"Popping Noise"

CantEven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just recently installed Belanger Tri-Y headers with cat delete which feeds into a Borla exhaust. After installing and starting it up and letting it warm up for a few minutes, I could hear loud popping noises coming out of the back of the exhaust. I've driven it around for a couple hundred miles to see if it would clear out. It doesn't do it so much in Park or Neutral any more. In Drive it "pops" intermittently and much more so than any of the other transmission positions. I think this has something to do with the motor being under load. Its pretty annoying hearing what I can describe as gunshots when stopped at a light. Should I be concerned about this? Will this go away after the 500 mile break in period? Will a tune help get rid of this?

I know when I installed my exhaust, It popped a little when cruising and letting off the gas. Its been over a year and still does this. But its nothing like a gunshot. If its popping that loud then something is probably wrong. I would check for damage to spark plugs or wires when installing the headers.

Might have plug wires crossed. Check firing order. ....... that will be difficult......

It pops under idle or under deceleration ?

Just recently installed Belanger Tri-Y headers with cat delete which feeds into a Borla exhaust. After installing and starting it up and letting it warm up for a few minutes, I could hear loud popping noises coming out of the back of the exhaust. I've driven it around for a couple hundred miles to see if it would clear out. It doesn't do it so much in Park or Neutral any more. In Drive it "pops" intermittently and much more so than any of the other transmission positions. I think this has something to do with the motor being under load. Its pretty annoying hearing what I can describe as gunshots when stopped at a light. Should I be concerned about this? Will this go away after the 500 mile break in period? Will a tune help get rid of this?

It pops under idle. Every once in awhile in Park and neutral. More so in Drive while at idle. I don't notice it during decel. Ill check exhaust system this weekend for any leaks. Ignition system is fine. I double checked the spark plugs and ignition wires twice after hearing the pop. I'm no expert but I believe if it was the ignition system or spark plugs it would affect driveability. It drives fine just the annoying pop.

Last edited:
Make a video, it'll be easier for us to figure out what is going on since it is doing it during idle. Record, upload to youtube link it back.

Update

Started driving around this afternoon. It threw a code P0307(Misfire in cylinder 7). Gotta figure that out first but it might have been the cause of the popping noise. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back