Oil bypass filter and oil analysis?

Ronin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new here...

ANYWAY, after poking around a lil bit I didn't see if anyone had run an oil bypass system (like these HERE) or oil analysis (like Blackstone's). I do both with my diesel and thought it might be a good idea for my QC. The oil analysis are very telling and could potential warn about impending doom (like the #3 C/R for example)...

Thoughts? I'm all about proper maintenance and doing anything I can to make sure the drivetrain is running at its best. I really like that tranny upgrade kit that someone here is offering as a package (valve body, R/P ATF and upgraded bands).

Thanks...

Ronin said:
I'm new here...

ANYWAY, after poking around a lil bit I didn't see if anyone had run an oil bypass system (like these HERE) or oil analysis (like Blackstone's). I do both with my diesel and thought it might be a good idea for my QC. The oil analysis are very telling and could potential warn about impending doom (like the #3 C/R for example)...

Thoughts? I'm all about proper maintenance and doing anything I can to make sure the drivetrain is running at its best. I really like that tranny upgrade kit that someone here is offering as a package (valve body, R/P ATF and upgraded bands).

Thanks...

I ran the BMK-12 bypass system on my other truck

that went down due to a failed intake gasket that allowed coolant into the #4

cylinder. The engine had 116,500+ hard miles on it but looked new inside and

had no measurable wear on any bearing surfaces even though I had changed

the oil (Mobil 1/Amsoil series 2000) only 4 or 5 times.

I put the system on my Town Car and believe it has something to do with the

fact it has lived for 36,000+mi running as much boost as it is and not using a

drop of oil. The problem with these systems is most people are not

technically knowledgeable enough to understand the benefit and are scared

off by the initial cost.:rock:

I have been thinking a bypass and a preoiler from Amsoil, know anything about this?

supercar1of1 said:
I ran the BMK-12 bypass system on my other truck

that went down due to a failed intake gasket that allowed coolant into the #4

cylinder. The engine had 116,500+ hard miles on it but looked new inside and

had no measurable wear on any bearing surfaces even though I had changed

the oil (Mobil 1/Amsoil series 2000) only 4 or 5 times.

I put the system on my Town Car and believe it has something to do with the

fact it has lived for 36,000+mi running as much boost as it is and not using a

drop of oil. The problem with these systems is most people are not

technically knowledgeable enough to understand the benefit and are scared

off by the initial cost.:rock:

Thanks much for your reply supercar1of1, much appreciated...

The 6.0 Ford Powerstroke motor shears oil like nobody's business; it almost requires oil analysis to be done. As far as diesels go, a factory longblock is way more expensive than a gasser, not quite the level of the V-10, but you get the point. I'm just looking at it as insurance, and if you throw on a Fumoto drain valve (anyone know the size thread of the oil drain plug per chance?) getting a sample is real easy.

Possibly with the exception of the F/I guys, there's seems to be a decent amount of room to facilitate an oil bypass system without it being a problem. On my (S)Excursion ;) it's underneath the truck, mounted on the driver's side frame rail.

Diesels are pretty friggin' hard on oil, and when you run tuned and make all that groovy black smoke that the hybrids are choking on, it ends up as particulate in the oil, which is a wear issue. I am amazed at the incredible detail that can be told my Oil Analysis (OA) and I just can't help but think that at least some of these guys with #3 C/R issues might have had some warning. Engine/exhaust noise is an "issue" with these trucks so by the time you hear it, it's too late, and since my diesel sounds like a Harrier on the deck of an aircraft carrier, and I'm practically deaf, I'll leave my ears to more important jobs, like holding up my sunglasses, instead of relying on them to tell me when my $10K-ish motor is gonna grenade...

RMoore said:
I have been thinking a bypass and a preoiler from Amsoil, know anything about this?

IMHO If you use the bypass system w/ea syn

microfiber filters and Mobil 1 or series 2000 Amsoil it negates the need for the

preoiler. One of the traits of Synthetic oil is it seems to stay on hot surfaces

rather than running completely off like organic oil.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back