Paint advice

Need for Speed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to paint my door and tailgate badging black. Can anyone recommend a good paint that will stick to that plastic?
Thanks in advance...

Krylon makes a spray paint called "FUSION" and its specifically for plastics. (WALMART). scuff the lettering first though.

ive done this with mine.
first clean the badges then sand with 320
spray 2-3 coats of duplicolor adhesion promoter, then 2-3 coats of paint, then clear.
let dry for good while then lighty sand the clear with 2000grit sand paper
polish with a rubbing compound

SANCHOBA said:
Krylon makes a spray paint called "FUSION" and its specifically for plastics. (WALMART). scuff the lettering first though.
Any idea what grit? I don't want to leave it visually scuffed...
And thanks for the advice!

Silverbullet08 said:
ive done this with mine.
first clean the badges then sand with 320
spray 2-3 coats of duplicolor adhesion promoter, then 2-3 coats of paint, then clear.
let dry for good while then lighty sand the clear with 2000grit sand paper
polish with a rubbing compound
There we go! Got any pics of the finished product?

yes i have some. the pics are just comparing the painted to the chrome ones. been really lazy and havent made the swap yet lol
P1011009-1.jpg

P1011010-1.jpg

P1011010.jpg

When u taking your badges off?

I think im gonna try to do some this weekend myself, take them off that is.

Tweak said:
When u taking your badges off?

I think im gonna try to do some this weekend myself, take them off that is.
When I get the new ones in. You are totally de-badging? Easy process with fish line and goo gone...in case you didn't know.

Need for Speed said:
When I get the new ones in. You are totally de-badging? Easy process with fish line and goo gone...in case you didn't know.

I believe so, One of the previous owners got a couple of the hood plaqes and put them on the doors crooked, Then I think im gonna dump the word Ram on the doors.

use this stuff called SEM "trim black"

it's in a spray bottle...i did my grill about a year and a half ago, and it looks just as good...and if you get a chip, you can use a damn sharpie!....

sem-trim-paint-aerosol.gif

used 0000 steel wool on the chrome bars...then shot it...

Hey SilverBullet... did you paint your door handles using this method as well? If so, did you paint them while they were on the truck, or did you remove them first? It all looks really nice.

same way and i took them off. rear handles are a pita but it was worth it.
i see your in allen, im in arlington and could help you out if you wanted to do it.
P1010981-1.jpg

P1010983-1.jpg

P1010988-1.jpg

For the guys painting the mirrors and handles, are you sanding the surface smooth, or painting on top of the texture?

Sanding the surface before the coat, it may better with spray paint in a air conditioned room.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back