Owned My Truck for a Year

CRexSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today marks one year of owning my truck, and I couldn't be any happier with it! It just so happens that as it is sitting in the garage it has exactly 86,000 miles on the odometer, which means that in my year of ownership I have put about 9,000 miles on it. Seeing this mileage got me to thinking about what maintenance should be done to my truck. I have ready many threads about maintenance, but I'm curious if anything in particular should be done to my truck. In the years time maintenance wise I have replaced the p/s line, and replaced the oil cooler lines with braided lines. I change the oil regularly every 3k miles with Mobil 1 10w 30 Extended Performance. I have a new serpentine belt which I am getting ready to replace, as well as new plugs and wires; but other than that what else should be done? Tranny fluid change? Coolant change? If so, with what?:dontknow:

tranny, coolant, brake, clutch & rearend juice change is a great idea

congrats on the first of many years of ownin one of these beautiful beasts:rock::rock::rock:

If you haven't done the diff, tranny, and coolant I would do those for sure. I did mine right when I got my truck at 31k.

Any particular tranny fluid? I read how guys like the royal purple but say it makes some noise so I'm looking to stay away from something like that. Should I get the diff and coolant from the local dodge dealer?

tranny, coolant, brake, clutch & rearend juice change is a great idea

congrats on the first of many years of ownin one of these beautiful beasts:rock::rock::rock:

Any suggestions for clutch fluid? And thanks :rock: I plan on keeping it for a very long time, as this coming fall I'm going to slow down on driving it considerably which should help preserve it.

I used Mobil 1 for the diff.
You can find it at just about any parts store. I used 75-140 for a little more protection.

Coolant can be picked up at the parts store also. My 06 takes a particular type which is G05. Not sure if the 04/05's take it also but I would find out first to make sure.

Clutch hydraulic fluid is just regular brake fluid. I believe DOT 3 or 4 will work no problem but my cap says 3 so that's what I have used.

Depending on how hard you drive it, DOT 3 or 4 in the brake and clutch. If you are hard on it go with the DOT 4 as it has a higher boiling point.

I've lost track already of what I have done as I have had mine for 1 year as of Jun 21st. Good luck man and as for trans fluid I used RedLine D4 ATF.

I used Mobil 1 for the diff.
You can find it at just about any parts store. I used 75-140 for a little more protection.

Coolant can be picked up at the parts store also. My 06 takes a particular type which is G05. Not sure if the 04/05's take it also but I would find out first to make sure.

Clutch hydraulic fluid is just regular brake fluid. I believe DOT 3 or 4 will work no problem but my cap says 3 so that's what I have used.

Appreciate your help man!

Depending on how hard you drive it, DOT 3 or 4 in the brake and clutch. If you are hard on it go with the DOT 4 as it has a higher boiling point.

Yeah I'll be going with the Dot 3, I don't beat the piss out of my truck although I like watching videos of people that do :D

I've lost track already of what I have done as I have had mine for 1 year as of Jun 21st. Good luck man and as for trans fluid I used RedLine D4 ATF.

Thanks for the info, and congrats on breaking a year of ownership as well. These trucks are just so damn fun to drive, who wouldn't want one!

I use Mobil 1 EP in all my vehicles too and I can tell you man you are seriously over changing it if you do it every 3k. It's rated for 15k and i will vouch for that rating. oil has a short break in period before it reaches full lubricity so your actually hurting both your engine and wallet by changing it that often. Either switch to regular Mobil 1 or go longer between changes IMHO. I'm not saying you need to go the full 15k but more than 3 for sure.

I use Mobil 1 EP in all my vehicles too and I can tell you man you are seriously over changing it if you do it every 3k. It's rated for 15k and i will vouch for that rating. oil has a short break in period before it reaches full lubricity so your actually hurting both your engine and wallet by changing it that often. Either switch to regular Mobil 1 or go longer between changes IMHO. I'm not saying you need to go the full 15k but more than 3 for sure.

I hear what you're saying, I just normally do it at three because these trucks burn oil and I don't want it to go long enough that it burns enough oil to start causing harm to the motor. If I went longer, I would feel obligated to dumping a quart of oil in which would then negate the whole breaking in theory.

Another 1 yr truck here. Picked mine up June 18th 2012. Didnt trust anyone so I changed out ALL fluids. Oil, Trans., Rear Diff. Coolant, Clutch. Joined on here and got some great help from the VTCOA members. Made my decision to buy easy !

Another 1 yr truck here. Picked mine up June 18th 2012. Didnt trust anyone so I changed out ALL fluids. Oil, Trans., Rear Diff. Coolant, Clutch. Joined on here and got some great help from the VTCOA members. Made my decision to buy easy !

smart man. You were on your "A" game for sure.

Nah just figured this way I know whats been done, and done right. I would do this on any used vehicle I own. Peace of mind man.
Also, I think synthetics are the way to go.

your maintenance manual should show you at what mileage you need to do certain maintenance. It will also show you what fluids you should use. If you have a warranty of any kind you need to have a record of this warranty work if you want them to cover your repairs. They are always looking for a way to get your $, but not have to pay for your repairs. If you don't have a record that's their excuse not to pay. My extended warranty has saved me huge $$$$.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back