Oil Issues

After reading everyones blog about the subject there seems to be only one solution which is to replace the piston rings. But if you pay the tech to replace the rings with some after market brand or would it be just as cheap to replace them and put in a supercharger?

If you are going to replace the rings replace the pistons too. It is the thin material on the dome of the stock pistons that causes the binding of the rings...replacing the rings only addresses the symptom of the thin dome of the piston. If it were me (and I am in the process of doing this right now) I would put new forged pistons and rods in while you have the engine apart...many say the rods are the real weak link...I don't know, but plenty have made that comment. If you are going to go into the engine go in with the intention of making everything well...and not having to go in again.

There are all kinds of response to this...cost is a factor, preference of the installer is important...time and availability are equally important.

Talk to the man that will do the work...if you want to know what I am putting in you should call Joe at PBJ in St. Louis...

iraqivet01 said:
Is that the norm for everyone who ownes one?

No. I have right at 25,000 miles on my truck, change the oil every 3,000 miles, and am not low between changes. And I do run mine hard.

Maybe just lucky so far.

oldguy

i burn 1 quart between changes and dont worry about it. airplane motors i build will sometimes pump the first quart out on the first flight and not burn a drop till oil change. i just tell them dont use 12 quarts but run 11 and they dont burn a drop. might check how many quarts there putting in?

next oil change try 1/2 a quart less and see how the burn is in 500 miles.

Well I found out the hard way what my issue after 4 years is. The cooling fan hose is the culprit! It jammed causing the hyd power steering pump to fail and leak keeping the engine from cooling and cooking every component in the top part of the engine. So $6500 rebuilt later the engine is at 171deg sounds better but in testing it out blew the clutch! WTF!! any ideas what I should get for this money pit?

damn dude 4 years later.... how many miles have you put on her over the time?

75k the tech says its the highest hes seen. its a vehicle its made to put mileage on

I suppose I got lucky with mine. At 84,000 miles, I'm still on the original clutch and just started having trouble with the slave cylinder. I've been going through oil like crazy (3-6 qarts per 3K miles) for about the last 20,000 miles, varying on how heavy my foot is.

From what I understand, if these engines don't warm up enough before being subjected to heavy load, the cylinders have a tendency to get egg-shaped. One symptom that I've experienced that I haven't seen discussed in any of the forums yet is an accompanying howl when oil is low (even by 1 quart or so). I would think that this is consistent with rings binding and resonating on the cylinder wall.

I first noticed this issue along with a tell tale plume of light smoke (I never understood why people call it "blue") at full throttle after a series of oil changes and a Dodge dealer who overfilled my '04. As it turns out, the '04 has a smaller oil cooler and holds less oil than every other 505. Even though it was overfilled and certainly showed as such on the dipstick, I never noticed any aeration in the oil as I've seen before in small and big Chevys when the crank is in oil.

Funny you mention this, Since I had all of this work done my oil consumption has dropped to almost nil. No "blue smoke" as I have been told to look for, but I did hear a howl when I started the engine. I did ask the tech to check my pistons to see if there were any type of warping and none could be found thank god! Hint? check your power steering fluid to see if your low or empty and check around it for "splatter" if you see any your heading down rebuild lane like me. I just bought a spec 3 clutch I highly recommend it! I have always told the dealer to fill it with 8 quarts right away wait ten min then put the 9th in if needed, these bitches have an oil temperment like no other.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back