Powdercoating wheels

Harasin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting my wheels powdercoated this week, was wondering if I should sandblast the WHOLE wheel or just the front and the inside lip? What do most people do? Thanks

Harasin said:
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting my wheels powdercoated this week, was wondering if I should sandblast the WHOLE wheel or just the front and the inside lip? What do most people do? Thanks
I'm getting mine done this week also. I am having them do the whole wheel just to be safe.

SANCHOBA said:
they will be much easier to keep clean if coated on the inside too.

Thats what i was thinking.. but do people usually do the width of the rim? and behind the spokes?

i'm getting mine done, too...i'm on a new mission for spring...;)

local guy...$50/wheel if i bring them prepped....gonna borrow a buddies soda blaster...shouldn't be too bad...

Mine were 300, and I brought the rim/tire in..he dismounted, sandblasted, powdered, remounted, re balanced, etc..

Thanks for the info guys, but whats the point of PCing the inside width? thats alot of sandblasting :(

Harasin said:
Thanks for the info guys, but whats the point of PCing the inside width? thats alot of sandblasting :(
Are you talking about the part covered by the tire? I'm not getting that done...I guess by inside I was thinking you meant behind the spokes where all the nice brake dust collects. In other words, I am getting everything done that a tire doesn't cover. And the point is to have the whole thing black.

What do you do if you have minor curb rash... Is there any remedy you can do before coating that would hide it?

Had mine done recently. I took the rims in w/out the tires. Found out that the original coating is powdercoat with a clear coat over it. The powdercoater had to chemically remove the powdercoat...wouldn't blast them because it will damage the raw aluminum...so they said...didn't charge me extra, so i didn't care. They also cleaned up the curb rash I had on one of the rims...looks like new. They did the entire rim...even where the tire goes...got a nice even coat of powder and no worries about having to mask off part of the rim, etc. Did them in Satin Black...20% gloss to be exact and they look great. Also got paint from them to match the center caps to the rims...kept the chrome lugs. They still get dirty, of course, even with Centric Posi-Quiet pads, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as the stock silver.

ViperBite said:
Had mine done recently. I took the rims in w/out the tires. Found out that the original coating is powdercoat with a clear coat over it. The powdercoater had to chemically remove the powdercoat...wouldn't blast them because it will damage the raw aluminum...so they said...didn't charge me extra, so i didn't care. They also cleaned up the curb rash I had on one of the rims...looks like new. They did the entire rim...even where the tire goes...got a nice even coat of powder and no worries about having to mask off part of the rim, etc. Did them in Satin Black...20% gloss to be exact and they look great. Also got paint from them to match the center caps to the rims...kept the chrome lugs. They still get dirty, of course, even with Centric Posi-Quiet pads, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as the stock silver.
any pictures ? :dontknow:

Wheels should be powder coated tomorrow, will post pics when i get em on

Finally got them on. I think they turned out pretty well. Going to clean her up and take some better pics later

IMG_65432.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back