Old questions?

1sicponi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one is easy. a planes wings create lift moving through air. Less air, less dense air, IE altitude. Thats why you don't find prop air planes flying around at 50000 feet. Nor do you find jets 5000 miles in space. Still trying to figure out what wheel speed over a conveyor belt had to do with a plane lifting off. We tie light air craft to the ground so they don't lift off in a 60 mile an hour wind without a pilot aboard. If it does not move through the air? No lift. And for the wise guys. I know all about a Harrier jet. If you stood a prop plane on its tail with enough thrust it would go up. For how long? Its called hanging from the prop in aerobatics.
A jet plane is traveling at 2800 feet per second over the ground heading north. You fire an M14 308 bullet that travels along at 2800 feet per second over the ground heading south? Whats gonna happen to the bullet. The bullet will fall out of the barrel because it is moving at the same speed as the jet? If you believe this? Would you stand in front of that M14. I don't think so! Think of it this way. If you were on a US space craft speeding along at 2000 + mph away from earth. Thats faster then a speeding bullet. Point the M14 to wards earth and pull the trigger. A little rocket ship will come out the end. Please do not try this, will cause harm or death. A bullet carries its own potential energy regardless of the speed or direction it is going away from or heading to wards. Speed as we calculate it is only relative to earth, which spins and travels through space at a tremendous speed. Who really knows? Ask the Prof.
How far can you go into the forest? I like center, rather then half way. Forests are normally not on a flat surface. They are up and down. The center is the center even if you get caught inside a mountain before you can start heading out. I know this is splitting hairs but center is center. Half way between heaven and earth and I just am not sure where the hell I am at. AKA the rambler

Well what bit you in the ass and sent you down this path?

By the way, you are wrong. The reason you do not see prop planes at 50,000 feet is that the engines do not operate due to the lack of oxygen. That is why the WWII planes went with turbos and SC's to increase the oxygen content within the cylinder by increasing the amount of air. The wings create the same amount of lift regardless of the engine.

If you look back at the early jet and rocket powered aircraft you will notice that they did not have swept back wings. This created all kinds of drag and related handling problems. That is why all jet powered aircraft now have swept back wings.

Don't have time to get into this any more at this time.

A B-29 got to 48K (or 52K depending on details - lvl flight vs zoom) before.
A Boeing Condor got to 66K.

Ibelieve the wheelspeed over the conveyor belt refers to a test that Myth Busters did.

If you put a plane on a conveyour belt and have the belt running the opposite direction the plane is facing. The plane ramps up it's power to where it would normally take off( assume no wind) and run the conveyor belt at that same speed, will the plane lift off?

The answer is yes, however the wheel speed will be 2 times what it would normally be before lift off!!

Marc T, I have been corrected. I was under the impression that the plane was not moving through the air, IE wind speed. The conveyor belt would be of no consequence to the plane moving forward. Thank you, bobbymac

Bone, I meant -- Normally you will not find a prop flying around at 50000 ft. I doubt you would find a Cessna 150 up there. ha ha bobby mac

Silverback, No need to get your back hairs standing on end. I stand by my opinion but choose not to go against your pen and pencil which are sharper then mine. However, I will not lay on my back with my feet in the air in submission. Your theory dictates that if the engine on a prop plane was given enough oxygen (air at sea level), from compressed air tanks? It could go into space? No need for a comment. bobbymac

Last but not least. The (original post). The bullet and the train.
The M14 and bullet and the train are at point A, heading North.The trigger is pulled on the M14 pointed South. One second later the train and gun are at point B. The bullet is laying on the ground at point A.
Question? What does the window look like at the back of the train? Be thankful that you were not looking out the same window! bobbymac

1sicponi said:
Silverback, No need to get your back hairs standing on end. I stand by my opinion but choose not to go against your pen and pencil which are sharper then mine. However, I will not lay on my back with my feet in the air in submission. Your theory dictates that if the engine on a prop plane was given enough oxygen (air at sea level), from compressed air tanks? It could go into space? No need for a comment. bobbymac

That's okay Bobby, you get a comment for free.;)

Sorry, I should have included a :D at the end of the first sentence in my post. Your thread came out of left field and covered a number of different subjects, and that is why I wrote what I did. It was almost like one of those toys you wind up and it goes around and hits everything. :p :D

All is fine on my end.:)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back