Our Boat has Gone Under

IH8CHVYS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow what a call to get Monday Morning, Our Marina calls and says our boat sank this weekend.
2005 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer

Well my wife and i went over and checked it out and what a mess, from what i understand 90% of the boat was under water. The entire engine compartment and 90% of the cabin was filled. As of now they are doing a pickling process to possibly determine how it sunk, we have called our insurance company and i guess they are sending an adjuster out.
The reason i am posting this is i am nervous as hell that they won't total the boat! I can only imagine what the water damage has done to the engine,all electrical components, obviously the carpets , beds etc. I hate to end up with an $70,000 lemon:confused:

I'll try and get some pics up after a bit but if anyone has some input i will surely listen. Thanks

Sorry to here that---that sucks ---hope the insurance claim works out for you

I hope they dont figure out how you sunk her;)
Seriously sorry for your loss, hope it works out

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Hope you are treated right by your insurance co..

Condolences for your loss......... It's (luckily) only property.

Glad no one was aboard....

D

Ernie,

Good to hear from ya, wish it was under better circumstances. BUT on a good note. Most of your marine Insurance (from past exper.) If the Electric, motor, hull is damaged in a slight way they will fix it 110% or total the boat. This usually is because (on a boat like yours) If you have the boat full to max. capactity and it sinks catches fire or anything of that nature they are held liable by Fedral regualations. So they seem to work well with people on big boats.

Hope this is the case for you. good luck man.

GriffsSRT said:
Ernie,

Good to hear from ya, wish it was under better circumstances. BUT on a good note. Most of your marine Insurance (from past exper.) If the Electric, motor, hull is damaged in a slight way they will fix it 110% or total the boat. This usually is because (on a boat like yours) If you have the boat full to max. capactity and it sinks catches fire or anything of that nature they are held liable by Fedral regualations. So they seem to work well with people on big boats.

Hope this is the case for you. good luck man.

Hey Mark thanks for the encouraging info on the boat!
Congrats on the TOTM:rock:

I've seen some total restore jobs that worked well, after being swamped in salt water...but I would be very hesitant to buy one.

Fresh water on the other hand should be manageable. Get it totaled if possible, if not pick your restore facility very carefully...Pirateman can probably give you a great referral to a good shop...he has been in boat sales and repair for 30 years.

Roy

despite what the ensurance guy wil say: get the engine running TODAY or it's gone for good. remove the spark plugs, hook up a good battery and starter motor and flush out the water by firing the engine.
Feed some very oil rich fuel in each cilinder, put the dry plugs back on and start the engine till it rev's. Let it sweat till all the water is evaporate...
Slowly start reducing the oil % of the fuel till it's ok...

this is how we got my brother's SONIC back in good shape after it sunk.
Some smartass passed with his boat too fast too often. Started to catch water through the exhausts till the point of no return...:mad:

Ernie,

I am from Conyers. How in the world would the boat have sunk this weekend? It was perfect weather!!
As for the insurance, just stay on them. You need to stroke ( not financially, just coax him) the adjuster, who many times with boats and such is an outside appraiser. Explain your long term concerns and stay on them....they will total it if you are loud enough.

GA Venom said:
Ernie,

I am from Conyers. How in the world would the boat have sunk this weekend? It was perfect weather!!
As for the insurance, just stay on them. You need to stroke ( not financially, just coax him) the adjuster, who many times with boats and such is an outside appraiser. Explain your long term concerns and stay on them....they will total it if you are loud enough.

They have no idea nor do i on how it sunk! It sits at a marina now waiting for the insurance adjuster to look at it and i will be there when he looks at it!

Damn Ernie, I didn't think there was enough water in Lake Lanier to sink a boat! I sure hope the insurance co. treats you right. Stand your ground on the total, don't let those bastards push you around.

Bummer about the boat.Hope ya get her fixed.

Why boats sink, Part Two—inboard/outboards
Boat/US Magazine , Nov, 2007 by Chuck Fort
Email Print
In the November 2006 issue of BoatU.S. Magazine, Part One of "Why Boats Sink, Outboard Powered Boats" appeared. This is Part Two, focusing on why inboard/outboards sink.

Inboard/outboard (I/O)-powered boats and outboard boats are similar in design; some manufacturers sell the same boat with a choice of I/O or outboard power. However, research by Seaworthy on insurance claims revealed that the reasons for sinkings are vastly different.

While outboard-powered boats tend to sink at the dock due to cockpit arrangements that allow rain to accumulate faster than it can be drained by the scuppers, I/Os' weak link--44% of the time--is the rather delicate connection between the inboard engine and the outdrive known as the bellows.

And while outboards sank underway 32% of the time due to taking water over the gunwales or, most often, the transom, I/Os sank underway 36% of the time due to striking a submerged object.

The bellows or boots--pleated, flexible rubber membranes--run between the engine (the "I") and partially submerged outdrive (the "O") to seal the transom where cables and shafts pass through. They work well, but have one weakness: Bellows have a limited lifespan. Many boats have more than one bellows (driveshaft, shift cable, exhaust, etc.), any one of which has the potential to sink the boat. The study showed that bellows leaks account for 44% of sinkings at the dock and 20% of the sinkings underway. A bellows that is over five years old is living on borrowed time.

All bellows should be carefully inspected for cracks at least annually, more often in a hot, sunny climate. If one bellows shows signs of wear, all of them should be replaced.

And don't take any chances with bellows clamps; replace them whenever the bellows are replaced

Thirty-six percent of underway sinkings in the study were caused by boats hitting submerged objects such as a rock, a sandbar or a floating log. A woman in Florida hit an alligator with her 19-foot boat, which immediately started taking on water. Not wanting to sink near an angry alligator, she gunned the engine and made a mad dash toward shore. The boat sank a few feet from land, and the woman was able to walk to safety ashore.

Extra vigilance is required after heavy rains, when debris is most likely to wash into the water. On the flip side, lake drawdowns can expose such things as previously hidden stumps; reduce speed and check with the local water authority to find schedules. And slow down in unfamiliar areas; it's better to mangle a prop than tear off an outdrive.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

The Seaworthy study also found that 15% of dockside sinkings were caused by water back-flowing through the scuppers into the boat. Rain will add a lot of weight quickly if the scuppers are clogged, and it is especially important with low-profile boats to use a garden hose to keep them clear and free-flowing. If you opt to wet-store your boat over the winter, plan on visiting frequently to make sure snow and ice aren't collecting in the cockpit. An alternative is to fit the boat with a snug cover that directs water and snow overboard. Finally, a high-water alarm is also useful, but make sure the battery stays fully charged so it can be heard.

One cause of sinking that isn't unique to I/Os are leaks from below-waterline fittings. Only bronze and Marelon fittings meet the American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) standards. A few sinking claims were caused by overheated engines melting rubber exhaust pipes. Anytime the engine overheats, exhaust hoses and clamps should be carefully checked.

Poor docking arrangements accounted for 11% of I/O sinkings. In some cases, a boat's outdrive snagged on the dock at low tide and then caused the boat to fill through the scuppers as the tide came in. These types of sinkings can be prevented by making sure lines to the boat are tight enough to keep the boat safely away from the dock, but also loose enough to allow for tides. Spring lines can help; so can flexible fiberglass mooring whips. Note that when all else fails, it may be easier to simply move the boat to a larger slip.

A few sinkings also occurred because someone forgot to insert the drain plug when the boat was launched. When that someone is likely to be you, a simple way to jog your memory is to tie the plug to your ignition key.

Because their transoms don't require cutouts, boats with I/Os aren't as vulnerable to taking water over the transom or gunwales as their outboard-powered counterparts (32% for outboards). But, I/Os aren't immune to swamping--12% sank from taking water over the transom or gunwales.

Great Fall Reading--Seaworthy, the 274-page book by editor Robert Adriance, Jr., collects the best true stories from 20 years of BoatU.S. insurance claims files. To order a copy, go to Amazon.com. Subscriptions to the quarterly magazine Seaworthy are $10 per year. For more information, go to BoatUS.com/Seaworthy or call 703-823-9550, ext. 3276.

Last edited:
Is there any such thing as GAP insurance on boats? :dontknow: :confused: It would be a real shame if the do, in fact, "total" the vessel... but only give you MARKET price for it. :(

99% of the time a mercruiser sinks its because of the bellows. We probally repair 25 to 30 a year for the same thing. If you need anything give me a call

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back