Problems logging on; ETC.

FSTJACK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a situation that we did not forsee when we started this forum.
That is the huge growth rate of members guests and usage.

We have to have what is called a service provider for this Forum.
This service provider does what is called hosting for us. We buy this service and it is sold in units of what is called bandwidth.
When we started 2.5 months ago we thought we would have enough bandwidth for at least one year. We blew past that limit in less than 30 days. We exceeded the amount of bandwidth that we could use.
We then went to the maximum package that we could without getting our own dedicated server to host us.
Patrick thought that this could serve us for years in the future with out any problems.
We are exceeding our bandwidth again and again at times of heavy user traffic. This is what we think is causing some of the logg in problems. Patrick is not sure if this is all or just part of the loggin problem. He is working very hard to try and figure this out.
To increase our bandwidth from where we are now would cost us 1000 times more than we are paying now for hosting.
We are discussing what to do and how to handle this situation.

The things that use up bandwidth are;

The number of people that are on on the forum at one time.

The amount of pictures that are posted and the size of the pictures. (We let people post pictures that are easy to post and are very large.)

We allow people to have large signature areas with pictures.

The amount of posts that are posted by members. (If you are just posting to increase your post count it will cause us to have problems)(Post Hoing).

The number of smilies and animated smilies used in a post. (Four lines of smilies eats up a huge amount of bandwidth every time someone opens a page).

We do not want to limit or restrict what we have given you in the way of services or capabilities.
We want everybody to have fun.
But as the man said we have a situation Mr Dillon.

Patrick and I have talked about this at length today. He left work early today to work on this situation to see if he can better utilize the resources we have ie; bandwidth.

Patrick or I will put up more information as we know more about our options.
Thank all of you for your understanding at this time.......Jack

I will let this be my last post (ho) of the day then .... :D Someone else may need to log on ;)

Thanks a million you guys and you do not know how much we all appreciate everything you are and have done for us. Poor Patrick had to leave his real job for this??? :eek:

Does this include pics that are hyperlinked or just the ones that are uploaded to the server?

Unless I am overlooking something linked pics shouldn't have any effect on this bandwidth. You are in effect pulling bandwidth from photobucket or wherever it is hosted. Probably a great idea for everyone to use a service such as photobucket whenever possible.

MYuGiOh Motorsports said:
Does this include pics that are hyperlinked or just the ones that are uploaded to the server?

Hyper linked pictures are not an issue as they come from a different server. it is downloading pictures and large signatures with large pictures that use up the most bandwidth. Thanks for the question.;)

Well, it appears that success has it's price.

Please remember that the majority of us offered to become paying members/supporters of this site. I'm guessing that the feelings of those folks has not changed. I for one am willing to pay a fee to support his site.

Keep that in mind gentlemen.

Almost forgot. Have I mentioned today how much you guys rock.

DAMN. I almost used a smiley when I did not absolutely have to. Sorry.

I do have a question. If I post a picture that is hosted on another site, does it affect your Bandwidth (whatever the hell that is).

Hey Jack, one way to increase your bandwidth would be to Delete all old threads.....just need to decide how long you want to save...would increase by not storing old threads if some of those has several photos attached.....just a thought.

Walt

Wifey said:
I will let this be my last post (ho) of the day then .... :D Someone else may need to log on ;)

Thanks a million you guys and you do not know how much we all appreciate everything you are and have done for us. Poor Patrick had to leave his real job for this??? :eek:

Please don't any one get all paranoid and quit what you have been doing, have a good time that's what it is all about here.

This thread is information and we will work it out, we just want everybody to know what is going on. We will figure out what to do, we just need some time to do it.

Silverback said:

I do have a question. If I post a picture that is hosted on another site, does it affect your Bandwidth (whatever the hell that is).

If you post it here yes. If you post a link to that site it does not use our bandwith as it opens in another window.

In computer networks, bandwidth is often used as a synonym for data transfer rate - the amount of data that can be carried from one point to another in a given time period (usually a second). This kind of bandwidth is usually expressed in bits (of data) per second (bps). Occasionally, it's expressed as bytes per second (Bps). A modem that works at 57,600 bps has twice the bandwidth of a modem that works at 28,800 bps. In general, a link with a high bandwidth is one that may be able to carry enough information to sustain the succession of images in a video presentation.

K-80-123 said:
Hey Jack, one way to increase your bandwidth would be to Delete all old threads.....just need to decide how long you want to save...would increase by not storing old threads if some of those has several photos attached.....just a thought.

Walt

Walt, that is a way to increase data storage, but if they are not being accessed then it wont really save us bandwidth. Bandwidth is when you 'access' a page (aka, view/download a thread or post which includes pictures, etc..).....but needless to say, Please continue to have fun; this site is for the vtcoa family and the only reason we bring it us is so that EVERYONE is informed of whats going on (not some forum with hidden information that the members don't know about).

P.S - here is a smiley to help you :) :burnout:

-Red

It's all Smoke's fault. He's the reason there's been so much traffic on the forum, I say we should ban his ass and everyone that changed their avatar to imitate him...that's what caused all this crap for sure...LOL!!!

Texas Yellow Fever said:
It's all Smoke's fault. He's the reason there's been so much traffic on the forum, I say we should ban his ass and everyone that changed their avatar to imitate him...that's what caused all this crap for sure...LOL!!!

And here all this time I thought it was your spousal units hooters that ate up the bandwidth.;) :D

Texas Yellow Fever said:

Bite me.

Silverback said:

Please remember that the majority of us offered to become paying members/supporters of this site. I'm guessing that the feelings of those folks has not changed. I for one am willing to pay a fee to support his site.

Keep that in mind gentlemen.

Almost forgot. Have I mentioned today how much you guys rock.

DAMN. I almost used a smiley when I did not absolutely have to. Sorry.

I totally agree with this..Let us help keep it what it is. Perfect.

FSTJACK said:
We have a situation that we did not forsee when we started this forum.
That is the huge growth rate of members guests and usage.

We have to have what is called a service provider for this Forum.
This service provider does what is called hosting for us. We buy this service and it is sold in units of what is called bandwidth.
When we started 2.5 months ago we thought we would have enough bandwidth for at least one year. We blew past that limit in less than 30 days. We exceeded the amount of bandwidth that we could use.
We then went to the maximum package that we could without getting our own dedicated server to host us.
Patrick thought that this could serve us for years in the future with out any problems.
We are exceeding our bandwidth again and again at times of heavy user traffic. This is what we think is causing some of the logg in problems. Patrick is not sure if this is all or just part of the loggin problem. He is working very hard to try and figure this out.
To increase our bandwidth from where we are now would cost us 1000 times more than we are paying now for hosting.
We are discussing what to do and how to handle this situation.

The things that use up bandwidth are;

The number of people that are on on the forum at one time.

The amount of pictures that are posted and the size of the pictures. (We let people post pictures that are easy to post and are very large.)

We allow people to have large signature areas with pictures.

The amount of posts that are posted by members. (If you are just posting to increase your post count it will cause us to have problems)(Post Hoing).

The number of smilies and animated smilies used in a post. (Four lines of smilies eats up a huge amount of bandwidth every time someone opens a page).

We do not want to limit or restrict what we have given you in the way of services or capabilities.
We want everybody to have fun.
But as the man said we have a situation Mr Dillon.

Patrick and I have talked about this at length today. He left work early today to work on this situation to see if he can better utilize the resources we have ie; bandwidth.

Patrick or I will put up more information as we know more about our options.
Thank all of you for your understanding at this time.......Jack

Gotcha.....

Morning...

Coffee

I am willing to make a sacrfice to make sure we can have titties.

Bill.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back