Oil Leak From Bell Housing

BadCompany9119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has been leaking oil from the plate under the bell housing i took it in to get the gm solenoid put in and have the leak checked out, but they said they did not want to rip apart the tranny without knowing where the leak was coming from. They told me when they took the plate off under the housing there was oil puddled up in there and coating all the walls inside.

So for now they put in dye in my oil and I'm going back in a week so they can look under the truck with a black light and try and see exactly where the leak is. I'm just trying to see if anyone had an ideas what this could be, I'm trying to get an idea of what i mite be looking at paying for something like this. I already know there going to charge alot to take the tranny apart if they have too. So anyone have any idies on what this could be?

Alright I'll let them know and see what they find when i go back, I just was worried it mite have been something more serious and going back to school last thing i need is a new tranny or something. Thanks for the quick reply guys

Sorry stinker i sent you 2 pm's about the lines by accident btw lol

I noticed #1900 dripping some motor oil around the front center area (like one or two drops after sitting overnight). I am not sure if it's the oil lines leaking again or if it's residue dripping off of something else that's getting sprayed by the oil lines. Perhaps oil filter? It's a pain in the rump.

fords never stop leaking. speaking from experience get a luk clutch if it cant be stopped. the old one on the ford just kept slipping. fords cannot be stopped.

Many of us have had rear main seeps...usually not enough to drip onto the garage floor, but enough to spread oil smear on the undercarriage.

Replace the rear main seal...now or when you rebuild...and you will rebuild...

All of us do sooner or later...

O I'm already planning on it lol, been sitting here figuring out everything i plan on doing to the truck once i get out of school again and get a better job.

Prof said:
Many of us have had rear main seeps...usually not enough to drip onto the garage floor, but enough to spread oil smear on the undercarriage.

Replace the rear main seal...now or when you rebuild...and you will rebuild...

All of us do sooner or later...

That's a rather grim look into the future. :( I'm dreading it..

Yea i finally got to put my truck in the garage last week to finish installing my nav unit and after pulling it out there was a little puddle of oil. I looked under and saw it along the bottom of the truck, checked the oil level and i was down about 3 quarts or so, checked 3 days later before i brought it to the shop and the dipstick was only halfway up to the first star so there was nothing in there. I don't have any 0w 40 at home either so that was a scary dive, good thing the shop is 2 mins away. Funny thing is i noticed the truck did not have the 1-2-1-2-1-2 shift problem when it was low on oil, but thats fixed now with the gm solenoid anyway.

BadCompany9119 said:
Yea i finally got to put my truck in the garage last week to finish installing my nav unit and after pulling it out there was a little puddle of oil. I looked under and saw it along the bottom of the truck, checked the oil level and i was down about 3 quarts or so, checked 3 days later before i brought it to the shop and the dipstick was only halfway up to the first star so there was nothing in there. I don't have any 0w 40 at home either so that was a scary dive, good thing the shop is 2 mins away. Funny thing is i noticed the truck did not have the 1-2-1-2-1-2 shift problem when it was low on oil, but thats fixed now with the gm solenoid anyway.

Sounds like your leak is the rear main oil seal but it could also be the trans. I had a rear main leak prior but just had a front seal and pump leak which will be in the same place (under the cover where the rear main and trans meet). Check the leak and wipe some on a paper towl and see if it is redish in color and smells a little pungent. If it is then its trans fluid.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back