Oil PSI

Fireracer27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, blew my oil filter off today. Best oil filter Mobile One makes. My buddy says its got to much oil pressure, he says it should have around 10 idling and 40 under power. I call BS on those figures. Its showing 80 psi running. Is that to high? The gauge has always shown the same in the 4 years I've owned it. It has right at 14000 miles. Do I have a problem? Thanks in advance. Mark

Mine run around 75 psi warmed up at cruising speed and never drops below 65 at Idle ,,, Never blew a filter ...Mopar black MO-090 filter from walmart. Also running 15-50 mobil 1 oil

I think mine always ran right were its at now. There was a rash of filters blowing off a few months ago. At the time everybody thought it was cheap filters. That filter only had about 500 miles on it. My truck is a 2004, completely stock ecept K&N filter and Magnaflow exhaust 14000 miles on it.

I just use normal Fram filter and mine idles about 60-80 pending on engine temp and i can tell you the filter is definitly a PITA to get off cuz of the oil pressure it gets SUPER tight but never blown off or anything like that.....

There's a lot of BS out there about oil pressure but the truth is every engine design is different. Buddy of mine tried to tell me that my my oil pressure should always be 10 PSI per 1000 RPM (example 25 psi at 2500 RPM). Yeah I don't think so, there's no way ANY motor I know of idles around 8 PSI. My Jeep sits at 35-40 PSI idling and between 50-65 PSI when cruising depending on RPM and how far in my foot is. From what I know of the Viper motor 70+ PSI is pretty normal so I think you're fine and the filter just might not have been tightened enough or was defective. Do you take your truck to a lube shop or DIY?

I've always done my own oil changes but about a month ago I finally convinced my mom to run synthetic in her Dakota, she was about 2K miles overdue on conventional yet the filter came off by hand on the first try with no effort at all. I had been pissed at myself because I left my filter wrench at my apartment and wasn't driving 45 miles back to go get it so I tried it once by hand just to see and it came right off. I was shocked it was so easy to pull off. Now I always tell people not to go to Jiffy Lube anymore. Sorry for the long story but my point is that if you go to a lube shop you shouldn't trust them to do it right.

No Jiffy lube,this guy is a really good mechanic and a close freind, but the Viper motor is different and he like most people have no idea what they are. He is the only one I trust to work on my cars. i told him it was ok, he wants to check with dodge, I think the filter failed for whatever reason. They don't make any of that stuff as good as they used to. Thanks guys for all the answers.

It was pretty funny and lucky, it happened about a half mile from my house. I got on it a little, shifted at 4500 and it sounded like a pop off valve. I'm glad they have a check gauges light. Its still one of the funnest vehicles I've ever owned. Thanks again.

the '04's are prime canidates for the oil pump by pass valve up date:rock::rock:

there was a nice sticky on it. but when the vendor house cleanin took place ALOT of dam good/useful info got trashed:mad::(

bout the only thing left on the by pass valve are these photos. the bottom one is the latest & greatest

Attachments

• 100_0285_0016.jpg
    100_0285_0016.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • 100_0284_0015.jpg
    100_0284_0015.jpg
    953.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
lets not get too carried awy they will blow up too hahahahaah lol....i have a really good memory hold on.....

They blow up on you because you have massive amounts of power. :D

It's possible though that as great as K&N's are they may just not be ideal for the high PSI of the Viper motor...

However 99% of the time I stand by K&N for synthetic and Purolator for conventional.

Last edited:
If your truck is blowing filters off, change out the bypass valve. the originals were defective and really challenged the strength of the filter. you probably heard a whine and/or squeal at cold startup normally. the valve doesn't bypass enough oil and splits the filter. the price of the upgrade is not worth the cost of an engine .

If your truck is blowing filters off, change out the bypass valve. the originals were defective and really challenged the strength of the filter. you probably heard a whine and/or squeal at cold startup normally. the valve doesn't bypass enough oil and splits the filter. the price of the upgrade is not worth the cost of an engine .

What years require this upgrade?

'04's to early '05's

there is a castin/part number on the front cover. Kevin @ Exotic Engines had the list.

i would bet that Stinker, Sean or other vendors that mess with our engines can help ya

Last edited:
'04's to early '05's

there is a castin/part number on the front cover. Kevin @ Exotic Engines had the list.

i would bet that Stinker, Sean or other vendors that mess with our engines can help ya

Cool thank you, the 10 I've been looking at is an 05, I've got the VIN # for it but not the build date but I think I can get that pretty easily.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back