Oil Temp Gauge is not working...

Prof

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suspect the sensor but it seems to just sit on about 200 even when the engine is turned off...

Is there a way to tell if the problem is the sensor or the gauge?

Thanks,

i would be scared now a days to ground the harness at the sensor. might not want to stop runnin after ya turn it off, lol.
& does the oil temp run through the ECM???

Unhook the wires to your guage..turn the truck on and put wires to your tongue...if you get shocked it is probably the guage.....if this sounds complicated wait until somebody that knows something like Stinker chimes in...:dontknow: :marchmellow:

mine did the exact same thing, it was the gauge in my truck that went bad( temp was on 200 degrees on or off and did not sweep at all). I bought one off ebay.

I tried the tongue thing and got my first hard-on in five years...I'm leaving it like it is and using it as a sex aide for the next ten years.

You could use a multimeter to test across the leads to the gage.

Don't know how the name "Wil" got there, but my fingers have a mind of their own...

measure the resistance across the sender with the wires disconnected. then post up your findings

FlyingLow said:
Is it sitting on 200 when you start?

Yup, just stays at 198 all the time...no movement with or without power. Seems that would indicate that the problem is the gauge...?

Sounds like the gauge to me. I would think that if the sender or sensor were bad the gauge would go dead at zero, or you would see fluctuations.

ntw0rk said:
Sounds like the gauge to me. I would think that if the sender or sensor were bad the gauge would go dead at zero, or you would see fluctuations.

+1 on the gauge or the power supply. I don't know if the gauge in the truck is AC or DC and I don't have my truck to check. But in the aircraft we have AC and DC gauges. If an AC gauge loses power then the gauge will not drop to zero, but just kind of freezes. Well not really freezes as it can move. DC gauges drop to zero with no power. Hence the term AC lies and DC dies.

Be careful, if you try the wires with your tongue you could have an "always-on" effect also in your pants!

attila said:
Be careful, if you try the wires with your tongue you could have an "always-on" effect also in your pants!

any danger of an instantanious creamage in the front area of the pants? or maybe an instantanious pastage of brown goo in the rear area of the pants?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back