power steering issue

RB04

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few time while backing out of my driveway the power steering has no power ( happened today twice) if I stop for a sec it comes back and no further problems, today there was a squeling involved, sounded like the belt and when I got home smelled like the belt but it worked fine. So my question is how long does the belt last, most I ve ever seen get more then 80-100k before they have issues but as with anythinng on this truck seems like it might be going. I havent checked in the belt yet because its pouring out, (Ive had it happen on dry days as well) any thought, is this a common issue that I dont need to worry about??

if its pouring outside, then most likly the belt may be slipping, but it may not be the belt, check the tensioner, somettimes they get worn, and will loose some tension and cause belt slippage in bad rainy conditions

With it happening while your at low rpm and not driving could it be air in the system? also causing it to squeal? My power steering is just super weak, i bought a new pump and plan on trying that since the 10's power steering pump is known to go out....

Mines been doing this periodically for years when the A/C is on after a rain or I wash it....

Troy's QC SRT said:
With it happening while your at low rpm and not driving could it be air in the system? also causing it to squeal? My power steering is just super weak, i bought a new pump and plan on trying that since the 10's power steering pump is known to go out....

if ya ain't got them, go with Stinker's P/S lines, poly rack bushins along with the p/s pump.

i run the Amsoil ATF, makes for a great steerin set up for the trucks:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

CAUTION: first couple of lane changes will surprise ya, lol.
:rock: :elefant: :D

ZCx said:
if ya ain't got them, go with Stinker's P/S lines, poly rack bushins along with the p/s pump.

i run the Amsoil ATF, makes for a great steerin set up for the trucks:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

CAUTION: first couple of lane changes will surprise ya, lol.
:rock: :elefant: :D

Thanks, i have a new pump (un-installed) new fluid and Tony's lines...just have to get the time to install the pump! I hope it fixes mine cause thsoe 22's are a bit$h to turn while not moving!

well belt seems good to me and no squealing today and no loss of p/s, so Ill chock it up to a rainy day senario

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back