Price drop on GEN 3 upgrade kit

mopar-or-no-car

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a while back that the gen 3 to 4 upgrade kit has gone on a little price cut...It was right around 10k wasn't it?? Seen one for 7600 but can't find or remember where...Then on jegs for around 8..It's almost worth the cheddar..

I wouldn't really consider that worth the cheddar, it lists on Jeggys for 8,300 still. Even if ya could find a deal for 7500 or so, you still gotta buy headers and possibly valve covers? not sure if those are included, doesn't specify on Jegs. Hopefully Mopar would include them. Also, if the intake is different and uses the twin setup, you will also need new throttle bodies. Somebody chime in on that one, I know its been done before. + a nice tune. The Gen IV heads seem AWESOME when you're building a full built high horsepower engine, but as far as a just a simple heads/cam swap, I really don't think the it's worth it if ya gotta sink 10k in just parts.

However.

Yes, I think they did drop in price, I thought the package was about 9.5Kish the last time I can remember.

I wouldn't really consider that worth the cheddar, it lists on Jeggys for 8,300 still. Even if ya could find a deal for 7500 or so, you still gotta buy headers and possibly valve covers? not sure if those are included, doesn't specify on Jegs. Hopefully Mopar would include them. Also, if the intake is different and uses the twin setup, you will also need new throttle bodies. Somebody chime in on that one, I know its been done before. + a nice tune. The Gen IV heads seem AWESOME when you're building a full built high horsepower engine, but as far as a just a simple heads/cam swap, I really don't think the it's worth it if ya gotta sink 10k in just parts.

However.

Yes, I think they did drop in price, I thought the package was about 9.5Kish the last time I can remember.

The MoPar kit has a different top to the intake manifold and it allows you to use the stock TB or an aftermarket one like the JTSV TB.

I believe my truck was the first to have the Mopar Gen 4 conversion done (in kit form from Mopar). As others have said, you can certainly make out cheaper and make the same/more power.

At the time I did it, the Stryker headers were out of production, and I liked the fact it was offered with some R&D by Dodge.

The kit is very complete, but you will want an aftermarket tune (I sent my PCM to Mopar, but there are some differences in the programming with the Viper car... so that lead to some issues). I had a spare PCM that my tuner used, and it was better. You will also need headers... Belanger made some for me that were no additional cost over a set you'd get for your truck anyway.

Power is significantly improved over stock from 4300-6300, but low-end TQ is not improved.

The kit does not come with a cam, and that would certainly yield significant improvements... but that's more $$ to add to an already expensive endeavor.

2+yrs later, I'm very happy with how my truck runs. But I have a couple of other hot-rods, so I'm not trying to set any records with my truck.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back