oil viscosity question

TNVIPER said:
Yep....05/06 will pull on an 04....:D
So if I change the gears to 4 56 or 88's then I change my oil :dontknow: :dontknow: I ask because I thought from 04 to 05 the only difference was brakes and gears:dontknow: :dontknow:

I think they had knock sensors and resonators on the 05's,also.

As time went on,they made changes based on what they thought was better.

0W40 will work in an 04 just fine,as will 0W30 and 10W30

Last edited:
I use royal purple ----05 QC 8.5 qts. actual...but put all nine qts. in....

mobil-1, 0W40 is recommended for the 05 qc's --I believe another viscostity is recommended for the 04's...

The reason for the different viscosity from '04 to '05 was that 0-40 was not available at the time the '04's began assembly. I went to a seminar at one of the VOI's and we were told that in the SRT engineers that were there the consensus would be to use 0-40 in all gen 3 engines. As synthetics improve they might recommend different viscositys in the future

Think I am going to switch from Royal purple to AMSoil. I think quite a few on here use it

Depends on Mods, Location, Temperature, driving style.....

Ever notice that the oil viscosity is the same on trucks in California and trucks in New York. Dodge used the 0w-40 as a universal 'good for all' oil, it meets the demands for the -30 degree guy, and the +110 degree guy.

A specific oil viscosity should be used (if you want to get max protection and performance) for YOUR specific needs. Your oil viscosity can change depending on the season and climate. I use 15w-50 in the summer and 0-40w in the winter, but once again, everyone's needs slightly different.

Demon 8 said:
Think I am going to switch from Royal purple to AMSoil. I think quite a few on here use it
If you buy a 5gal bucket of RP it is alot cheaper then buying a case.Just a thought.

DevilDawg3097 said:
If you buy a 5gal bucket of RP it is alot cheaper then buying a case.Just a thought.
Agreed and I bet the same could be said about AMSoil;)

Demon 8 said:
Agreed and I bet the same could be said about AMSoil;)
That maybe be true. But RP is what it claims I sent it out to be test at 3000k miles (as I do with most new oils that claim they last) they said the rp did not even begin to break down yet and at 6000 miles it was just about ready to change. There the only one (without adding additives) that it actually does what it claims. FOr a daily driver this is an advantage, for racers they get 1 or more days at the track before the other ones. Just my input. Being in the heavy equipment business I get ever cook salemans with the same pitch, I try them and put them to the test. I even may have my boss Talked into me using RP for or pavers, that how much I have come to love RP. Damn now only if I got paid for that.:marchmellow: :D Plus I have a S/C so Rp is a must:p

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back