Price for custom tuning?

FlyingLow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of price is reasonable for a custom dyno tune? I was recently quoted a price and I thought it was a bit high but I have never gotten a custom tune so I'm not sure.

sorry smoke, the thread is up..all threads started in the dyno section are moderated now because of the high volume of spam we are receiving in this section..there will be some delay before its approved by the staff...sorry for the inconvenience bud.

I was quoted betweem 150 and 300 an hour for dyno time and tune.

Iltemprd said:
sorry smoke, the thread is up..all threads started in the dyno section are moderated now because of the high volume of spam we are receiving in this section..there will be some delay before its approved by the staff...sorry for the inconvenience bud.

I knew it before I posted the thread. No big deal as I hate spam also.

tinygiants said:
I was quoted between 150 and 300 an hour for dyno time and tune.

That is a big difference in price. 3 hours of tuning would be between 450-900 dollars. I would think about 125-175 an hour but like I said I don't really know.

I paid a tad over $1000, from UGR but it also took 108 dyno pulls for it to be correct.

Just a not smoke, you need a tuner that does turbos on a regular basis, this comes from experience, they are TOTALLY different from super chargers or naturally asperated.

if you are down south I recommend only Jason Heffner, anyone else would be a waste of time, or Under ground, but they may not take it in.

FlyingLow said:
That is a big difference in price. 3 hours of tuning would be between 450-900 dollars. I would think about 125-175 an hour but like I said I don't really know.
My tuner is willing to work with me on his hourly rate. He is also willing to let me get in and get dirty to keep the cost down. Bottom line, the more I do, the faster and cheaper it is.

Anyone know how to use the VEC software? He will let me bring my computer and try all the programs I want.

tinygiants said:
My tuner is willing to work with me on his hourly rate. He is also willing to let me get in and get dirty to keep the cost down. Bottom line, the more I do, the faster and cheaper it is.

Anyone know how to use the VEC software? He will let me bring my computer and try all the programs I want.

A boosted motor with stock internals is not the place to learn the ins and outs of the tuning software.

The Gen 3 motor will not stand any detonation. They are called cream puff motors by the Viper car guys for a reason.

Good luck with your tuning, be very cautious and go slowly.

Guys really do ya just not get it!

You have a 50k truck with a "viper" motor, it IS a specialty motor!!

You cant take it to joe smo and expect him to tune it correctly!!

Its not a gm, or a ford small block, they just do not react the same way,

there is very very few people in the entire freakin united states that can tune these engines correctly!

You pay for a $10 tune, you get a $10 tune

My 3 tunes through Joe Donovan of PBJ was $350. His labor rate is
$95/hr...very well worth it for the amount of work he gets done!!

FSTJACK said:
A boosted motor with stock internals is not the place to learn the ins and outs of the tuning software.

The Gen 3 motor will not stand any detonation. They are called cream puff motors by the Viper car guys for a reason.

Good luck with your tuning, be very cautious and go slowly.

Thanks

My tuning will be limitied to "Fine Tuning" of the tunes provided by Roe. Both Roe and my local Tuner believe I am very close to what my trucks daily driven potential is.

I 1000000% agree with every post on here. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! I would not trust anyone who tunes it for under $500

Stinker said:
I paid a tad over $1000, from UGR but it also took 108 dyno pulls for it to be correct.

Just a not smoke, you need a tuner that does turbos on a regular basis, this comes from experience, they are TOTALLY different from super chargers or naturally asperated.

if you are down south I recommend only Jason Heffner, anyone else would be a waste of time, or Under ground, but they may not take it in.

I'm just getting very tired of this truck. I love it but it has been one thing after another with this turbo. I have 2 problems right now. 1. Rich as hell!!! 2. The truck tries to get into best right away from a dead stop. So the truck feels like it hesitates quite a bit. I think this was caused by going to larger exhaust piping. If I thought someone would buy this truck for a reasonable price I would sell it. But back to the tuning I was quoted $250 an hour by someone who can tune viper. However they are used super chargers and not turbos. Hell I don't know.

Edit: Where is Heffener and Underground?

Last edited:
you might try one of those guys tuning 650 hp neons and hondas. they are used to turbos.

heffner is in florida and underground is in north carolina, pm stinker and he might could get you into underground. easy to get discouraged with it i know but hang in there, youll get her dialed in. for 250.00 an hour they better be able to work miracles.

FlyingLow said:
I'm just getting very tired of this truck. I love it but it has been one thing after another with this turbo. I have 2 problems right now. 1. Rich as hell!!! 2. The truck tries to get into best right away from a dead stop. So the truck feels like it hesitates quite a bit. I think this was caused by going to larger exhaust piping. If I thought someone would buy this truck for a reasonable price I would sell it. But back to the tuning I was quoted $250 an hour by someone who can tune viper. However they are used super chargers and not turbos. Hell I don't know.

Edit: Where is Heffener and Underground?

Heffner is in Florida, Underground Racing is in North Carolina.

I thought I was selling mine at a reasonable price but obviously not, no interest. Best of luck which ever way you go. Who told you they could tune a Viper for 250 an hour?

Guy in my area is $360 for a dyno tune. Not sure if it is hourly.

Smoke, if Roe will not do it, then I would get it to Underground Racing if they will take it. They may not. The STS you have is fraught with problems in these trucks...you know that...we think you are the only living STS in an SRT 10...why not admit where you are, and take the hit...if you love the truck buy a new one...trade in the old one (you may never sell it)...the dealers don't know an STS from a cotton gin...and they don't care...they will give you wholesale for it and you will have a new rig without all the issues.

Seems like time to "get her done"...if you know what I mean.

I love the Inferno Reds....!!!

Tuning can be trickey. First we evaluate the vehicle to make sure there are no issues that will make the car/truck untuneable. To custom program the factory PCM on the dyno we charge between $600-750. If it just needs a piggyback fine tuned it is $150 an hour. A tune done well is well worth the money.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back