Possible 48RE Trans Upgrade - Trq Cnvtr

SlvrSnake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to ask the opinion of you guys here on possibly upgrading to a beefier torque converter. Here is why.

Truck has had trans replaced. Put a valvebody (HTS Transmissions) and some other parts in the new trans because it started shifting like crap and burning clutches.

That was about 6,000 miles ago. I recently noticed fluid leaking by the rear main on engine. Turned out to be trans fluid. Tech has it pulled apart at the moment with a Torque converter and pump on order. Is this yet another weakness of the 48RE?

I wanted to know if you guys feel it is worth while to upgrade the torque converter while this thing is apart again. Or just go with the stock converter he has ordered for it. The repair is under warranty, bought the extended for it. Problem with the after market torque converter, it is a pretty pricey item to just take a gamble on, $1,200.00. If I was sure it was a worthwhile investment I would do it. Just looking for some input/thoughts.

Thanks.

I have a Suncoast 2600 stall converter and like it. Let's the engine rev a little more than stock off the line, but is completely streetable. Mine's a daily driver.

My guys at ATF said the tq convertor is good for about 650hp so unless you plan on upgrading or going FI, save your money for something else!! My tq is still fine after the rebuild going 15,000 miles strong an better them when it came out of the dodge factory!

Im sending mine in next week to be rebuilt, upgrading everything but the input shaft, and I get a billet TQ too....Im going to get a 2800 stall for the track. The problem Im having is I burned up the clutches in 1st and 2nd gear doing burnouts with DR's. If you take it easy you shouldnt have to upgrade anything, but if your going to beat on it, you might wanna think about the investment.

After some thinking I may have caused the front seal to leak. Please chime in with thoughts. I redid my fence prior to noticing the trans fluid leaking.(about a month passed before I noticed the leak) I rented a U-haul trailer, 12' and picked up fencing and materials. Total approx weight with trailer was about 4,000 lbs. (well within the towing limit) Lowe's loaded the trailer wrong and put all of the weight in the rear of the trailer which caused a constant whacking against the truck. This was a one time deal approx 8 mile trip with stop and go, speeds under 50mph. It got to the point where I was afraid the trailer was going to pop off the hitch, early on about a mile from Lowe's where I picked up the materials. So I stopped to check it, trailer was good to go and was not coming off so I continued on. I could feel the trailer slamming into the truck every chance it got. Plus I did not reflash the computer to take out the tune and enable torque management. Obviously, I drove it easy but I was wondering if the weight f'd up the trans because of the improper loading and slapping against the truck. The problem was front seal leaking and the tech did not like what he saw on the trq converter (scorch marks) and the pump was leaking, so he ordered new stock parts.

The reason I mention this is because this may have caused the problem and if anyone has any input on whether they agree or disagree I would appreciate it. Don't want to fork over $1,200 for an upgraded trq converter if I don't have too. I dealt with Dusty at HTS for a valve body and other related parts and he never mentioned the torq converter so I it got me to thinking and the above was the only stress I could come up with. I trust Dusty but don't want to buy something for nothing. I would gladly buy from him again but only if it is a needed item.

I don't beat on the truck excessively and take it to the track once in awhile. No Dr's or FI. So if the trq converter stock can take 650 rwhp, I don't think an aftermarket trq converter is in order. Since I am no where near that kind of power. Just want to confirm this. The stock parts should be here Tuesday. So I have to shit or get off the pot on this one.

Last edited:
SlvrSnake said:
After some thinking I may have caused the front seal to leak. Please chime in with thoughts. I redid my fence prior to noticing the trans fluid leaking.(about a month passed before I noticed the leak) I rented a U-haul trailer, 12' and picked up fencing and materials. Total approx weight with trailer was about 4,000 lbs. (well within the towing limit) They loaded the trailer wrong and put all of the weight in the rear of the trailer which caused a constant whacking against the truck. This was a one time deal approx 8 mile trip with stop and go, speeds under 50mph. It got to the point where I was afraid the trailer was going to pop off the hitch, early on about a mile from Lowe's where I picked up the materials. So I stopped to check it, trailer was good to go and was not coming off so I continued on. I could feel the trailer slamming into the truck every chance it got. Plus I did not reflash the computer to take out the tune and enable torque management. Obviously, I drove it easy but I was wondering if the weight f'd up the trans because of the improper loading and slapping against the truck. The problem was front seal leaking and the tech did not like what he saw on the trq converter (scorch marks) and the pump was leaking, so he ordered new stock parts.

The reason I mention this is because this may have caused the problem and if anyone has any input on whether they agree or disagree I would appreciate it. Don't want to fork over $1,200 for an upgraded trq converter if I don't have too. I dealt with Dusty at HTS for a valve body and other related parts and he never mentioned the torq converter so I it got me to thinking and the above was the only stress I could come up with. I trust Dusty but don't want to buy something for nothing. I would gladly buy from him again but only if it is a needed item.

I would give Dusty a call and tell him whats happening,you can get a TC from Dusty for $1K was the price he told me.

Thanks I appreciate it. I was going to give him a call anyway. I know he won't BS me. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought. That's what this this site is great for. Opinions, Opinions, Opinons....

I would also suggest that if you are going to replace your TC I for sure would bump the stall up to 2600-2800 ,it will react like your taking off in a standard dumping the clutch,I did one in a lifted 4X4 I had (2800) ,sure woke it up on the botom end!

Save your money... You rarely go to the track and no FI. The stock tc will
do just fine for you. Having a ecu and not putting to stock before towing could definitely had caused your problem of scorching.

Yellow venom said:
I would also suggest that if you are going to replace your TC I for sure would bump the stall up to 2600-2800 ,it will react like your taking off in a standard dumping the clutch,I did one in a lifted 4X4 I had (2800) ,sure woke it up on the botom end!

I hear ya but since I have an extended warranty and it aint costin me nuttin to get the new trq converter or have it put in, it would probably be best if I went with that option. I think I have to agree with KickinAss that without FI it is not worth it. Plus I don't have the extra money to fork out right now anyway. I very well could have caused that seal to let loose so I am not entirely blaming the trans on this one.

I guess well see what happens. It has only been about every 8,000 miles or so that the trans gets pulled apart. So why stop now :D

SlvrSnake said:
After some thinking I may have caused the front seal to leak. Please chime in with thoughts. I redid my fence prior to noticing the trans fluid leaking.(about a month passed before I noticed the leak) I rented a U-haul trailer, 12' and picked up fencing and materials. Total approx weight with trailer was about 4,000 lbs. (well within the towing limit) Lowe's loaded the trailer wrong and put all of the weight in the rear of the trailer which caused a constant whacking against the truck. This was a one time deal approx 8 mile trip with stop and go, speeds under 50mph. It got to the point where I was afraid the trailer was going to pop off the hitch, early on about a mile from Lowe's where I picked up the materials. So I stopped to check it, trailer was good to go and was not coming off so I continued on. I could feel the trailer slamming into the truck every chance it got. Plus I did not reflash the computer to take out the tune and enable torque management. Obviously, I drove it easy but I was wondering if the weight f'd up the trans because of the improper loading and slapping against the truck. The problem was front seal leaking and the tech did not like what he saw on the trq converter (scorch marks) and the pump was leaking, so he ordered new stock parts.

I don't beat on the truck excessively and take it to the track once in awhile. No Dr's or FI. So if the trq converter stock can take 650 rwhp, I don't think an aftermarket trq converter is in order. Since I am no where near that kind of power. Just want to confirm this. The stock parts should be here Tuesday. So I have to shit or get off the pot on this one.
Nah I dont think that would have caused it :)

I don't think the trailer had anything to do with it. I've pulled a 3200 lb trailer over 1200 miles -- in city traffic, on the highway at 90 mph, in the heat, etc, stop and go traffic, up hills, etc. While the bumping up against the back of your truck is annoying, it won't hurt the tranny.

Plus, the programmer won't do anything to the tranny either. All of the torque manament is handled in the engine. The only thing that can be programmed in the tranny is wide open throttle shift points (and that is stored in the engine ecu). Tranny pressure is not programmable. It is adjusted on the tranny valve body with a screw.

Your TC overheating is likely due to a defect from the factory. It probably had excess clearance in it and it burned up -- it can happen.

A new TC should solve your problem.

ya trailer had nothin to do wit it my friend has a 10 and i was talkin shit to him about how my HEMI could tow more than him (we were drunk) he was like hell naw he hooked up to my dads small dozer(10,000lbs) that was on a 20ft trailer and pulled it like nothin did a burnout wit it to!(like i said we were drunk and were mexican :) ) 10000 is way over the limit but it did fine id say we drove a good 40 miles wit it to just BSing around

pulled my boat 4500lb all summer to havasu 600mi from vegas 600 miles At 120mph at times and never had an issue ith the tranny and it had 70k miles on it

505'sFastestViper. said:
pulled my boat 4500lb all summer to havasu 600mi from vegas 600 miles At 120mph at times and never had an issue ith the tranny and it had 70k miles on it

we must be related :rock:

I went with the 2800 stall t-convertor becuase I was alraedy in there redoing the tranny anyways. It is up to you , a personal prefrance. But it did wake up the shifts, and low end.

So a stock one is free and upgrading is going to cost $1000... I don't understand the question. Go with free!

Unless you are FI or plan on being stay with the stocker right now. If you were paying for it either way then upgrade for sure. You didn't hurt it towing. I towed 6000lbs several times with mine for a lot farther than you, up and down hills without issue.

daytonahemi08 said:
ya trailer had nothin to do wit it my friend has a 10 and i was talkin shit to him about how my HEMI could tow more than him (we were drunk) he was like hell naw he hooked up to my dads small dozer(10,000lbs) that was on a 20ft trailer and pulled it like nothin did a burnout wit it to!(like i said we were drunk and were mexican :) ) 10000 is way over the limit but it did fine id say we drove a good 40 miles wit it to just BSing around

I have not looked at this for awhile and this post cracks me up. I would have paid money to see the adventure you described above unfold. That had to be a hellava night.:bandit:

Went with the stock TC, see how it does. Like what was mentioned at the end, free is for me:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back