Power Steering Leak Question

SRT-Great

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a strange problem

Situation: If you turn the wheel while the engine is off, turn on engine, and power steering fluid (a lot) shoots out of the cap. I cleaned and replaced the cap and it's still happening.

Background: I've installed Tonys power steering lines 2 years ago, and replaced the rack this summer.

It's a 04 RC and just hit 100K this morning. Has anyone seen this before? I can't pass State Inspection while it's doing this either. I'm about to take her to Dodge and pay the 100 plus fee to find out but wanted some insight from pro's before I dished out the money.

It's coming out of the res cap?

If you replace the cap and it's still doing it maybe you have a crack in the res towards the top?

That is normal in every power steering equipped vehicle (unless of course it has electric power steering). If you turn the wheel without the pump spinning it will spit fluid out all over the place. Don't spend any money for them to tell you it's normal.

don't turn the wheel unless the engine is running!! It's easier that way ;)

^^^^^ what they said!! Get a manual rack if you need to steer without engine running and a school bus sized steering wheel to turn those wide 22"s:chain:

Yeah, I figured. Has anyone every put tape on Tony's power steering fittings to make a better seal?

Yea, just wanted to double check. I'll craw under her tomorrow morning and clean everything up and watch her over the next few days and not turn the wheel while she is off.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back