Oil change. What to use..

lukedovichak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey im sure theres a ton of posts about this, can some 1 just give me a quick reply of what to use, my 06 is going in tommorrow for the oil change and I just wanna know what to slam in it.

also what kind of coolant?

Why take it in? Do it yourself, save time, be sure it is done right, and take the time to check everything while you are under the truck...quality time with this beast is wonderful...go to the DIY section and you will have all the guidance you need.

Once you do these things for yourself once, you will never let anyone else touch it.

8.5 qts of Royal Purple and a Mopar oil filter. Depending on your personal needs perhaps a cold 6 pack of Budweiser. For replacing your sweet ethylene glycol (anti-freeze/coolant) make sure you use the proper stuff... Pink or red colored or something... NOT GREEN!!!

Annu my 2005 takes 8.5 qts on the nose----I use Mobile 1 0w40 and the mopar oil filter

keep the garlic in the clove form and wear it around your neck ---it will ward off any bad things that may come your trucks way---especially vampires and were wolves...:)

My truck holds 10 QTs. I have been using Mobile One synthetic 0W-40 as recemmended by the manual but may use Royal Purple 5W-40 the next oil change. I use the Mopar filter which IMO is as good as any.

If you have your dealer or whoever do the change make sure they use the correct filter. Dodge changed the part # and design for some reason (and tripled the price)....the filter should have "VIPER" printed on the side.

BTW...if you have the dealer change it be prepared to pay $100+...

forgot the coolant..

Copied from the 06 SRT10 manual:

When adding coolant, or refilling the system, a minimum
solution of 50% recommended HOAT ethylene glycol
engine coolant (antifreeze) and distilled water should be
used. Use higher concentrations (not to exceed 70%) if
temperatures below 34°F (37°C) are anticipated.
Use only high purity water such as distilled or deionized
water when mixing the water/engine coolant solution.
The use of lower quality water will reduce the amount of
corrosion protection in the engine cooling system.

lukedovichak said:
thank you

You are in Canada, correct? :confused:

I would use Mobil 1 0w40 with a Mobil 1 filter.... The 2006's take 10qts (not sure what the liter conversion is on that. :eek: ) The 2004-2005's take 8.5qts (they had a smaller oil pan).

The cap on your coolant resivoir should tell you what kind of coolant/anti-freeze to use. ;)

TNVIPER said:
My truck holds 10 QTs. I have been using Mobile One synthetic 0W-40 as recemmended by the manual but may use Royal Purple 5W-40 the next oil change. I use the Mopar filter which IMO is as good as any.
You clearly haven't dealt with that infamous moaning sound at start up (especially during cooler weather). I had that embarrassing problem until I started using Mopar filters. I even had that problem with my 98 Dodge truck with a 318 in it. Lesson? Mopar filter = no more noise problems.

lukedovichak said:
I dont trust the buggers in the service department.
First three oil changes were done at the dealership.. One particular dealership. Each oil change cost me over $100.00. The first oil change I was charged for 10 qts. so I assumed that was placed in my engine. The second oil change I was charged for 10 qts again but they only used 9. The third oil change I took my own 9 qts of M1 and they used 8.5 qts. of it. My brain simply overheated trying to understand what was going on. Eventually after three more changes at a better dealership I began buying oil and taking the truck to a local garage. Now I started doing my own changes since it's pretty darn easy.

Black1 said:
I would use Mobil 1 0w40 with a Mobil 1 filter.... The 2006's take 10qts (not sure what the liter conversion is on that. :eek: ) The 2004-2005's take 8.5qts (they had a smaller oil pan).
Quarts and Litres are pretty close.
10 qts. = 9.5L

Venom Power said:
You clearly haven't dealt with that infamous moaning sound at start up (especially during cooler weather). I had that embarrassing problem until I started using Mopar filters. I even had that problem with my 98 Dodge truck with a 318 in it. Lesson? Mopar filter = no more noise problems.

I have never heard the noise because I have always used Mopar filters on the truck and the former SRT8 & RT..

VIPR PWR said:
Annu my 2005 takes 8.5 qts on the nose----I use Mobile 1 0w40 and the mopar oil filter

8.5 should take care of it huh?? I'm nervous doing my own oil change:confused:

8.5 on the 05's it appears the 06's hold 10 qts Annu

TNVIPER said:
I have never heard the noise because I have always used Mopar filters on the truck and the former SRT8 & RT..

OHHHH, my bad.. I thought you were saying the Mopar filters were as good as any.. Meaning they are all the same. Mopar filters are top shelf with these trucks and are THE way to go.:D

I used to use 7.5 qts Modil 1 5w-30, one qt of Lucas Synthetic stabilizer, and a K&N oil filter. Truck ran like a champ.

So.. 7.5 - 10 qts.... That's a hell of a range between many of the forum members here... NOW I'm nervous.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back