Preventative maintenance

Wildcard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to the 8.3L V10. I feel the truck has more than enough power. Is there anything that should be addressed for longevity purposes. I have noticed more than a few broken valve springs and dropped valves prompting rebuilds. Should these be replaced before its a problem. Would like to know if there are any other upgrades that you seasoned guys think are almost mandatory. Thanks

I have lost 2 valve springs but mainly my fault. I dont fix it till its broke seems like i make it worse when i try to do preventative maint. From what i have learned replace head bolts if you pull the heads and rocker arm bolts if you pull them just be on the safe side. If you have an auto change fluid and adjust bands every 12000 miles

I'm past 160K miles. I follow manuf schedule for most items, use manuf recommended fluids (always) and common sense (when I have some). I recently completed my 50th oil change! With the RC I'd suggest replacing the clutch fluid in the resv at every oil change. I also change my trans fluid and rear diff fluid every 10K miles. Truck runs and drives like the day I took if off the lot back in 2004.

I have lost 2 valve springs but mainly my fault. I dont fix it till its broke seems like i make it worse when i try to do preventative maint. From what i have learned replace head bolts if you pull the heads and rocker arm bolts if you pull them just be on the safe side. If you have an auto change fluid and adjust bands every 12000 miles

Rebuilt my auto at 48K and at 109K have not change the fluid or adjusted the bands. Operates as it did the day I picked up from the re-builder. Fluid smells and looks new and the shifting is 1st rate. Took it by a shop and they said sure "but why adjust the bands when it is shifting perfectly?" :dontknow:

Fluid smells and looks new and the shifting is 1st rate. Took it by a shop and they said sure "but why adjust the bands when it is shifting perfectly?" :dontknow:

Consider the source on this one - this guy will let anyone with an adjustable wrench work on his heap...

Im guessing since you're going by the look and smell test - this is the same "shop" that checked for bent valve using a piece of glass... Or is this the "shop" that didn't put the fuel tank back in right after you matched wits with your neighbor?

latest

Last edited:
Consider the source on this one - this guy will let anyone with an adjustable wrench work on his heap...

Im guessing since you're going by the look and smell test - this is the same "shop" that checked for bent valve using a piece of glass... Or is this the "shop" that didn't put the fuel tank back in right after you matched wits with your neighbor?

latest

Silly little boy, go back to your sand box. :rofl:

You should be the poster boy for pro-abortion. :burnout:

Speaking of abortions, how's that quad cab of yours?

In all seriousness, what are you exactly? drunk, senile or just dim witted?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this... Cuz at least shorty has a truck right now. :laugh::bawling:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this... Cuz at least shorty has a truck right now. :laugh::bawling:

So here is the question - Who has done more damage to an SRT - his "mechanic" or the drunks in your neighborhood?

So here is the question - Who has done more damage to an SRT - his "mechanic" or the drunks in your neighborhood?

I'm assuming the Nancy's that can't handle their liquor in my street, but I've never seen his truck either so.. I don't know? :dontknow:

Rebuilt my auto at 48K and at 109K have not change the fluid or adjusted the bands. Operates as it did the day I picked up from the re-builder. Fluid smells and looks new and the shifting is 1st rate. Took it by a shop and they said sure "but why adjust the bands when it is shifting perfectly?" :dontknow:

I guess its my preference to change the fluid and adjust the bands if they need it. Also comes down to how much you drive and how you drive it. I drive mine about 500 to 750 miles a week and i am hard as hell on the throttle i drive it like i stole it and race any chance i get thats just me though but i do keep up on maintenance every week because of the way i drive it

i apologize to the OP for the derailment of this thread by people that just can't let shit go and bring it up randomly just so they can post something, like a 5 year old begging for attention

I drive the hell out of mine. Change the oil every 3000 miles, keep the fluids fresh and full. These trucks should last a long time. Mine runs as good as the day i got.

i apologize to the OP for the derailment of this thread by people that just can't let shit go and bring it up randomly just so they can post something, like a 5 year old begging for attention

Me too---sorry, I will refrain from reading his posts and keep to the subject.
Really am sorry.

I guess its my preference to change the fluid and adjust the bands if they need it. Also comes down to how much you drive and how you drive it. I drive mine about 500 to 750 miles a week and i am hard as hell on the throttle i drive it like i stole it and race any chance i get thats just me though but i do keep up on maintenance every week because of the way i drive it

You are so right. Most of my miles are highway, prob 95% of them so does make a huge difference how one drives. I like to WOT but most of the time is is at 30+ mph so most likely has little wear. Anyhoo, a tranny shop said it was shifting as it was suppose to so why adjust if all is ok? Jimmy Ling (LTV fame) coined the phrase, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Works for me.

You are so right. Most of my miles are highway, prob 95% of them so does make a huge difference how one drives. I like to WOT but most of the time is is at 30+ mph so most likely has little wear. Anyhoo, a tranny shop said it was shifting as it was suppose to so why adjust if all is ok? Jimmy Ling (LTV fame) coined the phrase, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Works for me.

Ya i totally agree with you if it aint broke dont fix it. I guess i should have said if bands need adjustment then do it when you change the fluid and filters like look at them to see but ya i wouldnt do it if they dont need it no point

Me too---sorry, I will refrain from reading his posts and keep to the subject.
Really am sorry.

no you won't, how many times have you said that and come right back with your dumb country bumpkin shenanigans...

But I agree you are pretty sorry...

latest

Last edited:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back