Overheating

depending on your weather (location), Run 75% distilled and 25% antifreeze.

Water is what keeps the temps down and dissipates the heat, not the coolant.

Some run 99% distilled and 1% water-wetter.

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
depending on your weather (location), Run 75% distilled and 25% antifreeze.

Water is what keeps the temps down and dissipates the heat, not the coolant.

Some run 99% distilled and 1% water-wetter.

-Red

Since i have the slightest idea what i currently have in my coolant system
i think i'm just gonna put 1/4 of that "special coolant" and the rest with
water :)
icon_wink.gif

Sharpi

I had to top off mine when I first got it. Someone left the radiator cap loose. I took an empty milk jug and filled it half with water and topped if off with the Chrysler anti freeze. 50/50 mix. Then topped off the radiator. Then filled the reservoir to between Min and Max just in case it needed to bleed anymore coolant into the overflow when it warms up. I'm sure Dragon has the stuff but not sure if he can ship it. Might be one of those regulated things that can't be sent through the mail.:dontknow:

SilvrSRT10 said:
I had to top off mine when I first got it. Someone left the radiator cap loose. I took an empty milk jug and filled it half with water and topped if off with the Chrysler anti freeze. 50/50 mix. Then topped off the radiator. Then filled the reservoir to between Min and Max just in case it needed to bleed anymore coolant into the overflow when it warms up. I'm sure Dragon has the stuff but not sure if he can ship it. Might be one of those regulated things that can't be sent through the mail.:dontknow:

good point. However, i ordered Tranny fluid from jegs and it had some sort
of commodity sticker on it and the jug was in a plastic bag.. i PMed him..
see what he can do :D

Sharpi

Sharpimage said:
Hey, well as some of you know i just installed the Stage II PCM from MoparConnection.
Today while driving home i monitored the temp. of my engine because it was
fairly hot (87) outside..
Well, on the way home i'm watching the temp.. everything
looks good.. (just a FYI when i drive the temp is around 170-185 stopped it's 200)
soon as i get into my driveway i get out of my truck to open the garage door..
i get back in and the temp is over 230! so i parked it and popped the hood..
no leaks and i'm not short on fluid.. this is the first time it happened and i
don't need to pay for a problem i could have stopped.. any ideas as to why
'm overheating? should i be concerned?

Thanks,

Sharpi

Did you actually mean that 107 is fairly hot cause I know you didn't mean to say that 87 is fairly hot....maybe I've lived in Phoenix too long. At 87 I walked out the door that morning with 2 t-shirts on due to 'chill' in the air...:p Seriously though, truck runs hot enough out here that you can tell when the CPU is dialing back the HP to help get cooling under control. Last year I was having 'discussion' with an out of state person and until I went out an measured the temp of my steering wheel did he believe that it was just over 170F. A bit hot to the touch! Looks like you've got your problem narrowed down.

Chuck B said:
Did you actually mean that 107 is fairly hot cause I know you didn't mean to say that 87 is fairly hot....maybe I've lived in Phoenix too long. At 87 I walked out the door that morning with 2 t-shirts on due to 'chill' in the air...:p Seriously though, truck runs hot enough out here that you can tell when the CPU is dialing back the HP to help get cooling under control. Last year I was having 'discussion' with an out of state person and until I went out an measured the temp of my steering wheel did he believe that it was just over 170F. A bit hot to the touch! Looks like you've got your problem narrowed down.

crap dude To answer that short... Yes you have lived in Phoenix too long...:D
high's in the D.C. area are around 90's tops are 107 108... now you want
cold we getdown to the teens in the winter... :D i personally liek teh cold
weather :dontknow: :rock:

Sharpi

mauiSRT/10 said:
Is mixing brands really a bad thing with anti freeze? Cause I did put some non DC brand in there with some Distilled water when I changed my t stat. Runs fine.

patrick
Mixing brands is not a problem as long as it is the same type of antifreeze. From what I've read, you don't want to mix green with the orange stuff in our trucks. Causes some kind of chemical reaction that may be caustic to our cooling system.

SilvrSRT10 said:
Mixing brands is not a problem as long as it is the same type of antifreeze. From what I've read, you don't want to mix green with the orange stuff in our trucks. Causes some kind of chemical reaction that may be caustic to our cooling system.

Ah shit thats what I did!!!! I have never heard that. Napa didnt have any of the orange stuff. The stuff has been in there for a couple of months now.

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
Ah shit thats what I did!!!! I have never heard that. Napa didnt have any of the orange stuff. The stuff has been in there for a couple of months now.

patrick
Don't panic! I don't know that for sure. It's just what I've read here. I wouldn't think a couple months is enough time for anything drastic to happen. Here, I just found this. It's corrosive. So you'll want to see to it.
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/coolingsystem/l/aa052601c.htm

Here is some other info.

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/engineer/pdf/05-2.pdf

Here is an excerpt.

Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) is a combination of IAT and OAT with
nitrites added. This makes HOAT suitable for use in both light duty and heavy
duty systems. Currently, two manufacturers are using HOAT for their vehicles.
Daimler/Chrysler's version is dyed orange and contains 10% recycled antifreeze.
Ford Motor Company’s version is dyed yellow and does not contain any recycled
antifreeze. Both of these HOAT antifreezes use the marketing designator of GO-
5. They are compatible with each other but mixing them with IAT or OAT is not
recommended. The normal HOAT antifreeze service life is 5 years or 150,000
miles (250,000 km).​

Last edited:
Marc T said:
Sharpi,

Have you topped off your truck and run it yet?? I am curious if it made a difference!!

let us know!!

Not yet brotha ;) tommorow the stealership is going to be open and i can
pick up some of that "good" coolant so i can mix 50/50... Quick question
though.. should i fill the radiator when the engine is hot as opposed to cold?
i know the scalding etc etc... but last night when i was messing with it
i unscrewed the cap when the stuff was about 220 and it really wasn't
all that hot coming out:dontknow: also the fluid difference was amazing..
when the truck is warm the fluid is about half way down in the radiatior
as opposed to cold when the fluid is a 1/8 from the top of the radiator..
i figure i do it when it's hot and just let the rest overflow into that resivior..

Sharpi

Last edited:
The way I've done it is add the mix to it as the engine is warming up. So that there is no pressure in the system but things are getting warm enough for the T-Stat to open. As air bleeds out of the system, it will bubble out the opening. Just continue to add fluid until it pretty much stops bubbling. Then put the cap back on tight. Don't forget to open the bleeder screw on top of the T-Stat housing (#1) to get the air out of there. You can also turn the heat on in the truck in case your worried about any air trapped in the system. That should pretty much get you where you need to be.

Last edited:
FIXED!! :rock::rock::rock: :D alright here's what i did.. I went and bought a
gallon of distilled water from my local grocery store then went and bought
some 5 year/150,000 Mile coolant(orange in color) from the local Dodge dealership.
Got home. pulled the truck out of the garage then opened the radiator cap.
Got a funnel and started to pour the distilled water down the funnel.
After i had about 1/2 gallon of distilled water i opened and poured out the
coolant in the funnel. about 1/2 gallon.. i noticed about half way
through that the fan had turned off.. anyways, i topped of the radiator
by using the method above.. took the rest and filled the resivour which happend
to be completely empty? :dontknow: when i parked it last night it was half full...
Anyways, i actually managed to get the fluid above the max level by about
one inch..... is that a problem? :dontknow: i wouldn't think so.. but i'm
not tryin to have any over fill spill out :D

Sharpi

Oh that and the temp now runs a max of 185 :rock::rock::rock::rock: :D

Sharpi

Sharpimage said:
took the rest and filled the resivour which happend
to be completely empty? :dontknow: when i parked it last night it was half full...
Anyways, i actually managed to get the fluid above the max level by about
one inch..... is that a problem? :dontknow: i wouldn't think so.. but i'm
not tryin to have any over fill spill out :D

Sharpi
As the coolant system cools it contracts causing a vacuum which drawls the coolant from the reservoir into the system. When it heats up, it pushes some of the coolant back out into the reservoir. So if your reservoir is already full and your system heats up and start pushing excess coolant into the reservoir. There is a potential for overflow. This is why I suggested only filling the reservoir half way until you've cycled the engine (heat, cool, heat, cool) a few times to see where the level falls. Then adjust from there. No biggie. Glad you've got the overheating problem solved.

SilvrSRT10 said:
As the coolant system cools it contracts causing a vacuum which drawls the coolant from the reservoir into the system. When it heats up, it pushes some of the coolant back out into the reservoir. So if your reservoir is already full and your system heats up and start pushing excess coolant into the reservoir. There is a potential for overflow. This is why I suggested only filling the reservoir half way until you've cycled the engine (heat, cool, heat, cool) a few times to see where the level falls. Then adjust from there. No biggie. Glad you've got the overheating problem solved.

same here... would it be bad if i used the same pump i used to pump the
tranny fluid into the tranny to pump the fluid out of the reservoir? is there
a bleed screw in the bottom? :dontknow: :D

Sharpi

Sharpimage said:
same here... would it be bad if i used the same pump i used to pump the
tranny fluid into the tranny to pump the fluid out of the reservoir? is there
a bleed screw in the bottom? :dontknow: :D

Sharpi
You could use something like a turkey baster type plunger to remove the excess or just siphon it out with a length of hose (careful, don't ingest any coolant). I don't think there is a valve in the bottom of the reservoir.The tranny pump should be OK.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back