Poll concerning our PISTONS!

Should we Proceed

• Total voters
RagunCajun said:
If some want upgrades to the pistons, why stop there. Get some better rods, crank, heads, valves etc. Whoops, soon you will have a fully built engine that cost almost 2/5th's of the trucks original MSRP. Oh wait, you need to upgrade the tranny too to handle the potential power a customer might put in. Add another 4k for a built tranny. Then add a better rear end. Might as well add better suspension. So now you have a what.....$80,000 sport truck. That's a guess, i have no idea what all that stuff cost for a company to put in their production line.

See where im going. You can always make a vehicle better. Theres the added cost. If Dodge made their engines able to hold up in stock form then that is all they needed to do. IMO it's up to the customers to modify to their liking.

So if we take a $80,000ish srt-10, $33,715 Lightning(MSRP on my window sticker) and a $40,000 Silverado SS(MSRP found on google). That is a huge gap. I personally do not think the general public would pay twice as much for a pickup when they can get another "sport" truck for cheaper. I'm not sure of the MSRP in 2004 on a srt10 RC. A quick google search says the 2004 MSRP for the 04 srtram was $45,795 MSRP. That makes more sense to me than something that cost thousands more. Lets not get into why the Lightning and SS sucks. I am trying to say that there's the sport truck market that Dodge was competing in. They had to play it smart.

Granted, some Dodge fans will pay considerably more to get a nice luxury truck with one hell of an engine and drive train(upgrades things like in my first "paragraph"). On the same note, you will have people like me who can not afford such a thing and has to look else where. When i was shopping for a fast truck, there was 3 trucks on my mind. The srt10 RC, Lightning and the Silverado SS. I will not(unless asked) go into what made me choose but price did come into the picture. I did buy mine 2nd hand though.

Hey! Welcome! You came into this fray a little late in the game. If you go back and dig up the other posts you will see that this thread was based on the apparent failure of stock or nearly stock trucks, not the heavy hitters.

The whole pont being that for the money, these trucks should live with moderate increases in power, and darn sure should live with mild increases.

Last edited:
I understand man. But i never heard of a lot of srt10 ram's failing. It has to be a big number. There would of been a recall.

I based my previous post on this...
supercar1of1 said:

You just made the million dollar quote, which leaves the question, is there anyone who would Not have gladly paid the small (relatively speaking)
extra $ for the tremendous (relatively speaking), increase in durability
that forged rods/pistons provide.

Some people would pay more to get a better product. But it might not make sense to dodge.

My apologies for not reading pass page 4 before i post.

On the same note, i really with my truck had better rods and while im wishing, more luxurious interior :(

RagunCajun said:
I understand man. But i never heard of a lot of srt10 ram's failing. It has to be a big number. There would of been a recall.

I based my previous post on this...

Some people would pay more to get a better product. But it might not make sense to dodge.

My apologies for not reading pass page 4 before i post.

On the same note, i really with my truck had better rods and while im wishing, more luxurious interior :(

The reason I purchased the SRT-10 is because my other vehicle(the blown
Town Car) is constantly breaking something(tires,trans,rear), and I decided to
buy something that was supposed to be designed to run hard to begin with.

It was not until after the purchase and scouring this and some other web sites that it appeared that the flag ship component of these trucks may not
be built to the durability level one would take for granted when contemplating a purchase.
FYI: My 5.4 DOHC is stone stock but pushing 15psi boost for 36,000 hard miles, with one oil change and has not used a drop of oil.

Bottom line, an engine advertised as probably the ultimate exotic special

high performance engine that probably added $20k+ to the price IMO,

should be expected to live at the same HP/ci displacement as a $3,150.00

non HP crate motor, especially when you look at the number of years

they have had to get it right!

Last edited:

BIG time BUMP!

Prof's new thread on pistons should be combined with this thread.

BurntRubber said:

Things to keep in mind a genI engine is called "heavywieght becasue of the iron block...hence weighing more...GenII is aluminum...hence weighing less. nothing more nothing less...genII motors are the strongest.

No All Viper engines are Aluminum. Only cast iron one is mine! Gen 1's weigh more because of the wet sleeves and Dodge found more places to remove Aluminum on the Gen 2's to save money! Hence the Gen 3 is lighter and the Gen 4.......

Alot of interesting info here,but gotta agree with "Why didn't Dodge put forged pistons and rods in?" I don't imagine their cost would have been a hugh increase.

The pistons do make great ashtrays however.

I have ten Gen 3 Ashtrays!

Bone...thanks again for standing in harms way again...welcome home brother...and do you have any pics of your wife's recent mods?

What...you thought I was going to forget?

It is all about the money. Reuse as many parts in as many power plants as possible. Gen 4's use the rods and pistons out of the 6.1L Hemi. The Hemi and Viper both are incapable of handling any real boost or power adders. Ring lands are even thinner than what Gen 3 owners have to deal with. So the cost would have been a huge increase because they wouldn't be able to use them somewhere else.

Bone said:
The pistons do make great ashtrays however.
Bone !!!! How ya doing? Good to see ya back! With all these ash trays, I may take up cigarette smoking!:p How's your ride?:dontknow:

pokeytemplar said:
It is all about the money. Reuse as many parts in as many power plants as possible. Gen 4's use the rods and pistons out of the 6.1L Hemi. The Hemi and Viper both are incapable of handling any real boost or power adders. Ring lands are even thinner than what Gen 3 owners have to deal with. So the cost would have been a huge increase because they wouldn't be able to use them somewhere else.

The gen 4 main bearings are a huge step forward...don't rebuild without using them.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back