Picking the next president is almost a no-brainer.

ChrisAZ said:
The President alone cannot make or break the system, which is the beauty of it and the downfall of it. At least when we elect a bonehead, as we always do since those are the only viable choices, he or she can not single handedly bring down the nation.

This used to be the case. Unfortunately, it's changed a bit over the last three years tho. :eek:

Let's just say, it's getting easier, for one to single-handedly bring 'er down. The executive branch may have never had the kind of power it does currently. And unless it is fixed, that will only continue as we go forward, in my opinion. And that is not a good thing, for anyone on either side of any isle.

Last edited:
Good point DarkSyde. Bush has certainly proven that loopholes can be found and Presidents can get around the constitution.

I love this forum and I hope politics are never banned from discussion here. Very thought provoking group of people here at the VTCOA!

Darkest said:
This used to be the case. Unfortunately, it's changed a bit ovER the last three years tho. :eek:

Let's just say, it's getting easier, for one to single-handedly bring 'er down. The executive branch may have never had the kind of power it does currently. And unless it is fixed, that will only continue as we go forward, in my opinion. And that is not a good thing, for anyone on either side of any isle.

One stroke of the pen ( Presidential Order) and we could ( probably are )
Toast.

You know, the thing that is most telling to me in regards to the current state of our country and our government is the fact that so many people truly distrust the government these days. Used to be just the "fringe element" that did so, but it is now the majority. It sort of scares me that so many agree with me about the trustworthiness of our government, I might be right, which means we are all in big trouble.

I sure don't think we're doing our children, or theirs for that matter, any good. It's always been a generations responsibility (IMHO) to leave a better place for their children. If so, I'm afraid that we might fail terribly.

OCBob said:
You know, the thing that is most telling to me in regards to the current state of our country and our government is the fact that so many people truly distrust the government these days. Used to be just the "fringe element" that did so, but it is now the majority. It sort of scares me that so many agree with me about the trustworthiness of our government, I might be right, which means we are all in big trouble.

I sure don't think we're doing our children, or theirs for that matter, any good. It's always been a generations responsibility (IMHO) to leave a better place for their children. If so, I'm afraid that we might fail terribly.

Agreed Mr. Scum

Some of you have said we need a CEO to run our country. Ron Kessler wrote this in an article posted on Newxmax.com:

"In selecting the CEO of a company, no one would hold a debate among candidates for the job. Instead, a search committee would look at character, which is a compass to future behavior, and competence as measured by candidates’ track records.

"The media coverage and debates have focused on anything but. Instead, they have focused on atmospherics, promises that may or may not be kept, who is ahead in the polls, and how well the candidates tell jokes and respond to questions from a snowman on YouTube."

Check out this link for the entire article:http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/romne.../26/59790.html

Like Romeny, I am a Mormon too. However, I have strong political opinions and have philosophical problems with both parties. I vote independently. Party, religion, what toothpaste they use, the color of their eyes mean nothing to me. I really hate pork barrel politics and dishonesty. I also always try to vote for candidates who put their constituents first before their party loyalties. Living in South Korea I have been watching the election process from a distance and still hadn't made up my mind until I got an email and photos from my sister-in-law who has been coordinating clean-up projects in the San Diego area after the fires.

It turns out that the Fisher family is among the many victims of the terrible fires in Southern California. One evening the Fishers got a phone call from a volunteer who asked what they needed help with. The Fishers said that they had a burned out stump that needed to be removed. They guy on the phone said he would be there in the morning and would be bringing his dad. His dad turned out to be Mitt Romney. It seems Romney had meetings in California that afternoon but had some free time in the morning. These photos were taken by the Fishers - completely out of the public eye. The press didn't know anything about it because Romney didn't want it to turn into a media circus. Mr. Fisher said he tried to get Romney to stop for a breakfast burrito and some juice but Romney wouldn't stop. He said he didn't have much time and they had to get this stump removed. Here is real insight into the man's character. This guy is genuine and for real.

Attachments

• Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I hate to be cynical but he sure looks to be posing for the photos...really hamming it up. With the web being what it is today, he knew word would get out without the traditional media. It's guerilla marketing 101 these days. The internet will get your message out as long as someone takes a photo or pays attention and there is anything newsworthy about it. Either way, it was cool of him to get his hands dirty.

ChrisAZ said:
I hate to be cynical but he sure looks to be posing for the photos...really hamming it up. With the web being what it is today, he knew word would get out without the traditional media. It's guerilla marketing 101 these days. The internet will get your message out as long as someone takes a photo or pays attention and there is anything newsworthy about it. Either way, it was cool of him to get his hands dirty.

+1 It is pretty cool of him to get his hands dirty. :dontknow: :rock: It even looks like he was using a chain saw! :eek: Let's see Hillary do that! :eek:

Picking a President is an exercise in futility...........

No matter which one you choose, it's usually a deceitful, conniving asshole who eventually shows up for work.....

"In order for there to be law and order in the United States of America, we need to take out all the politicians and shoot 'em down like rabid, bloodthirsty animals...."

D

I believe Tim would like to to take " all the politicians and shoot 'em down like rabid, bloodthirsty animals...." :D :D :D

And I agree:D :D

ChrisAZ said:

If he was hamming it up for the camera, why are his eyes closed in the single shot? If those are fake shots,...they are really well done! The only guy posing is the guy next to him which I think is Mr. Fisher. I happen to know for a fact, beyond disputation, that these are as authentic as can be and the old timers around here will tell you that I don't lie - ever.

I understand your skepticism and I'm not going to try and talk you into anything. You'll have to decide for yourself. However, remember that little guy from "The Princess Bride" having the battle of wits?

Dread Pirate Roberts: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right...and who is dead.

Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me...

We can over analyze the truth until it gets twisted all out of shape. Basically, there are so many falsehoods and half truths floating around that we are all cautious of anything we hear. We even become jaded and make comments like Django's. Whether it was made in jest or not, it reflects the attitude of many voters throughout the country. So, do we just give up, label everyone who wants to hold office as a liar and a cheat and hand everything over, uncontested, to the crooks?

If we value freedom and our way of life, instead of getting our news from Jay Leno's monologue, we have to use our heads to weed through the hype and dirty politics and make a smart, educated decision.

I will simply refer back to the aforementioned need for a CEO. Who, among all of the candidates, has an actual record of success in business and in government? Who has shown the skills needed to turn companies and spending around? Who has the integrity that we need in a president?

Sorry for lecturing but I get very passionate about this stuff.

You know what... I don't give a shit... I like John McCain... I always have. :) :rock: I don't think he's a "viable candidate" :dontknow: But, still... He's an HONEST person (at least as honest as a politician can be). :eek:

If McCain doesn't make it... Huckabee will be my next choice. :)

Selecting a President for our country is so typically political...we never have everything we want in a candidate...we pick our own one or five top issues and attempt to align with the person that most closely echo's our feelings.

Now that is the best case...I fear that most of the country may well be selecting the person that they want to vote against and then selecting someone who is most directly opposite of that person...I have a lot more concerns about that approach.

Then when we have elected someone...the issues really run themselves...we don't have a way to determine what issues to work on...the priorities seem to pick themselves and then our elected leader does what they want with those issues (which may not have anything to do with the issues or the person that we based our personal decision upon) and then we wonder if the President has been elected to do the bidding of the people who voted in favor of him or her, or was the President elected to make a decision about what to do without considering the will of the people?

How about voting for a monarchy?

Prof said:

How about voting for a monarchy?

Sounds a LOT like a DICTATORSHIP.... :confused: :dontknow: :eek:

Or, more tamely stated.... a Democratic candidate.... :D

You are correct, Roy... There is no TRUE "peoples candidate" these days.... the Political Establishment will not allow it. :(

I still believe, another "revolution" is short coming in this environment. The "Grand Experiment" is coming to an end. If we want to survive as an EMPIRE, we need to change. I'm willing to take that challenge, if needed.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back