oil debate royal purple or mobil one synth?

OIL? :confused: We need to change oil in these things. The guys that sold it to me said it was maintanance free for 100k. :confused:

:D

nwappleby said:
what did they sell you a prius?

Careful, my wife is a chemist and can kill you in ways that no one will ever be able to detect...

P.S. The start button on the Prius says: "Power"....

Firstly, just because you get more HP out of a lubricant does NOT mean less protection. The dyno tests on RP were done using standard automotive 10w30 and 5w30 viscosity rated oils. They still picked up HP over their non-synthetic counter parts.

When it comes to protection, you may wish to do more research before commenting. The largest assault on engine “protectionâ€￾ was the API-SM oil spec that came out in 2004. This spec requires limiting the amount of sulfur and phosphorus for emissions systems protection. For those that aren’t up on the lubricant chemistry, sulfur and phosphorus are used as anti-wear and lubricity additives. Unfortunately, they also poison emission controls, which is why International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) recommended they be limited in the SM spec. ILSAC represents the auto manufacturers. They recommend the reduction of phosphorus and sulfur so they would not have to warranty as many emission component failures. There was a ton of controversy when this first was announced (especially since European auto’s don’t comply with US emission standards). You can Google and find lots of reading material if you like.

When I heard about this I contacted one of the engineers are RP and asked if they were going to comply with the new API-SM spec in their oils. I was told they would continue to comply with the API-SL spec until they were able to develop an additive package that would give the same engine PROTECTION with API-SM spec. All the RP I have purchased recently is API-SL, including the newer 5w20 I run in our Caliber.

So if your coveted brand of oil is using the API-SM rating, you are getting less anti-wear and lubricity additives. If you pay attention the next time you are at the auto parts store buying oil, you will notice that none of the “high mileageâ€￾ oils are API-SM rated (i.e. Mobil 1 10w30 high mileage). As far as I know there has not been a replacement for sulfur or phosphorus. If you are that concerned about protection, you need to do a little more research that believe their advertising. Start by looking at the back of the bottle.

Peace-out homies
-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
Firstly, just because you get more HP out of a lubricant does NOT mean less protection. The dyno tests on RP were done using standard automotive 10w30 and 5w30 viscosity rated oils. They still picked up HP over their non-synthetic counter parts.

When it comes to protection, you may wish to do more research before commenting. The largest assault on engine “protectionâ€￾ was the API-SM oil spec that came out in 2004. This spec requires limiting the amount of sulfur and phosphorus for emissions systems protection. For those that aren’t up on the lubricant chemistry, sulfur and phosphorus are used as anti-wear and lubricity additives. Unfortunately, they also poison emission controls, which is why International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) recommended they be limited in the SM spec. ILSAC represents the auto manufacturers. They recommend the reduction of phosphorus and sulfur so they would not have to warranty as many emission component failures. There was a ton of controversy when this first was announced (especially since European auto’s don’t comply with US emission standards). You can Google and find lots of reading material if you like.

When I heard about this I contacted one of the engineers are RP and asked if they were going to comply with the new API-SM spec in their oils. I was told they would continue to comply with the API-SL spec until they were able to develop an additive package that would give the same engine PROTECTION with API-SM spec. All the RP I have purchased recently is API-SL, including the newer 5w20 I run in our Caliber.

So if your coveted brand of oil is using the API-SM rating, you are getting less anti-wear and lubricity additives. If you pay attention the next time you are at the auto parts store buying oil, you will notice that none of the “high mileageâ€￾ oils are API-SM rated (i.e. Mobil 1 10w30 high mileage). As far as I know there has not been a replacement for sulfur or phosphorus. If you are that concerned about protection, you need to do a little more research that believe their advertising. Start by looking at the back of the bottle.

Peace-out homies
-Muzzy

I hoping you werent talking to me, I do a ton of homework, I commented that 0w oil is not a good oit to run for any extended period of time, and that on a dyno 0w will make more than 30w:D

Stinker said:
I hoping you werent talking to me, I do a ton of homework, I commented that 0w oil is not a good oit to run for any extended period of time, and that on a dyno 0w will make more than 30w:D

No, I was was generalizing. It is obvious who (like yourself) does their homework. Others fall victim to hype. I have my favorite vendors too, but they all succumb to government regulation and industry mandates. I am trying to encourage people to investigate before just assuming that if it says Mobil, RP, Castrol, on the label it is good.

On a side note regarding viscosities...the greater the difference between the winter rating and the warm viscosity in a multi-viscosity oil, the less lubricative properties. There is a trade off to get that greater range. There was a great article about it on the http://www.noria.com/ site. It was a couple years back, but they have a number of great articles on that site. Most is geared towards industrial stuff though.

Ultimately, if anyone really wants to know how their oil is performing, they need to do an oil analysis. I used to do that for my Cummins diesel when I had it.

-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
No, I was was generalizing. It is obvious who (like yourself) does their homework. Others fall victim to hype. I have my favorite vendors too, but they all succumb to government regulation and industry mandates. I am trying to encourage people to investigate before just assuming that if it says Mobil, RP, Castrol, on the label it is good.

On a side note regarding viscosities...the greater the difference between the winter rating and the warm viscosity in a multi-viscosity oil, the less lubricative properties. There is a trade off to get that greater range. There was a great article about it on the http://www.noria.com/ site. It was a couple years back, but they have a number of great articles on that site. Most is geared towards industrial stuff though.

Ultimately, if anyone really wants to know how their oil is performing, they need to do an oil analysis. I used to do that for my Cummins diesel when I had it.

-Muzzy

Hey sorry bro:( I need to apologize, I jumped too soon, i just got some news today that makes me a tad on the ill side:mad:

My apologies to ya bo:D

but you are very correct, i do a oil analysis on my Cat about every 3 months or so, man its amazing what they can tell from a small cup of oil.

all the way down to bearing wear:rock:

Stinker said:
Hey sorry bro:( I need to apologize, I jumped too soon, i just got some news today that makes me a tad on the ill side:mad:

My apologies to ya bo:D

but you are very correct, i do a oil analysis on my Cat about every 3 months or so, man its amazing what they can tell from a small cup of oil.

all the way down to bearing wear:rock:

No need to apologize. It is hard to gauge emotion from reading. Everyone has those days. I hope your day turns around and you get better news.

-Muzzy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back