Painted plastic bits

texastonka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painted cowl and handles?

I have a black SR10 and woudl liek to paint teh cowl, handles, and mirrors to match teh black paint finish. My body may says we can't smooth out teh rough texture plastic, it will be gloss black but have the texture in it from the plastic.

Has anyone been able to smooth these parts? Or if you painted it did teh textured plastic not make that much of an issue?

Rear tailgate handle and antenna is getting smoothed now so those are no longer an issue.

Would rather not go to Cal Vu mirrors, seem to small to me too much blind spot?

Wasn't there a vendor on here that offered color matched handles before? Thought it was JMB but could not find it on his site.

Thanks for the input.

Jmb offers the handles on the site. I've seen a few of the wiper cowls smoothed too. You may be able find one aftermarket smooth to save the labor.

Contact Justin at JMB,Im sure he can help you out and that textured plastic can be smoothed out and painted,Justin can fill you in,he is awesome to deal with and does amazing work!! You wont be disappointed!!

i have so far sanded the handles smooth and painted them with no issues.

sorry dont have any really good close up pictures but i did the mirrors also you can see pretty well on this one i think.

2011-05-22_19-42-56_65.jpg

Wow mirrors look great!! Did you paint them yourself? ive been wanting to do my door handles, mirrors and wiper cowl also...

yeah painted mirrors and handles myself just dont have a good close shot of the handles. sanded them first with 80grit to knock off as much of the wrinkle to the plastic as i could then 3 coats black 3-4 coats clear coat.

this is about the best i have of how the handles look this is the tailgate handle.

2011-05-11_17-29-31_195.jpg

yeah one of these days when i get a chance plus i tried prying at them a bit but they didnt want to budge and i was worried of breaking one lol. but all things with time. have almost everything blacked out on the truck now :)

That looks clean man. I'd love to do this I'm just too worried about paint matching the nightrunner metal flake.

your body man is an idiot... tell him to sand them and use a high build flexible primer, several coats and it'll be smooth as glass... paint, clear, done...

find a new body man...

your body man is an idiot... tell him to sand them and use a high build flexible primer, several coats and it'll be smooth as glass... paint, clear, done...

find a new body man...

I've done lots of them too the same way, Justin-JMB does beautiful work on them too.

If my body man says they can't be done then I think it is time to get a new body man. I'll shoot Justin an email. Great pics and thanks for the quick info.

Now if my upper radiator hose will ever get here for
Samco... Been waiting on that hose for 6 weeks!

If my body man says they can't be done then I think it is time to get a new body man. I'll shoot Justin an email. Great pics and thanks for the quick info.

Now if my upper radiator hose will ever get here for
Samco... Been waiting on that hose for 6 weeks!

Why didn't you get it rad hoses from Justin? Lol .I and hundreds of others got them from Justin, quick delivery and look killer!!!

Was unsure on the hard pipe thing. I was just looking for a stock replacement really, but found the silicon hoses at SamcoSport, they made my hoses for all my Vipers too.

What I'm really looking for is a good motor mount and trans mount like the Woodhouse mounts for the Viper.

Dan is correct, doesnt take much at all to smooth them out.

Was unsure on the hard pipe thing. I was just looking for a stock replacement really, but found the silicon hoses at SamcoSport, they made my hoses for all my Vipers too.

What I'm really looking for is a good motor mount and trans mount like the Woodhouse mounts for the Viper.

Colour matched silicone hoses would look sweet too!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back