PAXTON INSTALL

finisher68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GETTING PAXTON S/C INSTALLED IN NEXT FEW WEEKS, MY 05 Q/C HAS 51K MILES ON IT, WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS RECOMEND I DO TO THE ENGIN, AS FAR AS UP GRADE,,I WANT TO DO IT RIGHT,,,I KNOW ITS ALL ABOUT$$$$$$$$$, JUST SOME IDEAS, THEN I CAN SEE WHAT I CAN SPEND,

Forge the bottom end and have a large reserve of $$ to cover all the things you will need to do after installing the SC to make it work right...

depending on how far you want to go, but mainly rods, pistons, good bearings, main bearings, and depending on nos or not rings.
but yeah int he 10k area for a good bottom end.

every now and again you can find a set of forged pistons on ebay for sale very cheap....please get all the info for the seller before buying ( i.e compression, are they for a stroker, ect..)

finisher68 said:
WHAT IS INVOVLED IN FORGING THE BOTTOM END?
Pistons, rods and rings. Stinker has a very good price. Or you can just go pistons but for 800 more you can do rods. It all depends on what you want and if your gonna go bigger in the future. The plus to doing pistons and rods is youre at 50k which is not bad, but your refreshing the motor and that is always a good thing.

DevilDawg3097 said:
Pistons, rods and rings. Stinker has a very good price. Or you can just go pistons but for 800 more you can do rods. It all depends on what you want and if your gonna go bigger in the future. The plus to doing pistons and rods is youre at 50k which is not bad, but your refreshing the motor and that is always a good thing.
dawg you got a pm bud

Stinker said:
dawg you got a pm bud
YUP:D :marchmellow: :smokin: :canabis: :turtle: and then off to bed:D Have a safe trip brother and give eddies kid a kiss and hug and tell him OOHRAH MARINE:rock:

DevilDawg3097 said:
YUP:D :marchmellow: :smokin: :canabis: :turtle: and then off to bed:D Have a safe trip brother and give eddies kid a kiss and hug and tell him OOHRAH MARINE:rock:
will do sir:rock:

finisher most builders are gonnna be around the same price, or at least close.

but if you want a bullet proof bottom end, there are a few things to know.

one, what compression you want to run, are you gonna use NOS?

but rods, k1 makes a good rod good for 1200hp, around $800
oliver makes killer rods, good for 1500hp+ $1800

pistons, all in the buyers choice, i reccomend wiseco or je

billet mains, if you want a strong bottom end go with mains, they are more 4 but the oem mains tend to walk, and can cause problems
mains in the area of $750-$800, and machine work about the same.

and go with a good hardened set of rod and main bearins, preferably coated.

now on to the paxton,

with the paxton i think you will get best results without doing any headwork, maybe valves, springs pushrods, but leave the chambers alone.

and run oem manifolds, if you want headers, run a hi flow cat.

now on the cam, a custom cam is your best choice, one with alot of overlap, that will help the truck build more boost.

then jsut get one of the venom edition lower pullies so no more paxton slip and havee a ballllll:D

Stinker said:
now on the cam, a custom cam is your best choice, one with alot of overlap, that will help the truck build more boost.

You know, I thought any amount of overlap with FI was bad. I was going to comment before I read up on current thinking on the subject.

A lot of overlap isn't necessarily good, though. The right amount of overlap will allow the intake manifold pressure to help purge the cylinders at the end of the exhaust cycle on an engine with a free-flowing exhaust system. You will probably not want a cam with much overlap if you keep the stock exhaust manifolds.

A custom cam is the best choice, but in all likelihood, it won't be one with lots of overlap.

Ram From Hell said:
You know, I thought any amount of overlap with FI was bad. I was going to comment before I read up on current thinking on the subject.

A lot of overlap isn't necessarily good, though. The right amount of overlap will allow the intake manifold pressure to help purge the cylinders at the end of the exhaust cycle on an engine with a free-flowing exhaust system. You will probably not want a cam with much overlap if you keep the stock exhaust manifolds.

A custom cam is the best choice, but in all likelihood, it won't be one with lots of overlap.
sorry i was being generic:eek: :p

finisher68 said:
GETTING PAXTON S/C INSTALLED IN NEXT FEW WEEKS, MY 05 Q/C HAS 51K MILES ON IT, WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS RECOMEND I DO TO THE ENGIN, AS FAR AS UP GRADE,,I WANT TO DO IT RIGHT,,,I KNOW ITS ALL ABOUT$$$$$$$$$, JUST SOME IDEAS, THEN I CAN SEE WHAT I CAN SPEND,

Emilio, I cannot emphasize this strongly enough. Your first order of business has to be in getting the truck dyno tuned. There is no better place to spend the money (without going inside the engine) than on a qualified tuner.;)

Ram From Hell said:
You're up late.

Trade the bourbon for coffee tonight?:D
LOLOL just a looooonnnnngg day, got up early, cut some wood, ran to charlotte to check out a truck and fixin to run down to savannah to see Eddies boy gradiate:D

TH PEOPLE I SPOKE WITH AWHILE BACK IS IN PLANO TX, KIETH CRAFT MOTORSPORTS,,I THINK THEY ARE ON THE PAXTON SITE AS INSTALERS,,AS FOR A GOOD TUNER, DO YOU KNOW OF ONE IN D.F.W., OR THESE GUYS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE TUNE,

Finisher...in addition to the great guidance above...I have to say that you need to build to a plan. What do you want to achieve...what is your end goal...without knowing what you want at the end of this build it will be difficult for you to make decisions about a lot of the advice above.

Do you want a balls to the wall race truck? Are you after a daily driver with a little extra quickness? Maybe you want something that can be driven on weekdays but raced on the weekends...do you intend to do the tuning yourself? Are you interested in building for huge horsepower in the future, but going pretty mild now?

Spending a little time determining what your end game is, will make your build much more efficient and your results will be much more satisfying.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE PROF. IM GOING TO TAKE THE ADVICE AND MAKE THE TUNE MOST IMPORTANT AT THIS TIME, STINKER SAYS ILL BE OK TO INSTALL THE PAXTON AS IT IS FOR NOW,BUT BE SURE TO GET THE TUNE RIGHT,LET THIS ECONOMY GET BETTER AND HIDE SOME MONEY FROM THE WIFE,AND AFTER THE SUMMER, GO ALL OUT,I DRIVE MY TRUCK ON WEEKENDS ONLY,,BUT I THINK MY GOAL IS A 11 SECOND TRUCK,,I KNOW YOU GUYS MAKE PROGRESS EVRY DAY ON THESE BUILDS,,GREAT HOBBY, AGAIN THANKS,

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back