oil choice....

pro-v8

Reaction score
i will go at the track in 9 days and will make some 1/4 miles race.
so i decided to change my engine oil before, but :confused:

i've read some thread about oil in our truck BUT because i'm in FRANCE , finding ROYAL PURPLE or other brand like that is nearly impossible.

so here's what i can found easily here :
- 15w40 - mineral - ACEA A2B2 , API SF/CD --> cheapest
- 10W40 - semi synthetic - ACEA A3/B3 , API Sl/Cf
- ALL Synthetic : 5w30, 5w40, 5w50, 0w30, 0w40.

i've read that the stock 0w40 is not good and that our engine like heavier oil to be quiet.
wheather T° is actually 80°F.

so what will be your advice ?

what do you think about some motorcycle oil like the MOTUL 3100 in 15W50 ? (the viscosity seems good, but what about the gear additives )

thanks for your help :)

go with 5/40 or 5/50 all synthetic, or the motul, biggest difference in the motul is it has anti foaming additives for the gear boxes

I would go with the 10/40 semi synthetic. Then order you a case or a few of 15/40 roetella Im sure stinker can hook you up.

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
go with 5/40 or 5/50 all synthetic, or the motul, biggest difference in the motul is it has anti foaming additives for the gear boxes

MOTUL is 15w while other all synthetic are 5w.

5W is enough for summer ?

depends on the heat in the area,

to be simple your first number is the start up weight of the oil, the second number is running weight,
so you should be good with a 5 weight on start up buddy

I have used mobil 1 5w40 synthetic diesel oil last year and castrol 5w50 synthetic this summer with no problems the 5w50 made my valvetrain quieter.

I use Mobile 1 full synthetic 10-30 as recommended

im due for an oil change... was gonna give that penziol ultra (that new "super synthetic") a shot... ill let u know if its worth it.... only question.. what weight you guys recommend... im in los angeles... i know a few of u guys here might chime in.

viperpwred said:
im due for an oil change... was gonna give that penziol ultra (that new "super synthetic") a shot... ill let u know if its worth it.... only question.. what weight you guys recommend... im in los angeles... i know a few of u guys here might chime in.
its a personal choice buddy

but this is what I use

the first number is your start up wieght, , the lower the number the thinner the oil, the easier the start up

the second number is operating temp weight, and again, the lower the number, the thinner, the higher the number the thicker,

it hot climates the thinner oil may break down easier and quicker than a thicker oil

in cold climates, the thicker the oil the harder it is on start up and on the engine

in perfect temps a good 5w/30 is aobut right

now on a side note, the thinner the oil the more hp you end up making due to less friction
but bad side is the thinner the oil, the easier and quicker it breaks down also

we wan a 0 weight in the race bikes, it was good for about 9 hp, but it had to be changed every weekend

Last edited:
JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
its a personal choice buddy

but this is what I use

the first number is your start up wieght, , the lower the number the thinner the oil, the easier the start up

the second number is operating temp weight, and again, the lower the number, the thinner, the higher the number the thicker,

it hot climates the thinner oil may break down easier and quicker than a thinner oil

in cold climates, the thicker the oil the harder it is on start up and on the engine

in perfect temps a good 5w/30 is aobut right

now on a side note, the thinner the oil the more hp you end up making due to less friction
but bad side is the thinner the oil, the easier and quicker it breaks down also

we wan a 0 weight in the race bikes, it was good for about 9 hp, but it had to be changed every weekend

what do you consider perfect temperature... lol
i was thinking about running 5w30 and L.A. temp is like 80-100 during summer

Perfect temps are mid 70's,
that is why usually in the summer I run a touch thicker oil, but in the winter drop down the weight jsut a touch

so if the 04 says 5w30 and 05 and 06 say 0w40... im guessing its safe to assume that since its the same engine.. both 0w40 and 5w30 are both very safe choices??? lol

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back