Pistol Grip Shifter Update

amoparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an update on the Pistol Grip Shifter from Gunslinger Automotive.

Some of you may remember me buying one on my first trip to the NATS in 05. That one lasted for about a year but broke. He replaced it no questions. That one broke on me at the 07 NATS, which was again replaced no questions.

I have been working with Jason of Gunslinger Automotive Products over the last year on re-working the two shifters that I had bought and broken not long after installing them. Together, we figured out that when installing using the stock shifter isolator, the new shifter was a little bit loose, thus causing a forward and backward motion when shifting. (There was no problem when using the solid mounting method) This movement, as well as the holes being laser cut causing heat stress to the metal, and the polishing and chroming, caused a weak spot between the upper mount hole and the forward edge of the shaft. After repeated shifts into third and first, the metal weakened to the point of the shifter breaking off at the hole. I sent him a stock shifter and isolator to use for measurements. (he only had someone take measurements for him before I guess) The result is a completely re-machined shifter handle with the correct measurements. He also made the shifter the same width and thickness of the stock shifter, as the first pistol grip handle was the same thickness from the isolator mount all the way up the handle. The stock unit widens after the isolator up to the bend. This will make the new shifter feel much more substantial as well. He has a batch of 50 shifters cut and has sent 10 to the chromer. Once they get back he is going to assemble one and send to me for testing. He is letting me keep it N/C for borrowing my parts and waiting so long for them. He is very busy and is at car shows most weekends.

Jason has always dealt with me with the utmost professionalism. Replaced the broken handles with new ones no questions asked and then worked with me to correct the issues and build a better handle. I look forward to getting the new handle and installing it. I will write up a complete review with pictures once I get it. I really love the look of the Pistol Grip handle, and the feel is just awesome. :rock:

Stretch

TheSickness said:
Grip it like a Twinkie not a Neanderthal............:D

Now Mikey, you know how much I like to manhandle my shifter...:D

The new one should be able to take any punishment and rough handling and come out just fine.

Stretch

Tooloe said:
PIctures? and a web site?
I'll try and post some pics tonight of the old one installed. I'm waiting for the new one before I take new pictures comparing the two handles.

The website is http://www.pistolgrip727.com
The site doesn't list our shifter yet. He has a bit of work to do on it, but it does talk about his shifters. He makes them for all kinds of vehicles.

Stretch

Jason comes up here to Michigan to a big winter swap meet every year. This year I am going to talk to him about a custom handle I want ti get made up.

I will post results when I have them.

Bill.

HEY THATS THE SHIFTER I GOT!!!!!! i aint broke mine yet bhut should i be worried????

I'm still waiting for the new handle to arrive from Jason at Gunslinger, but I said I would post up a few pics of what I have now. The first two pics are the handle with the carbon fiber grips. The third picture is with a handle that I custom carved for myself. It has since been stained and oiled. I can carve handle sets for you others if you like. Just PM me and we can talk:D

Pistol grip.jpg

Pistol grip2.jpg

Custom carved handle by me:

Pistol grip3.jpg

Stretch

Streetgliderx said:
well i think it is mine only has 2 screw holes in the grip
All Pistol Grip shifter handles have three holes. Two long screws and one short one in the bottom hole.

Stretch

yeah i looked at mine again and its 3... is mine in any danger of breaking???? i am almost sure this has been on the truck awhile...i've only owned it a month and it was on there when i got it

Streetgliderx said:
yeah i looked at mine again and its 3... is mine in any danger of breaking???? i am almost sure this has been on the truck awhile...i've only owned it a month and it was on there when i got it

Unless you are really banging second and third gears, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. My first one lasted over a year, almost two. You could take it out and look at the mounting area of the shifter, the area between the mounting hole and the edge of the shifter.

Stretch

ne one have a pic they can post of the shifter installed in the truck ?

thanks

VIPER

we ought to be able to get the guy to have the pistol screw right on hurst,for those of us who prefer stock shifter,I know there out there but mopars guy seems to do quality work,and the thread size on stock hurst? 1/2 inch:dontknow:

some wone does make a pistol; grip thread on dont they??? there is one in the buy/sell section along with a list of parts from some one..

and thanks bout mine i bought the truck with it on there,... if i have any troubles do you think i can have it fixed reasonable since its an older design???

VIPER said:
ne one have a pic they can post of the shifter installed in the truck ?

thanks

VIPER

Look on the first page a few posts down. A couple of pics of mine installed with the carbon fiber handle. It now has a hand carved solid oak grip installed. I did the carving myself.

Stretch

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back