Piston coatings

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ok here is a question for you fellas having pistons and bearings coated.

How long does the coating last? 20,000 miles, 100,000 miles?

and how do you know?

and is there proof of the coating lasting this amount of time other than someones word?

thanks in advance:D

have seen 200,000 plus miles on the Cummins B model teflon coated piston skirts.:rock:

oh

and

congrats on the new ride, damnit, lol.:congrats: :rock: :marchmellow: :congrats: :rock: :marchmellow: :burnout:

ZCx said:
have seen 200,000 plus miles on the Cummins B model teflon coated piston skirts.:rock:

oh

and

congrats on the new ride, damnit, lol.:congrats: :rock: :marchmellow: :congrats: :rock: :marchmellow: :burnout:

cummins and teflon yeah , but what aobut ours?

and thanks:D

I would expect to see the same amount of mileage out of ours.. at least as far as the skirts go (they really shouldn't be touching the cylinder walls anyways). In the end, it probably comes down to who is doin the coating, the quality of the material they use & the prep work (just like painting a car).

breederofkoi said:
BTW, congrats on the challenger tony, looks beautiful.

Thanks bo:D

the reason I ask is this

on Joannes 125 race bike, its a two stroke and we always coated the cylinders and pistons, but after about 3 weekends the coating was worn away.

and this was the top notchcoating, and I know they did 12,000 rpms but would think a bearing surface would still wear?

Stinker said:

the reason I ask is this

on Joannes 125 race bike, its a two stroke and we always coated the cylinders and pistons, but after about 3 weekends the coating was worn away.

and this was the top notchcoating, and I know they did 12,000 rpms but would think a bearing surface would still wear?

Now Tony you forgot to mention this to me earlier:D Two stroke and four stroke are different:p I bet you had to resleve that motor alot too didn't you?:dontknow:

I am interested to see if the coating would be worth the extra $$$ or not:dontknow:

kyle's srt10 said:
Now Tony you forgot to mention this to me earlier:D Two stroke and four stroke are different:p I bet you had to resleve that motor alot too didn't you?:dontknow:

I am interested to see if the coating would be worth the extra $$$ or not:dontknow:

oopps:D nope never had to resleve it at all , jsut watched the coating on it , kinda got used to the deal:D

I would be concerned that some of the coating could come off and actually hurt things. Being a Service Director, I have actually seen this happen to a few high line manufacturers, particularly with teflon.

Stinker said:

the reason I ask is this

Kinda got me there tony, I can't really think of any reason that the coating would have worn away, shoulda still been intact after only 3 weekends.:confused: You sure the prep work was done right and they were using a good quality material (that's really all I can think of)...:dontknow:

Stinker said:

the reason I ask is this

On all my race bikes I had them done...

Back