Pistons

HV SRT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pull my motor and change the pistons. The Diamonds I installed are to loose and Randy does not like to follow me.:D :D What pistons are you guys running? Do you have them coated or not? Alot of my dragracing buddies tell me not to get them coated. They say the coating can come off and cause more problems. Thanks for the info.

you shouldnt use off the shelf, on the vipers there really isnt a off theshelf piston made, the diamonds are close but no potatoes,all the cylinders on most of the engines are not perfectly circular, so they must either be honed or bored to be correctly fitted, and that means a custom piston.

you will get a much better seal and power .

but the best way is to upgrade to a different rod also to do things correctly.

but coating a piston is an either or, a reputable company does not usually have any problems, after a long period of time yes it will "wear" off, but should never flake off

I've got Oliver rods now. Do you think I should change them out? I've got about 10k on them.

with olivers probably .927 pin size, but now what you can do is have the bore honed out, take the measurement and go from there with your choice of piston.

now you can do either, naked or coated, if naked and you come up a little short on side clearance you can have them coated to take up a thousands or so in clearance, the coating jsut helps the wear onthe piston, wehn you take yours apart, you will be able to see the amount of wear onthe diamonds we are talking about, plus if you have a "loose" fitting , the bore will most likely need honing anyway

yellowfever#154 said:
Bore the cylinders, have pistons made slightly larger, then hone the cylinders to fit each of the pistons.
that is def the best way:rock: time consuming , but top notch:rock:

Thats what I was planning on doing. I will be parking it by the end of the week and should have the motor out and apart by the end of next week. I need to get it back together asap. Tony how long will custom pistons take to get. I also need a dampner, I'm still running the stocker.

depends on how busy they are bro,, sometimes i have gotten them in as little as 3 weeks, the longest I have had is 4 full weeks but they allways tell me up to 6 weeks, but too depends on whom ya go with, I can do the JE now Iam pretty sure,but not pos on the price as yet,butshouldnt be hard tofind out.

Ati dampner?

3 to 4 weeks would be great. That is less time than it took for the diamonds. Yes Ati for the dampner. If you can pm the price and eta for the dampner that would be great. I will contact you soon on the pistons.
Thanks Don

HV SRT said:
3 to 4 weeks would be great. That is less time than it took for the diamonds. Yes Ati for the dampner. If you can pm the price and eta for the dampner that would be great. I will contact you soon on the pistons.
Thanks Don
not a problrm sir:)

TNVIPER said:
Just turn the crank .020 and bore the cylinders .010 then stuff in GM spec pistons & rods..;)
thats basically what you are doing, like in Eddies the billet crank we are doing is set for the oliver gm rod, but you still end up on a basically custom piston.
or at least withing $100 difference between the three.

btw hv srt, I should be able to compete Ithink with my price onthe wisecos, not sure yet,but will find out for ya

and a good set of rings will make a huge difference.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back