Paxton SCT dyno

DESRT10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been gone for a while, but did manage to get the heads and Paxton installed in the last few months. Many thanks to Kenny Vaughn for making that happen. I got all the plumbing sorted for the intercooler set up. Finally got it to the dyno today. Torrie did a remote session working with Monty at JMS Chips (they invented/developed all the SCTs) here in Mississippi. Many thanks to both of you. Several pulls and had great 65 weather. Max boost made was 9psi and ntake temps help pretty steady in 115F area. Pretty sure elevation is close to sea level. Dyno is a Dynojet weight adjusted (not inertia dyno). Water/meth not on this run, but was added later with no real change in dyno.

Paxton and heads SCT tuning

I don't think the first dyno pic went through. Here is the second try. Dynojet, sea level, 65F, intake temps 115F, 93 octane, no water/meth, 9psi max. Awesome tuning by Torrie of Unleashed Tuning who did remote tune with Monty at JMS Chips (they started SCT). Thank you very much to both of you for tuning my 10.

Bryan

Attachments

• blk srt10 truck.JPG
    blk srt10 truck.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 841
Nice numbers! right between the 650-700 RWHP.
Perfect in my opinion. ;)
Hope that our truck will be in that area some day.

How much crank HP is 675 RWHP?

Nice numbers! right between the 650-700 RWHP.
Perfect in my opinion. ;)
Hope that our truck will be in that area some day.

How much crank HP is 675 RWHP?

should be around the 750 mark:rock::rock:

Happy to see an update on the build. Great job! With those numbers i bet its a blast to drive.

What is the sudden jump in HP and TQ at 4100 rpm. its associated with a spike in A/F ratio being richer. Usually more power is produced from being leaner. Is that a vortex in the flow of the head or intake at the rpm/flow?

From 3700-4400 rpm its comfortably rich at 10.8-11, then it leans out at 12:1 from 4400-5200 then gets fat again at the top end.

I dont know much about tuning, or the dynamics of these engines, im merely trying to open this up to discussion for educational purpose. It seems that with a little more time, possibly one on one with the tuner on a dyno, more power could be had from this maybe a little safer. However, this could be unfounded as torrie may have tuned this perfectly as he knows these engines better than anyone i know.

Happy to see an update on the build. Great job! With those numbers i bet its a blast to drive.

What is the sudden jump in HP and TQ at 4100 rpm. its associated with a spike in A/F ratio being richer. Usually more power is produced from being leaner. Is that a vortex in the flow of the head or intake at the rpm/flow?

From 3700-4400 rpm its comfortably rich at 10.8-11, then it leans out at 12:1 from 4400-5200 then gets fat again at the top end.

I dont know much about tuning, or the dynamics of these engines, im merely trying to open this up to discussion for educational purpose. It seems that with a little more time, possibly one on one with the tuner on a dyno, more power could be had from this maybe a little safer. However, this could be unfounded as torrie may have tuned this perfectly as he knows these engines better than anyone i know.

The A/F's you speak of ,are with a stock tune. factory tune is trying to have some fuel economy so it is lean under 4000 rpm. at this rpm the stock tune then richens the mix for performance and doesn't care about economy! they assume you are WOT and want performance ! after 5000 rpm it stays rich to control detonation . the HP and torque would be really spiked on a dyno gragh. Torrie would have broadened the curve by balancing the A/F properly and setting the proper timing advance curve to maximize torque.

Perect A/F is 12.5 at WOT.

I trust 12.5-12.8 for NA, but would be cheap and cautious in boosted applications and prefer to keep it richer 11-11.5, at the expense of loosing some power to protect parts. Especially when our application pushes 10+ psi. And even more with a roots style or twin screw like the roe. More pressure, more heat, more detonation. I dont know how big his intercooler is on that paxton, but 11.5-12 seems perfect for him making good power and remaining reliable.

Im sure if that application was tuned at 12.5 instead of his 10.8 it would make substantially more power. I just found it odd to see the spike in output when it richened up.

Great #'s:rock: How does it drive on the street?

I was only able to drive it home and then to work this am, so need some more time to better answer, but a few short notes. Caltracs and 325s are not enough. Looks like I will need to set aside a tire fund. Throttle response is much stronger. I could hear the difference in how fast the motor spins up, love that big time. It definately wants to rev more. You could hear that as each dyno pull and the tuning kept getting progressively better throughout the day. It seems like we did more than 15 dyno pulls throughout the day.

sick bro, torrie said it was a beast! its been a long deal for ya , congrats

Thanks. Tony, I would not have gotten this far without all the great help you have provided. Thank you for all the support, parts, and especially the patience with all my questions etc this past year or so. You are a big reason the SRT10 community is so strong.

I think you bring up good questions. We think that blip is the torque converter locking up at 70ish mph, and not really an artifact of tuning. There were many other runs and it was always there at that same spot in some form, not matter what timing and AFR's were.

My 10 dynod 414rwhp (don't remember torque) at the Panama City dyno day last may. Stock except for K&N intake at that time. With everything done to the truck and based on others I was expecting low 600s for hp, maybe 625 or so. My fear was with the ported heads and intake, that boost and subsequently, hp would suffer as had many earlier and similar combos on this forum. Torrie has my mod list and went from there. I am very happy how it all turned out.

I have stock crank pulley and the normal pulley that comes with stock Paxton, so thought my boost would be lower. For the first several runs, it maxed about 7.5psi. Fueling was sorted, timing was adjusted, and it rev'd faster and faster at the high rpms. 8+psi was seen and on one run a peak of 9psi was seen just about as the limiter cuts in. I am guessing it will peak 7-8psi on the street or track as shifts will come earlier than the peak rpm on the dyno. I have a thinner head gasket, to keep quench area thinner/smaller, but opened up the chamber adjacent to the exhaust valve to bring CR to 9.3, so that helps me feel a bit more comfortable with the higher than expected boost we ended up with.

The truck was completely tuned with without water/meth (whereas it could have been leaner and water/meth added to bring AF back). We wanted to stay more conservative and use the water meth for safety and not to change AF. It has a Snow kit with 220psi pump and relatively small #3 nozzle (225) with water/meth injected to add a safety buffer. Flow is adjustable and kicks in at low boost and increases as boost increases.

Last edited:
I dont know how big his intercooler is on that paxton, but 11.5-12 seems perfect for him making good power and remaining reliable. QUOTE]

I have a IC that I bought on this site, it is similar to a Frozen boost one. Core is a a little more than double the stock Paxton cooler. The used Paxton kit I bought from Ron at Cherry Perfomance (thanks Ron) had the large X metal heat exchanger and water pump already. Paxton checked the head unit as said it was 100% gtg. The intercooler sits over the intake, has about a 2 inch air gap and the bottom of it insultated with aluminized heat barrier. I will try and post some pics this weekend. Air temps stayed about 115F, even with back to back successive pulls. Air temp was around 65F, so that definately helped.

On the AFRs, I kept my nose out of that and trusted Torrie and Monty to sort that out. This was done over the course of a day with 15+ pulls to get things just right. You could see the HP keep creeping up and up with Torries changes. And it kept sounding better and better too.

Last edited:
Nice numbers buddy. Torries tune will keep you safe. But the tranny wont last long. Trust me.;)

Nice numbers buddy. Torries tune will keep you safe. But the tranny wont last long. Trust me.;)

Hmmm, you are probably right. Hey Tony, aren't you working on some new fangled manu-matic for our 10's.

Awesome ! Here is the actual uncorrected graph against VS.

AF section in the center was cleaned up after this run.

Attachments

• D-1.jpg
    D-1.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 208

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back