Oil temp

Devil Inside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decided to do a oil change on my truck with RP 10w-30 with a Mobil 1 oil filter and I have noticed that my oil temp is higher than normal. Before the oil change I ran about 200 and my engine ran about the same. My oil pressure was always at 50 psi and now I'm running 220 oil temp and about the same engine temp. My oil pressure is now 50 psi if I am cruising and drops to about 20 psi at idle. Is this still normal range for these trucks cause I never had a problem before this in my other cars. Last thing I wanna do is do damage to my truck that I just got about 3 weeks ago. I have to say this is one bad ass truck.

Thanks
Devil

I use mobil1 0w40 for the higher zinc and phosphate levels in the oil. Do some research on the new zinc levels in oil and you will find just a few with the higher levels that our non roller motors need.

And if you hear a weird noise at startup...its from the oil filter. Just stick with the black mopar filter and you should have no problems.

I run the same oil. My results was opposite. That's strange?

And if you hear a weird noise at startup...its from the oil filter. Just stick with the black mopar filter and you should have no problems.

more than likely its not your oil filter. might need the oil pump by-pass valve update:rock:

I use mobil1 0w40 for the higher zinc and phosphate levels in the oil. Do some research on the new zinc levels in oil and you will find just a few with the higher levels that our non roller motors need.

how ya figure "non roller"???

we have roller lifters & sort of a roller rocker in our engines:rock:

I have not heard any weird noise. I did thou run a lot hotter today. I got up to 230 today

Maybe your in need of coolant and/or a radiator flush?

When I bot my truck and brought her home there was a sticker from the last oil change and they were running 10w 30 Pennzoil with a Fram filter, I changed to Mobil 1 0w40 and a Mobil filter and my temp dropped from 220 to 180?

It the high speed fan kicking in? might be a fan problem. the fan runs off the power steering pump,have you any steering problems? have you done any work on the truck? The oil pressure seems odd as well. shouldn't go much lower than 50 at idle. might be a gauge problem. Check it with a real gauge.

So I decided to do a oil change on my truck with RP 10w-30 with a Mobil 1 oil filter and I have noticed that my oil temp is higher than normal. Before the oil change I ran about 200 and my engine ran about the same. My oil pressure was always at 50 psi and now I'm running 220 oil temp and about the same engine temp. My oil pressure is now 50 psi if I am cruising and drops to about 20 psi at idle. Is this still normal range for these trucks cause I never had a problem before this in my other cars. Last thing I wanna do is do damage to my truck that I just got about 3 weeks ago. I have to say this is one bad ass truck.

Thanks
Devil

Your oil pressure looks fine. As for temps...our cooling system imho is adequate but certainly not great. There in Phx when temps soar my oil/water would run hot (about 210). Just wait till you get on it and CPU pulls a HUGE amount of timing due to heat. Feels like it falls on its face.

Remember to that we have a oil/coolant exchanger. helps with getting oil warmed up quickly but also puts added stress on cooling system when ambient temps go over 110F.

I did manage to solve my problem....I moved to Flagstaff. Never see's over 180F now. :burnout:

Here in Texas at 100* my truck stays at a consistent 190* and oil is 185*. They are usually about the same which makes total sense. Id say the coolant needs changing along with the T stat and cleaning of the radiator. I don't like to see em above 210 ever! That's my personal preferance but like Chuck B said, as Intake Temps and coolant temps rise timing is deducted from the engine and therefore loses power it would have not seeing that high a temp. I run 5/50 mobil 1 and it stays very consistent. 0-30 is more for cooler climates! I recommend a 5/50 or 10/40 Mobil 1 as I've never had good luck with the RP brands.:dontknow:

The Viper V-10 has Roller Lifters and Rockers.

VENOMOUS1 said:
All kindsa crazy information huh? LMAO:D

No kidding people should not talk what they don't know... The misinformation out there is scary!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back