Powerstick mufflers - Need advice

TREKER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the powerstick mufflers on my truck with JMB catless mids, and Bassani's. Straight thru 3" exhaust system....

At an idle, the truck sounds great but it is very loud. It pops like crazy on decel and it is very high pitched and almost deafening when I get on it.

I have heard some members that have added a H or X pipe to change the sound but dont know how that has worked out. I also have lost low end torque as a result of these mufflers.

I liked the magnaflow sound but mine fell apart and dont want to waste money buying another one. My other options are Billy boat and Borla. The BB are what I want but very expensive for even the catback.

I need some advice as to what to do guys. The truck is going into the shop this saturday and I'd like to be able to address the exhaust with a few other items as well.

Here is a clip of the truck at idle. The a/c was running so it was idling a little high. Let me know what you think... :elefant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtzaPOhVWM

I definitely say go with a X or H pipe to reduce the crackles. I have 3 suggestions for you as far as mufflers go (I'm going with 1 of the 3 when I get my exhaust done):

#1 Moroso Spiral Flow Mufflers - http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=714048&highlight=spiral+flow#post714048
These are supposed to not back fire as much and I personally think sound great. I think this is what I'm going to do with my truck. These are my favorite.

#2 Dynomax Bullets - http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=724883&highlight=dynomax#post724883
Definitely loud like the powersticks

#3 SLP Loudmouth Bullets - http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=740001&highlight=slp#post740001
Definitely loud like the powersticks

Last edited:
10banger said:
After actually listening to your video, I would say #2 & #3 are out of the question. I would definitely get a X or H pipe for sure though.

What will the X or H actually do? Will I get a bit more restriction? Also, seems like a lot of work to install a crossover pipe. Lots of cutting and no guarantee of success.

About two weeks after I bought my truck, I had a Flowmaster 50 series Dual installed and the rear resonator removed. Haven't had a bit of problem with the Flowmaster and my truck sounds great.

ccfeyh said:
About two weeks after I bought my truck, I had a Flowmaster 50 series Dual installed and the rear resonator removed. Haven't had a bit of problem with the Flowmaster and my truck sounds great.

Got a clip?

Put your resonator back on, will help a lot. I have the longer Powersticks with my resonator and mine is not near that loud.

FATJACK said:
Put your resonator back on, will help a lot. I have the longer Powersticks with my resonator and mine is not near that loud.

I dont have my resonator anymore... Actually I might.. have to check. But its not so much being loud but the tone. It is loud but very high pitched when I get on the throttle.

TREKER said:
I dont have my resonator anymore... Actually I might.. have to check. But its not so much being loud but the tone. It is loud but very high pitched when I get on the throttle.
The resonator will lower the pitch a good bit.

FATJACK said:
The resonator will lower the pitch a good bit.

What about the low end torque? I have to give it more gas (higher RPM's) to get truck to move. Can barely break tires free in 2nd now too.

Bro, I slapped on an X-pipe from Magnaflow and the sound from the powersticks calmed down to a deeper throatier roar. And she picked up some noticeable power as well. I am so impressed with the X-pipe addition.

Venom Power said:
Bro, I slapped on an X-pipe from Magnaflow and the sound from the powersticks calmed down to a deeper throatier roar. And she picked up some noticeable power as well. I am so impressed with the X-pipe addition.

Ant, that is the reason I asked about the X pipe...

How about the decel pop? You picked up power again?

TREKER said:
Ant, that is the reason I asked about the X pipe...

How about the decel pop? You picked up power again?

The decel pop reduced tremendously and that loud obnoxious ricey sound went away. Yes I picked up more power as soon as it was installed. She felt very different in a good way.

Venom Power said:
The decel pop reduced tremendously and that loud obnoxious ricey sound went away. Yes I picked up more power as soon as it was installed. She felt very different in a good way.

Ok... You've convinced me... Where did you install the X pipe?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back