Power steering just blew up

sparksftball69

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woke up this morning to go to PT and truck started fine went to pull out and the steering wheel barely moved....backed it back in and had power steering fund everywhere. All over the engine bay, ground etc. Any help on what is the week point that most likely it could have been. Yesterday I drove it to get washed and a hair cut...never even got on it just backed it in like i normally do...Just sorta random i guess...

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 358
either the fittin at the pump or the rubber hose let loose.:mad:

get a set of Stinker's p/s lines. prob solved:rock::D:rock:

The powersteering lines and oil lines are the weak point on these trucks they leak after so many miles...how many miles on your truck now if you dnt mind me asking? as far as fixing the problem i wouldnt buy the same oem lines again i would go with upgraded power steering lines and oil lines while ur at it. some of the vendors on here sell upgrade.

i have over 60k. It wasn't leaking or anything and drove fine yesterday afternoon so it was just random to me.

i have over 60k. It wasn't leaking or anything and drove fine yesterday afternoon so it was just random to me.

i would bet the fittin let loose:mad:

might as well get a set of Stinker's engine oil cooler lines at the same time. then no mo oil line probs:rock::rock::rock:

prob I'm running into is I just got back from deployment and I drove my truck to reno but i had to have it shipped back and all my tools where in the truck when I drove it there but i couldn't leave them in the truck to have it shipped back? Should i even attempt it with my limited tools i have here? Or just take it in? Another question would i cause any damage if i tried to slowly drive it to the dealership, or do i need to have it towed?

if your goin back stock, just a good basic tool set would work.

if your goin Stinker route might be tough. gettin the p/s fittin out of the pump can be tough & ya need 1"ish socket for the engine oil cooler lines

I had something happen to me like that a few months ago, the steering pump went out completely. had to replace, cost me 628 bucks!

Its pretty easy to change boss! i did mine in my driveway didnt take but an hour or so

I had something happen to me like that a few months ago, the steering pump went out completely. had to replace, cost me 628 bucks!

I bought the power steering pump at Carquest for $50, took about 30 minutes to pull it, swap reservoir, and re/install.

crazy there was another srt 10 in the shop for the exact same thing when i dropped the truck off...

i will have to look at my reciept, i believe it was more than just the power steering pump, because the equipment itself was about 500 bucks worth, ill let ya know later

holy grap...i just got a call back from the dodge dealership and they are saying that it might be some hydraulic pump that since it ran dry which i specifically asked the dealership this morning before i drove up there if it would be ok or did i need to have it towed in because the only thing that it had done at that point is been started and turned off. So now I'm waiting on a call back. Is that about right? i don't know what hydraulic pump they are talking about so I'm at a loss for words.

I have something similar happened to me ....I have tonys ps lines but one day I had power steering fluid from everywhere like it it exploded....now it has been leaking from the bottom of the fan for about 2 months. But every now and then the pump goes dead and I have no power steering at all.... Is this a sign of the pump going bad as well ??

holy grap...i just got a call back from the dodge dealership and they are saying that it might be some hydraulic pump that since it ran dry which i specifically asked the dealership this morning before i drove up there if it would be ok or did i need to have it towed in because the only thing that it had done at that point is been started and turned off. So now I'm waiting on a call back. Is that about right? i don't know what hydraulic pump they are talking about so I'm at a loss for words.

Look on Rockauto,They have a complete rack & pinion for $312.00 VTCoA gets a discount also.

OK so they are saying it is the fan module that may be bad as well where the line connects into it. But 2k to have it replaced seems a bit crazy. Has anyone had anything similar and what did it run you?

Dude that fan module + lines wont cost anywhere near 2k even with labor cost. Might wanna take truck to a different Stealership or even just a normal mechanic

yeah i just said screw it and cancelled my order with the stealership and ordered JMB's electric fan setup and lines to do away with the entire module and so that i won't have any more issues with it in the future...hopefully this will get me back and running cooler than before.... Anyone have any luck with it? JMB Performance & Powdercoat, LLC

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back