Oil Issues

rmslattery

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,
I have a problem I have changed all my hoses and some how I'm burning oil. I have checked and checked for oil leaks and found none. I have taken it in to the tech and he has no clue. I figured maybe thats the way it is but my neighbor ViperVA has a 06' said that he doesn't have any oil leaks. I burn about 3 quarts a month and for fear of blowing the engine I don't run her anymore. anybody have a clue?

These Viper motors after about 20,000/miles will burn 1-2/qts. every 3,000/miles or so.
Depending on the weight of your right foot.....

How many miles you got on her?

Quick

How many miles do ya have?

how many miles in between oil changes?

what mods ya got?

how led footed are ya?

what type oil and filter do ya use?

rmslattery said:
Hey Ya'll,
I have a problem I have changed all my hoses and some how I'm burning oil. I have checked and checked for oil leaks and found none. I have taken it in to the tech and he has no clue. I figured maybe thats the way it is but my neighbor ViperVA has a 06' said that he doesn't have any oil leaks. I burn about 3 quarts a month and for fear of blowing the engine I don't run her anymore. anybody have a clue?

What mod's do you have? i.e. S/C, catch can....

Check your spark plugs and see what condition they are in. and run a compression check if they haven't done it yet.

When you say 3 quarts a month, how many miles are we talking about, not that make a difference, but it will tell how bad the situation is.

Could be a blown head gasket, broken ring, or something going wrong in the head. The compression check and looking at the plug will tell where your problem might be.

QuickSilver said:
These Viper motors after about 20,000/miles will burn 1-2/qts. every 3,000/miles or so.
Depending on the weight of your right foot.....

Is that the norm for everyone who ownes one?

Compression check would be my first inclination. Rings are very fragile.

I don't think a quart every three thousand miles would be an issue. That is well within the acceptable usage expectations.

There was a recent study that showed if your a homosexual operating a SRT-10, that your truck tends to leak or use more oil, LOL, Just kidding Rich!!! If you cant fix this truck im gonna have to advise you to look into purchasing the "Elton John/Wham" limited edition 2007 Mini Cooper!! Im sure that doesnt burn oil but you may end up having a leak yourself!!

Good Luck bro, these guys on the forum really know their shiznit about these awesome trucks!!!

(FYI, if you need a compression check, the guys at your local Rainbow Coalition location can provide you with a free one but you may have to take em out for dinner afterword, LOL)

There was a lot of talk about this subject not to long ago.If you do a search i think you will have plenty to read. I currently have 46,000 mi. And go through a quart every 1,000 mi. I have had to the dealer many times. One quart every 3,000 mi. is normal. They said mine is within factory standards.

Hav someone stand behind your truck and watch your exhaust while you rev it up hard and let it go back to idle, If you get a puff of blue smaoke at the end of this it's your crank case breather setup pulling oil into the intake!!

If theres a stedy stream of blue you have bigger problem!

Mine did it before the SC install!! Doesn't burn oil now that the crank case has a catch can!!

VAViperPower said:
There was a recent study that showed if your a homosexual operating a SRT-10, that your truck tends to leak or use more oil, LOL, Just kidding Rich!!! If you cant fix this truck im gonna have to advise you to look into purchasing the "Elton John/Wham" limited edition 2007 Mini Cooper!! Im sure that doesnt burn oil but you may end up having a leak yoursel

It funny you know so much about that Mini Cooper?
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

I did have it pressure tested and the tech said it was fine. I have 44k miles with no smoke (first thing i checked)thanks btw, i do have a 70% lead foot. I have a suspicion that it might be the oil cooler cause one of the many oil hoses i changed was oily. Mark (vaviperpower)are you still triing to sell me your Elton John/Wham xmas themed Mini Cooper? Dude I can't sit in your foreskin leather interrior mini its just too much!

ive seen a few minis driving around but none as nice as the one he might have to buy. If he revs his engine and a puff of rainbow colored smoke comes out is that an even bigger issue??? LOL Whats the fix for that???? Also, the license plate on the truck reading: brokbac scares the hell out of me!!! :elefant:

Last edited:
Chip mod, ram intake, magnaflow exhaust, blue rev lights(which i have no clue) and the dyno says 650. I smell oil at times and never see it was thinking of buying the car but if I have these issues with the truck....

hey mark, its been 3 months since you bought your viper truck isn't it time for you to sell? I'll trade you for yours and your can trade it in for your XXX pirates of the san francisco bay cabrolet?

iraqivet01 said:
Is that the norm for everyone who ownes one?
This seems to be the way mine is going....went to different oil, and different filter...per Dan @ dcperformance.

Quick

VAViperPower said:
Also, the license plate on the truck reading: brokbac scares the hell out of me!!! :elefant:

LMAO.............you guys are hilarious!!!!

Mine uses a quart or more every 3k for sure.............has since day one. I have 11k miles on her.

patrick

QuickSilver said:
This seems to be the way mine is going....went to different oil, and different filter...per Dan @ dcperformance.

Quick

Thanks QuickSilver. I'm glad someone is keeping to this thread.
What oil and filter did you switch to, and did it slow the oil useage?

Dan went with the "Mopar/Viper" custom oil-filter.....:nurse:
The oil stayed at Mobil-1, but went to there 15/50.
He just did this three days ago, will let you know if it helped after 3,000/miles.

Quick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back