Power steering pump problems

JonByrne13

Reaction score
I recently picked up an 05 Ram SRT-10 with 33k... I have had nothing but issues since getting it last August... I have literally driven my "driver" 100 miles since getting it... that is my rant, now it is over.

My problem: While doing some repairs I noticed that the top fitting on the p/s pump was not fully seated in the pump, I removed the line and found it to be cross threaded. I picked up a replacement pump and when going to install it I noticed a difference where the reservoir connects to the pump. (Please see attachment)

WIN_20150313_130602.JPG

Has anyone else installed a pump with this difference? My fear is that it will not properly seal and a stream of pissed p/s fluid will be the result of my first fire...

Also, I am trying to rationalize the configuration of the adapter piece that goes between the pump and the reservoir, I do not have much confidence in the person that installed the last reman pump and would like confirmation on the correct way to install it. (Please see attachment and reference option a or b in your response, unless neither is it, then just say I am fucked up)

WIN_20150313_130620.JPG

WIN_20150313_130655.JPG

I appreciate any help and moral support through these hard times.

DV13

This is the perfect opportunity for you to buy JTSVP power steering lines. He will have the fix for you.

You may have the wrong pump? Hard to tell?
We sell lines that solve the fitting issue for sure. Steel braided with AN fittings:D

I recently picked up an 05 Ram SRT-10 with 33k... I have had nothing but issues since getting it last August... I have literally driven my "driver" 100 miles since getting it... that is my rant, now it is over.

My problem: While doing some repairs I noticed that the top fitting on the p/s pump was not fully seated in the pump, I removed the line and found it to be cross threaded. I picked up a replacement pump and when going to install it I noticed a difference where the reservoir connects to the pump. (Please see attachment)

View attachment 55592

Has anyone else installed a pump with this difference? My fear is that it will not properly seal and a stream of pissed p/s fluid will be the result of my first fire...

Also, I am trying to rationalize the configuration of the adapter piece that goes between the pump and the reservoir, I do not have much confidence in the person that installed the last reman pump and would like confirmation on the correct way to install it. (Please see attachment and reference option a or b in your response, unless neither is it, then just say I am fucked up)

View attachment 55593

View attachment 55594

I appreciate any help and moral support through these hard times.

DV13

take those reman pumps and thro them in the trash first off, not to be rude, but I get calls daily with the same problem, reman pump, leak, don't fit, so forth
call the dealer get you a nice pump end your worries
the pump on the left is correct, pump on right is wrong, we don't have a stepped, from there you have a adapter that goes in between the pump and resevior
and yessir we make the lines that most others are copying to fix your problem with the leaking ps lines, actually now having our own fittings manufactured to fit all the ports correctly.

been thru this situation hundreds of times with customers sir, end your woes, call us, get the correct items, not trying to make a sell, just end your problems, call your dealer, get oem, all the pumps are is a Saginaw pump from way back when, but they use different configurations of there ports.

but since it is such a popular pump, you will find tons that are remaned, and after a few months you will be replacing it once again and again and again as long as you keep getting remans,
give us a shout Monday will help you any way we can sir 704-234-7598

As others have stated....return the Reman pump. Get OEM new in box only. Stock lines are designed for quick assembly not for longevity. Back when mine started leaking (120K miles ago) folks like Tony didn't have them. I visited my local speed shop and put together my own lines. Did the same for the oil lines...also OEM quick connect junk.

How can i get in contact with your store to solve the fitting/hose issue. My crapped out over the weekend. Not trying to go through dealer.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back