Paint & Body in Houston area...

Also remember if you replace the whole door, you will be losing the vin # id tag, which to be "back to original" is not something you can replace, at least not very easily.
skin the door, replace the badge and remount the cladding.

Chances of saving the vin tag and looking correct are slim. Once you skin the door, and seam seal, sand and prep for painting/jamming out which means paint over or around vin tag. You can tape it up but you will always be able to tell it has been painted.

Chances of saving the vin tag and looking correct are slim. Once you skin the door, and seam seal, sand and prep for painting/jamming out which means paint over or around vin tag. You can tape it up but you will always be able to tell it has been painted.

We have done door skins and have had minimal paint work to do on the jamb side and nothing affected the vin decal. :D

We have done door skins and have had minimal paint work to do on the jamb side and nothing affected the vin decal. :D

This is why I said slim. The shop I work for has also done it. But 90% percent of the body shops out there suck. I haven't been around the longest time but I have seen lots of other shops work that is far from great in my opinion. My shop is by far not best out there either. Not saying anything bad about your shop at all.

What I do personally to preserve tag is carefully outline with 1/8" fine line vinyl tape, then mask. I shoot my sealer, base then unmask. I clear the tag after a light dusting of bulldog. The clear is the thickest and what causes the edge you feel when unmasking tags after job is finished. Another trick is to unmask while clear is fresh and edges will lay down instead of being visually and rough feeling.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back