Ok. Someone explain why the ACLU is against this.

Ram From Hell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an amendment up for a vote in Washington that would give judges more power to deny bail to suspects accused of serious crimes. This comes as a result of efforts made in this state in response to the four Lakewood, WA police officers murdered by Maurice Clemons (a violent felon who was let out on bail).

So tell me why it is that the ACLU has spoken out against this. Are civil liberties really being jeopardized?

Ram From Hell said:
There is an amendment up for a vote in Washington that would give judges more power to deny bail to suspects accused of serious crimes. This comes as a result of efforts made in this state in response to the four Lakewood, WA police officers murdered by Maurice Clemons (a violent felon who was let out on bail).

So tell me why it is that the ACLU has spoken out against this. Are civil liberties really being jeopardized?

Can you post the article you speak of? All I can find on this subject is Huckabee trying to defend his reason for letting him out of jail...

The ACLU at times takes cases that don't make sense but I would love to read this one. Maybe they have a defensible reason..

The ACLU is for the good of the "person", not the "people".....the world would be better w/o them.....dont know about your case here..:dontknow:

jelms said:
Can you post the article you speak of?

Unfortunately, I cannot. This was on the local NBC news affiliate last evening.

It struck me as odd that they would frame the comment with "No one has yet to come out in opposition to the measure, but the ACLU has spoken out against this."

Pardon me, but here's your sign.

How can no one be in opposition AND the ACLU has spoken out against it? How effing dumb is their typical audience member anyway? Separate issue, but I found it typical of left-coast thinking.

What gripes my ass that in light of some pretty horrific problems that anyone would have what they believe is a rational argument against efforts to help prevent similar occurrences in the future.

"The ACLU should be indicted under RECO statutes......

Upon being found guilty, the penalty should be carried out by firing squad.........."

-Michael Savage

Django said:
"The ACLU should be indicted under RECO statutes......

Upon being found guilty, the penalty should be carried out by firing squad.........."

-Michael Savage

RICO ;)

Racketeering Influenced Corrupt Organization

but I agree :D

My question is...

Judges have that ability already. They can always deny bail, why does there need to be an amendment?

It's a good thing (that) there's some nice liberal folks out there.....

Otherwise, sometimes I'd wanna kill 'em all..........

Except Jeff.......... he rules.

D

ViperJeff said:
My question is...

Judges have that ability already. They can always deny bail, why does there need to be an amendment?

I would agree Jeff. I always thought judges had the utmost authority in their court. Of course they have to follow the law, but why should there be an amendment guiding them on bail?

Seems stupid, but I have yet to read the case. Can't find it.

-jeff

Django said:
It's a good thing (that) there's some nice liberal folks out there.....

Otherwise, sometimes I'd wanna kill 'em all..........

Except Jeff.......... he rules.

D

You must be talking about "the other Jeff"... I'm not a liberal, just a person in the center that look liberal at times...

-jeff

It's always the other Jeff

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back