Plasti Dipped my spare

BlackMamba50

#10pistonkilla
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to see what all the Plasti Dip talk was about. I threw 4-5 coats on my spare to see what was up. I need to find a can of glossifier to brighten things up. My overall thought is I'll use Plasti Dip on my grille and that's prob it. Maybe the badges.
uploadfromtaptalk1377473709768.jpguploadfromtaptalk1377473719750.jpguploadfromtaptalk1377473727267.jpguploadfromtaptalk1377473737380.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Don't waste your time or money on the glossifier.. Its not that great and will make it look like poo.

Don't waste your time or money on the glossifier.. Its not that great and will make it look like poo.

I've seen some rims that look good and some that look bad. I am going to powder coat my rims local. Think Plasti Dip has it's place but not on my rims.

I've seen some rims that look good and some that look bad. I am going to powder coat my rims local. Think Plasti Dip has it's place but not on my rims.
The most annoying part is when you need new tires cause you have to redo them. I've always used plasti dip as a tool to see what color works best. Dip a few wheels on one side of a vehicle and see how it looks before power coating. After you apply a 4-5 coats of dip and let it fully dry you can apply regular spray paint over it and it will still peel nicely. Like you said it has a better use like grilles, emblems, and other plastic or metal pieces. Power coating is the way to go.

The most annoying part is when you need new tires cause you have to redo them. I've always used plasti dip as a tool to see what color works best. Dip a few wheels on one side of a vehicle and see how it looks before power coating. After you apply a 4-5 coats of dip and let it fully dry you can apply regular spray paint over it and it will still peel nicely. Like you said it has a better use like grilles, emblems, and other plastic or metal pieces. Power coating is the way to go.

Yeah I figured once ya gotta get new tires the lip would need touched up. I think the grille is the perfect area for Plasti Dip. Powder coated rims look best IMO, but to each their own.

How much would it cost to powder coat our rims?

Prices vary from local places. Maybe $125-$150 per wheel. Think I was quoted $600 to blast them clean and then powder coat satin black.

Yea powder is def the way to go. But for the quickness and cheap price, plasti-dip sure does the job. I sprayed mine with the rims still on the truck. Came out great and lasted like 6 months. Going to do it again this winter. "winter rims"

Prices vary from local places. Maybe $125-$150 per wheel. Think I was quoted $600 to blast them clean and then powder coat satin black.

Prices will be even higher if any of you guys have the chrome replicas. My buddy had chrome wheels powder coated a while back and I think he paid $80 a wheel but had to find another company first to strip the chrome which was $100 a wheel. That was 2006 so prices will vary. The only reason he did this was because the wheels were very rare BBS's and were discontinued.

powder coating best you can do is shop around. up here in NY best price i could find was 220 a rim (yeap wasnt happening lol) went on vacation driving to TX guy around corner did the entire set of 4 for 300 dollars. :) and i love the look just need black lug nuts now.

photobucket-5470-1364518813551_zpsd5d0ce53.jpg

powder coating best you can do is shop around. up here in NY best price i could find was 220 a rim (yeap wasnt happening lol) went on vacation driving to TX guy around corner did the entire set of 4 for 300 dollars. :) and i love the look just need black lug nuts now.

photobucket-5470-1364518813551_zpsd5d0ce53.jpg

You can get black lug nuts of eBAY for cheap.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back