P0720 Code Output Shaft Speed Sensor Location

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out the output shaft sensor is in the rear tail driver side area of the transmission. I guess it's the over drive area.

I took a picture and it may well be the smaller problem right now because it is covered in trans fluid. The pan also has fluid on it. There is still another problem but hopefully this part can hold the trans over for a few weeks.

The right side of picture is toward the ground

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    433.1 KB · Views: 13,446
looks like the sensor is on the bottom of the tail shaft housin.

if its an external leak, might be just the sensor o'ring, if thats the style it is.

if its wet on the inside, pull the plug, then the windins are soaked & could be givin the puter screwy readins for sure.

temp plays a part also

book says 300 to 1200 ohms for the sensor. no temp range spec though

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm just going to replace the speed sensor for $20. Do you know if fluid will
Come out when I remove the sensor?

Thanks....That sucks. Means I need to act fast in switching out the sensor. I'll need to buy fluid just in case.

Yep Yep hope your good with one hand. Seem like your going to have to plug the hole with the other hand and swap the sensor with the other lol.

Fluid will come out when you unscrew the sensor. I replaced mine a while back. If you have the new sensor and some paper towel, you can do the swap without much mess. I did mine so quickly that it didn't need any replacement fluid. Only a tiny bit came out.

It will however continue to pour out if you don't put the new sensor back in the hole rather quickly.

Well that was the problem. Replaced sensor in about 10 minutes with very little fluid leaked. It took longer to find the part. Which, by the way, is a transmission speed sensor for 14 bolt pan if anyone needs it in the future.
My transmission shifts fine again. This will hold me over until my transmission get strengthened in a few weeks.

Well that was the problem. Replaced sensor in about 10 minutes with very little fluid leaked. It took longer to find the part. Which, by the way, is a transmission speed sensor for 14 bolt pan if anyone needs it in the future.
My transmission shifts fine again. This will hold me over until my transmission get strengthened in a few weeks.

So, that means that ur ready to come down and play again?:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back