Possible Engine Failure

PLAT SRT-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Late last Summer I bought 2004 SRT-10 Short Box 6 speed. Later I read an article that advised that the 2004 SRT-10s had an engine flaw that caused the Crankshaft pulley retaining bolt to loosen and cause destructive engine damage.
Is this a true fact? The article also said that the problem was resolved in the 2005 model year.

-What was changed on the 2005 models to resolve the issue??
-How can I determine if I have this problem??
-If so, is there fix for the 2004 engines??
-If so, what is the fix and how do I procure the required parts??

I have not experienced any issues so far and would like to avoid a catastrophe.

howdy & welcome to the VTCOA,

yes its true. some '04's did not get the damper bolt torqued correctly. causin the bolt to back off & damper run loose & chewin up the damper & the nose of the crank.

simplest "fix", check and torque on the bolt & torque to spec.

next would be to check the torque & if loose replace the bolt. check crank threads & reassemble with a bit of Loctite.

3rd would be what you are tryin to avoid. repaired or replaced crank & damper

I believe you can get in pin kit from any of our vendors. I just got one for mine from JMB, I believe it was $65

It happens in 05s as well. Have two in the past week loose their damper. It's happened on trucks with a few thousand miles just as well. One truck this past week was an 05 with 105k the other is an 05 with 36k. Both did a little crank damage but as usual the damper is softer so it was useless. I recommend removing the bolt, adding a few drops of loctite, and reinstalling to 140ft/lbs

Yep. As stated above. Just remove bolt, add loctite, put back in at spec'd torque. My 04 one came loose at 75k but did minimal damage. I was two blocks from home at low rpm when it happened though. I plan on doing the pin kit this year when I change my water pump (soon hopefully).

Thought you only needed a pin kit if you are running belt drive air pump?

Thought you only needed a pin kit if you are running belt drive air pump?

If it has already slipped(as it has for me) The pin is extra security to be sure it doesn't happen again. Mine has been fine but I'm still paranoid about it.

Will someone please tell me about "The pin repair" to permanently repair the crankshaft pulley issue mentioned by some of the members.

What is it?
How is it installed?
Where can the kit or parts be purchased?
What disassembly is required?

I checked the torque on the 13/16ths pulley bolt and found it to be
135 ft. lbs. with no movement at that torque.

Will someone please tell me about "The pin repair" to permanently repair the crankshaft pulley issue mentioned by some of the members.

What is it?
How is it installed?
Where can the kit or parts be purchased?
What disassembly is required?

I checked the torque on the 13/16ths pulley bolt and found it to be
135 ft. lbs. with no movement at that torque.

Crankshaft Pin Tool, 92-06 Vipers & SRT-10 Ram Trucks

Since there was no rotation of the dampener pulley bolt at 135 foot pounds of torque,
do I really need to install the pin kit on my truck??

No "need" to but it's not a bad idea. I would at least paint a stripe through the bolt/washer and pulley so you can visually check for slippage at each oil change.

Thanks for the info ICPREY.
Should I remove the bolt apply some Loctite and retorque the bolt to 135 foot pounds? Does loosening the and removing the bolt cause any dislocation of the pulleys or belts? Will I need to take tension off of the belts first?
Thanks in advance!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back