Oil...from the outside lookin in...

NBT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, had the chance to talk to my Uncle last night, (hell of an engine builder/machinest/mechanic) and we got into oil in racing...was talking to him about the cavitation issue with these motors....First thing he asked...what viscosity oil you running?
Got me thinking that the 04's called for 30W oil.
He further stated that he learned long ago "the hard way" on one of his motors...had 1000 miles on her....was running 40W oil..."It's a race motor...I ain't running 30W".... WRONG. When they tore into the motor...pretty amazing how the oil forced bye the ringlands.
He further stated today's performance motor tolerances are so tight, that you need to run 30W so as not to endanger the rings, pistons, ect.

Neverthless...I thought it would open up a discussion what viscosity oil people were running, that have had windows in their blocks, ect......I know the 05' - 06's called ofr 40W...but:dontknow:

Food for thought.;)
Here is a pic of Uncle dan ,and one of his his "camaro's"...still lookin for the motor pics...damn thing is sick:rock:

Attachments

• Saturday%20TREMEC%20Trick%20Stick%20.jpg
    Saturday%20TREMEC%20Trick%20Stick%20.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 93
I LOVE THAT CAR!!!!!! My high school ride was an 81 camaro with a 4 speed, burgandy color with silver Z28 stripes. I have regretted selling that car since the day I did it. Good times in that machine.

Tell him if he ever wants to sell it to call me!!! Seriously.:rock: :rock:

Last edited:
oil

I run a racing oil,.........its called "oil extreme beyond synthetic", the additive that they make keeps my oil temp down by 10 degrees,this is way better than mobil 1,my friend richard miller has a 383 69 camaro with 680 horsepower,it is in the low 10s last time I watched him race it was 10.2, he hooks me up with the oil,and does the oil changes too!:rock:

I've always used 30w M1 oil in #1900.. So I suppose I'm good. BTW Ken, that car is so awesome. My uncle had a brown '81 Camaro Z28 like that when I was about 13. I absolutely loved that car so much that my first car was an '86 IROC-Z28.

Hell he has three of them...damned if I can find the motor pics...pretty stout for 540/546 na motor.:burnout: ;) :rock:
He is at Super Chevy events all over the place...cars are all put up for the winter now. Knocked a few :beer:back with him and my Aunt last night...:cheers:

Going to get wrapped up here in Toledo , and should be on the road later today. Get out of here while it's still in the mid 60's

Again...was just trying to get a reminder out there NOT to run a heavier viscosity (than MFG recommended) oil in your motor...just because "it's a performance motor";)

pro517 said:
I LOVE THAT CAR!!!!!! My high school ride was an 81 camaro with a 4 speed, burgandy color with silver Z28 stripes. I have regretted selling that car since the day I did it. Good times in that machine.

Tell him if he ever wants to sell it to call me!!! Seriously.:rock: :rock:

No prob...he was always a Ford guy when I was in gradeschool...had the quickest Mustangs around here and the dragstrip.:rock: Him and some of our family friends spent many weekends over at Tom Cash's place...a hell of a one legged drag car driver...his son is building motors for one of our NASCAR boys....;) :dontknow: :p :D

NBT said:
Hell he has three of them...damned if I can find the motor pics...pretty stout for 540/546 na motor.:burnout: ;) :rock:
He is at Super Chevy events all over the place...cars are all put up for the winter now. Knocked a few :beer:back with him and my Aunt last night...:cheers:

Going to get wrapped up here in Toledo , and should be on the road later today. Get out of here while it's still in the mid 60's

Again...was just trying to get a reminder out there NOT to run a heavier viscosity (than MFG recommended) oil in your motor...just because "it's a performance motor";)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back