Painted OEM headlights

ninj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First i want to say thank you rare03srt10 for all the useful info. This DIY was very easy and only took me a 2 evenings to finish. Im real happy how it turned out, just need my black wheels.
0318121544-01.jpg

0319122103-00.jpg

0319122231-00.jpg

0320121644-00.jpg

0320121746-00.jpg

0320121744-00.jpg

Looks like a fun project. Sure is a lot of bang for the buck and a huge improvement. Keep us posted on how well the moisture stays out of the lens.

I dont think i will have a moisture problem there was alot of sealant on the lense and housing and i added a little black silcone on areas that needed but ill keep and eye on it.

Good job brutha! My trucks been outside for a week with the lights on the truck and it even rained a couple days and i dont see no moisture in my lights either. Like you said there is plenty of silicone on them already lol

Looks awesome, not to mention you saved yourself a ton of cash.

I plasti-dipped my wheels and grill to see how I liked the black highlights with my red QC. Next is the wing and badges. How are the badges attached? Are they just adhesive or is there some sort of hardware underneath?

I'm doing everything plasti-dip for now to get see how I like it after awhile, and hopefully I'll make it a permanent change.

What is the plasti-dip you refer to? I have a few things I woiuld like to try with that. Also you guys reused the silicon that was on the light instead of using all new?

What is the plasti-dip you refer to? I have a few things I woiuld like to try with that. Also you guys reused the silicon that was on the light instead of using all new?

It's a rubberish coating that you get in a spray can. You can apply to just about anything and it's super easy to clean off the overspray (just rubs off), and for the most part you can pull off the entire layer in one "sheet". It comes in different colors, but only online (dipyourcar.com). Around here Home Depot sells it in black for about $6 a can, and ACE sells it for almost $8.

I'll post up some pics when I get home :rock:

I reused the silicone there was alot on the headlight and anywhere that it was a little light i had a little extra black silicone to ensure a good seal. I have used the plasti dip on my emblems and grill as a test just to see how it holds up, so far i have noticed it is very easy to clean and is actually quite durable. I have had it on for about a month now and havent had any problems. Im not to sure if i would do my wheels that way, probably just stick with powdercoating them or finding the nightrunner black wheels.

Here is a few pics with the plasti dip
srt2.jpg
srt1.jpg
srt.jpg

Looks awesome! The blacked out grill looks so much better IMHO, I love mine! How did you do your emblems? Mainly just wondering how they are attatched and the best way to go about getting them done.

Well you could take the emblems off to eleminate overspray or you can leave them on and tape off the area, if you do get a little overspray it comes off real easy but if you do do them on the truck when you peel off the over spray around the emblems do it slow the plasti dip will seep in back behind the emblems and create almost a natural perferation so it tears off the truck but not the emblem. I left the emblems on and taped off a square around the emblem and just peeled it off the truck wasnt to hard just need to peel it up slowly

thanks for all the feedback guys, if there are any questions feel free to ask me anytime.

Blackout1.jpg
Bad pic, it was a rainy day but you get the idea. The badges will be done this weekend.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back