One side lower than the other...

dcapita

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed some beltech shackles today and noticed that the passenger side sits about an inch higher than the drivers in the rear. Anyone have this same issue or an explanation for why this might be. I think I noticed this before the shackles but never measured. Thanks in advance.

I've noticed this on many, many trucks if not all of them. Think It was Dodge's way of offsetting the weight of the Viper engine being offset to the passenger side a couple inches. I think they overcompensated. It could also be the shackles are in a bind and you need to get under her while the weight of the truck is on the suspension, loosen bolts, bounce on rear of truck, then retighten bolts. Otherwise the difference is in the front springs I believe. Not sure if there's a different part number for front left and right, but that can be easily determined.:burnout:

The reason Dodge has done this is for when the drive line torques up, when it's torqued up its all in align, they started this way back in the muscle car days.

The reason Dodge has done this is for when the drive line torques up, when it's torqued up its all in align, they started this way back in the muscle car days.

While I agree with this somewhat, I think our offset in the bay Viper engines were the primary reasoning from what I've researched.:dontknow:

While I agree with this somewhat, I think our offset in the bay Viper engines were the primary reasoning from what I've researched.:dontknow:

Ok, I agree with that too, I know also that the engine in my Dakota R/T was shifted over to the pass sides out 2", I had a shaker hood on it and the scoop was offse from the engine so it would line up in the center of the hood.

They are heavier on one side when your in it with a full tank of gas. Put it on a set of REAL scales.

If something is heavier on one side .... Oh hell you guys know what in getting at.

Sent from my iPhone 6 while driving 100 mph on a dirt road

They are heavier on one side when your in it with a full tank of gas. Put it on a set of REAL scales.

If something is heavier on one side .... Oh hell you guys know what in getting at.

Ok, that makes sense to a point, so if you had an empty tank of fuel and no one in it, why does it still sit high on pass side then?? Should sit level then??
From what I've read and seen if you drive behind some one and they hook as they get on it the drivers side slightly lifts from the torque and the drive line is in correct alignment then.

Ok, that makes sense to a point, so if you had an empty tank of fuel and no one in it, why does it still sit high on pass side then?? Should sit level then??
From what I've read and seen if you drive behind some one and they hook as they get on it the drivers side slightly lifts from the torque and the drive line is in correct alignment then.

Uhmmmm...driver side springs a bit worn/sacked out from carrying over weight Americans back n forth from Dairy Queen to all you can eat buffets. :rofl:

I've met a few of you guys. Seriously, put down the fork and step away from the buffet table!!! lol

Uhmmmm...driver side springs a bit worn/sacked out from carrying over weight Americans back n forth from Dairy Queen to all you can eat buffets. :rofl:

I've met a few of you guys. Seriously, put down the fork and step away from the buffet table!!! lol

I just had to explain why i was just laughing so hard for no reason to the guy i work with. Not as funny to him tho.

LMFAO!! That's hilarious!!!:D

There's no way springs are sagged out with 5k miles on them and 1.5 yrs old when I got it!! The previous owner never towed with it.
But I bet if you were to get a part # for the rear springs the drivers side and pass side are different ???:dontknow:

Last edited:
my front passenger side is 1/2 inch lower than the driver side with the Xtreme lowering kit from Tony.
i have 45 serie tyres , and when i go in a decent dent at 60-70 , its always the passenger side tyre that hits the inner fender...
i asked Tony , he said thats common by most lowered cars/trucks...
so it hits on the opposit side from gastank etc...

my front passenger side is 1/2 inch lower than the driver side with the Xtreme lowering kit from Tony.
i have 45 serie tyres , and when i go in a decent dent at 60-70 , its always the passenger side tyre that hits the inner fender...
i asked Tony , he said thats common by most lowered cars/trucks...
so it hits on the opposit side from gastank etc...

Well if tiny said its ok it must be he invented the viper truck so he should know.

Had the same problem, used a spring spacer on the front drivers side to level it out.

So if I scoot the engine back over to the middle it should level it back out, right?!!

I noticed the my passenger side rear is about 1/2 inch lower after I dropped mine too. I had this on my last truck as well after dropping it.:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back