President Obama's Gun Speech

It always starts off small. Taxes went up on the middle class. No one cares. It's all about what people will get from the government. It's really sad.

The second and tenth amendments come to mind

:congrats::congrats::congrats:
It's an age old argument...per the CDC, here are the US Statistics for 2010:

Number of motor vehicle traffic deaths: 33,687
Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.9

Number of poisoning deaths: 42,917
Deaths per 100,000 population: 13.9

Number of firearm deaths: 31,672
Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.3

While firearm deaths are nearly the same as vehicular deaths, there is no current call to outlaw vehicles, or to limit vehicles to reasonable power. I know, nobody has taken a vehicle into a school and driven from class to class mowing down children. Most of the vehicle deaths, one can assume, are the driver and family. But, let's just for a second say they applied the "no big clip" rule to vehicles, we would all be driving a Prius. It's not reasonable for a person to have 500 hp at their disposal when 130 would surely do what is reasonable. Right? Just like being responsible with your 10 and racing at the track and not in your neighborhood, you can be responsible with the gun and use it at a range.

Like Kurt Cobain said, I swear that I don't have a gun. Seriously, I don't. I just like my freedom to do so responsibly if I so choose. Just like the freedom to obey the speed limit with a 500 hp truck.

In 2011, the latest figure available from the Centers for Disease Control,

Accidental discharge 851
Suicide 19,766
Homicide 11,101
Undetermined Intent 222

Total: At least 31940 people died from gun injuries in 2011.

Also 258 people were killed during legal intervention, most of them due to guns.

Guns were involved, but were not the primary cause of death:
-in 2 fatal accidents.
-in 6 homicides.

Previous years:
2010 31,328 people
2009 31,177 people
2007 31,224 people

And the guntoting, close-minded, no way we need more laws, 30 shot clip firing nuts start falling out of the trees. How in the hell can anybody argue with better laws regarding who can buy a gun? Guns will always be available, but maybe it would make it harder for at least one idiot to not buy something that can kill multiple people. you can make analogies all you want about how you can still kill with a knife or car, but I've never seen a knife or car travel at 800mph or whatever a bullet travels. I'd take my chances fighting a dude with a knife vs a 30 round clip of bullets.
Almost anything can be used to kill people, the OKC building was destroyed with a bomb made of fertilizer and racing fuel.....maybe we should have limits on the amounts of that we can buy. Or even better yet background checks to buy racing fuel:rock: By the way that fertilizer and racing fuel killed 168 people, 19 of which were kids.....also in the Sandy Hook killings the shooter didn't buy the guns, he stole them....another win for gun laws huh? Hey I know, drugs are bad so let's pass laws to restrict/outlaw them......yeah that worked really well too

As far as I'm aware the citizens of these United States still have and will always have the right to keep and bear arms. Period. This will never change. You can cry all you want about your inability to obtain the weaponry necessary to take on an army, but as a citizen of these United States, myself, I'd like the government to keep those types of weapons out of the reach of our citizenry, especially the crazies. Our children are worth it in my very humble opinion.
The 2nd amendment is specifically for citizens to defend themselves against a tyrannical government, which wouldn't you know usually use and ARMY to enforce their will on a population unable to defend themselves....mass shootings are a result of years of bad parents sitting little jimmy in front of the tv to keep him out of their hair or better yet give them Halo so they can shoot as many people as possible:rock:

Almost anything can be used to kill people, the OKC building was destroyed with a bomb made of fertilizer and racing fuel.....maybe we should have limits on the amounts of that we can buy. Or even better yet background checks to buy racing fuel:rock: By the way that fertilizer and racing fuel killed 168 people, 19 of which were kids.....also in the Sandy Hook killings the shooter didn't buy the guns, he stole them....another win for gun laws huh? Hey I know, drugs are bad so let's pass laws to restrict/outlaw them......yeah that worked really well too

The 2nd amendment is specifically for citizens to defend themselves against a tyrannical government, which wouldn't you know usually use and ARMY to enforce their will on a population unable to defend themselves....mass shootings are a result of years of bad parents sitting little jimmy in front of the tv to keep him out of their hair or better yet give them Halo so they can shoot as many people as possible:rock:

Couldn't agree more! Now go install your pulley :)

While I'm not ready to jump on the conspiracy theory bandwagon of the professor from Florida, one could argue that the timing of this incident (for anti-gun people) was impeccable. Obama is from Illinois, the only state in the U.S. without a concealed carry law. I personally do not know what Obama's stance on guns was/is, but he likely is conservative on the matter since he hails from a state that doesn't allow concealed carry. He just won re-election and is letting taxes raise. This took some of the attention away and could be one of the things that many years down the road he is best remembered for, being known as the President who finally took a hard stance on gun control and pushed legislation to change the system. He'll be hailed as a hero because of the unfortunate circumstance at the school. He'd be more of a villain if he just arbitrarily tried to pass gun control legislation. A elementary school massacre is just the kind of situation that will sway fence sitters and many conservative pro-gun people to the other side of the fence. I agree with more aggressive background checks but I don't like limiting magazines to 7 rounds. I personally like my 12 round pistol mags.

While I'm not ready to jump on the conspiracy theory bandwagon of the professor from Florida, one could argue that the timing of this incident (for anti-gun people) was impeccable. Obama is from Illinois, the only state in the U.S. without a concealed carry law. I personally do not know what Obama's stance on guns was/is, but he likely is conservative on the matter since he hails from a state that doesn't allow concealed carry. He just won re-election and is letting taxes raise. This took some of the attention away and could be one of the things that many years down the road he is best remembered for, being known as the President who finally took a hard stance on gun control and pushed legislation to change the system. He'll be hailed as a hero because of the unfortunate circumstance at the school. He'd be more of a villain if he just arbitrarily tried to pass gun control legislation. A elementary school massacre is just the kind of situation that will sway fence sitters and many conservative pro-gun people to the other side of the fence. I agree with more aggressive background checks but I don't like limiting magazines to 7 rounds. I personally like my 12 round pistol mags.
Does this new garbage mean I need to get new clips with less rounds?

So if we do get a ban of some sort in place. How long before it comes into effect. Would it be a long drawn out deal or like boom next week done ?

Probably not right away. I imagine the ATF and other state/Federal law enforcement agencies would get the tasking to help implement the changes and business owners/large retail outlets (Wal-Mart, etc) would be given a reasonable amount of time to sell off their current stock of, say magazines, before having to replenish with smaller capacity mags as well as update their computer systems for the background checks, maybe hire extra clerks to help process the checks, etc. It wouldn't be overnight.

Do you have children?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back