Paint or Powdercoat

Harasin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I wanted to ask you guys the best way to go about getting my rims black. Is powdercoat the best option? Is Paint as durable? or is it crap? I really wanted to do a matte black, but powdercoating can only come in semigloss or gloss, according to my local powdercoater. If powdercoating is the best option, what kind of prepping should I do? I know... ALOT of questions. I just want to do it right. Thanks
-Eric

powder coating is more durable than paint but paint is cheaper... if you take your time with the prep work for paint then it should be good and last a while. also you can get powder coating in flat black

Personally I think I am painting my wheels, because that's what I do for a living and get a helluva deal. Powdercoating is much stronger and chip resistant and dollar for dollar you'd spend the same unless you are spray cannig the shnit like some have done. It's all in the prep!

VENOMOUS1 said:
Personally I think I am painting my wheels, because that's what I do for a living and get a helluva deal. Powdercoating is much stronger and chip resistant and dollar for dollar you'd spend the same unless you are spray cannig the shnit like some have done. It's all in the prep!

+1, if you have the money powdercoat those biatches, if you're poor like me, just take your time with prep, sand, self-etching primer, and black engine enamel work great.

l_9598adad76854c858d61c39a5afd3a3a.jpg
or this http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f76/minibangbus/l_a06e88628c124beca79cb4a34c7190c3.jpg

What is the prepping process for the powdercoating? Sand the whole surface of the wheel? What grit number? Thanks :)

Harasin said:
What is the prepping process for the powdercoating? Sand the whole surface of the wheel? What grit number? Thanks :)

I recomend a GOOD sand blaster that has done ALUMINUM WHEELS before.

If your sanding them by hand -NOT FUN.

Going to take you AWHILE

First you have to get the clear coat off. I would start with a rough 80-120.

Then go to a 360-400.

Your done if powdercoating them.

If your painting them then go a step further to 800-1000.

You will need a good etching primer. PPG and DuPont both make good metal etching primers. Don SKIMP on the cost of the product here. Doesnt take a lot.

You can primer seal after that.

Color-2 light coats about 10 min between. Then a lil heavier coat last.

Use a GOOD CLEAR. The more the money you spend here usually gets you a longer lasting UV protecting clear. ALso the cheaper clears take more material(layers) as a more expensive clear uses less(material).

Start with 2 light coats again. 10-15 min between. Then 2 heavier coats.

If you want you can wet sant imperfections out. Then do a heavy float coat of clear again.

Up to you if you need to wet sand, buff and polish.

HAVE FUN>

SHU

powdercaoting is the only way to go for wheels man paint will chip and crack over time

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back