Oil line problems by ztx

1sicponi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned about the ambiance temp being 17 degrees. Have started mine in less then that, but usually let it warm up for a few minutes after pulling out of the garage. I was told at the dealer, when I bought it to make sure I used 0-40 Mobil 1 fully synthetic for oil changes if I did the oil changes myself. To my surprise, When I received my manuals for the 06 SRT10 it read. Engine shipped with 10-30 fully synthetic oil. I considered this as a way for the dealer to make some more money on me if I chose to change it myself. Maybe I was wrong? 0-40 is the most expensive oil on the market. 12 bucks a quart at my dealer. Can't say if they had a reason financially or not, but so far I have no leaks. Dry as sitting on the dealers' floor. I know because I slid under it on the show room floor just to see what I could see. Looked like some serious shit to me. Thought I might see a puuuk ten bolt rear like I have seen in Chevy SUV's and trucks. Best rear ever made was 9 in FORD Locker. Then again Dana isn't bad. bobby mac AKA the rambler

0w40 can be purchased elsewhere for under $6 a quart---I get it at walmart w/ mopar filter

FYI posts from Dan Lesser regarding oil viscosities in our rides from another forum - I hope you don't mind Dan:

=================================================

The difference betwen the 03-04 and 05-6 engines are the main bearings. The 03-04 use a 120 degree main and call for 10W-30. The 05-06 mains are 180 degree. In order to keep pressure up in the later engines, they switched to 0W-40. Keep in mind, a rebuilt 03-04 engine with 180 mains will need to switch to 0W-40.

However, the pre-05 engines can still use 0W-40, in fact it is recomended- MUCH better oil for a performance application. It is a full supercedance recomendation applying to all years.
2004 White Mamba Viper SRT-10, VS-1500TT #001
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8

Actually 0W-40 is thicker, when it matters most. Technically, 0W-40 is thinner than 10w-30 at low temps, but remains "thicker" at higher temps while 10w-30 degrades to a lower viscosity. This is the reason it is more expensive and tougher to make, it is MUCH more stable than a 10W-30 oil.

PS- No problem running 15W-50 M1 during the warmer months on 05-06 cars, and can also benefit earlier cars on the track where the temps really creep up.
2004 White Mamba Viper SRT-10, VS-1500TT #001
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8

On a 120 degree main, the areas outside the red lines are solid, there is no groove cut.

Basically, a 180 degree main assures that the crankshaft oil journals are recieving oil all of the time. On a 120, due to journal offset or only being a 2-hole cross journal, the connecting rods recieve no oil pressure during some part of the rotation. Under normal circumstances this is fine, but under higher power levels, couple this with a weak oil pump (this is why we have adapted the new 2008 system to work with these engines) as well as pickup issues (mainly affecting the car, not so much the truck due to the deeper sump) and you have a spun-bearing ticking time bomb.

Note: Even though the pic is indeed of a 180 degree main engine that spun some rod bearings, it was the fault of the pan much more than anything else. Couple 1000+ horsepower with road-race tires on a road couse..... all with a stock oil pan, and thats end game for sure. Just goes to show you need to look at the whole package, not just one item.

There are also some pictures of the new engine going together up on the site right now. The owner decided not to skip the pan this time for sure!

=============================================

Ouch!

Last edited:
vipr pwr 0-40

VIPR PWR said:
0w40 can be purchased elsewhere for under $6 a quart---I get it at walmart w/ mopar filter
Thanks. I did get it at auto barn for 8. They normaly don't carry it. I bought the 0 -40 at the dealer so I would have a receipt if they asked me if I changed the oil. bobbymac

Thank you Gri macE. I do understand where the information you sent is coming from. If you can? Will you please answer this Question, Why does my 2006 ram truck, Including SRT 10 and Diesel, service manual tell me that my SRT 10 ram truck was shipped with 10-30 synthetic oil. If, as you say it has 180 degree journals and uses 0-40 synthetic oil? Don't mean to split hairs but there is a big difference between 10-30 and 0 40. Thanks again bobby mac

My service manual says it too. I'd have to say it's a misprint that was not changed to reflect the oil used in the 05-'06's -- my oil filler cap says "factory fill 0w40 Mobil 1"

also note that Dan Lesser stated "However, the pre-05 engines can still use 0W-40, in fact it is recomended- MUCH better oil for a performance application. It is a full supercedance recomendation applying to all years." I believe he means all viper engines can use 0w40

Thanks Gri Mac E, Thought maybe I was seeing things. I will check my oil filler cap. Let you know if it is different. bobby mac

good info here for sure. bottom line is get rid of the POS factory engine oil cooler lines. at the least a mess created. at the most you can post photos of a burned up engine.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back