Projects Complete

JohnnyTruant

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Project Viper ICE and Project Proximity are officially complete. Heres a quick rundown for those interested:
(And please excuse the messiness of the truck, its been a long weekend and I havent cleaned up my mess yet)
Project Viper ICE
ICE standing for In Car Electronics.
I started off with getting rid of the radio and replacing it with a 10.4" touch screen and come buttons down the side to control things. A Dremel and some fiberglass and crossed fingers and this was the result
6CF0054D-BF8B-48FD-8E3E-771CFA090A0A-9233-0000060F99A813C2_zpsbe4fcc72.jpg

The buttons from top to bottom: Line Lock, monitor power, monitor input and the last two are for future expansion.
Next, gonna need something to display on that monitor so I build a computer rack to go under the center front jump seat.
Lifting the seat you are greeted by Sneaky Pete
67018d1342393072-project-viper-b290dd01.jpg

Under that panel you will find the hard drive rack. Harddrive on the left contains the operating system and associated software, the right holds all my media
67019d1342393130-project-viper-5f440d57.jpg

Lifting that panel you get to the guts of the system
67020d1342393216-project-viper-2b575d0f.jpg

To power it all there is a DC-DC power supply purpose built for in-car use. It powers on with the ignition switch and will monitor it there after. Once the key is pulled it will wait a set amount of time and then send the shutdown command to the computer and then everything powers down. It also monitors voltage and will shut down if batter voltage drops below a set threshold to ensure I dont have a dead battery when I go to start it.
To handle the sound, Ive got an amp rack built into the bed.
ECF6FF90-2EAD-48F6-995E-57C93239EB75-9233-0000060FCF1091BA_zpsc5610b1b.jpg

The amps are running the subs under the rear seats
3b35e82d.jpg

and I have 3-way component sets in the front doors/dash and 2-way speakers in the rear doors.
To handle driving around without getting lost there is a GPS receiver mounted under the dash so it will remain unseen. I was a little apprehensive about the signal loss but it works perfectly.
The computer is also tied into the trucks OBD port so I can monitor things.
297F2069-4B5A-4639-8D46-3F71C596291A-9233-0000060FC3D63CEC_zps038d34be.jpg

A1CEC7CF-5975-4539-885B-D141D7E2F477-9233-0000060FBED8204F_zps6db0903b.jpg

42BE81BB-C365-4EDE-8CAF-375109B9AF92-9233-0000060FC9A4143A_zps3f79f183.jpg

In addition, the software can do simulated dyno runs, has a light tree for testing drag times (on closed roads of course), graphs for just about every sensor there is on the truck and can map with GPS a set 'race track' and then provide telemetry as you are driving on the course.
Everything is tied into an easy to read software front end that looks pretty slick and is easy to navigate while driving
EECDFFB8-D43F-4A2A-9FE2-520617BB0130-9233-0000060FB934DB72_zps8ef8284a.jpg

I have a camera mounted in the rear license plate to aid in backing up at night or (if the wife isnt around) checking out cute girls behind me. There is a 1000mW wifi adapter mounted behind the rear seats. This thing is so powerful Im kind of affraid to be near it, I was fooling around with it and picked up the McDonalds free wifi and their store is nearly 3/4 of a mile away.

Full specs of Project Viper ICE
Monitor : 10.4" Capacitive touchscreen
MOBO : ASUS AT5NM10-I
Power : M2-ATX
Amps : Doors: Rockford Fostage Power T400-4 400watt Subs: Rockford Fosgate Power T600-2
Cap : Rockford Fosgate 1 farad
Speakers: Front: T165S 6.5" component Dash: 3.5" Rockford Fosgate P132 Rear: Rockford Fosgate T1675 6.75" Subs: P3D4 10"
GPS : BU-353
OBD-II : ELMScan 5 Compact
Software: Centrafuse, OBD-Wiz, ProScan 5.9

Project Proximity
This one I dont have very many pictures of (youll read why in a moment).
I hate carying keys. They jab me in the thigh, scratch up my phone when I put it in the wrong pocket and I am exceedingly forgetful and loose my keys on a nearly contstant basis. So, to ensure I dont accidently lock myself out while the truck is running (again) I needed a way to get into the truck.
I could of hid a key somewhere on the truck, but thats not nerdy enough for me. So I added an RFID receiver to the driver side mirror that is tied into the door harness. When activated it sends the unlock pulse and the doors unlock. But, then Id have to carry around the RFID tag to swipe to unlock the doors. Doesnt really solve any problems, just gives me one more thing to keep track of, so, I got a little crazy and carefully implanted the RFID chip in my hand. Its a small chip, a little bigger than a grain of rice. It cant normally be seen unless I squeeze my hand as seen here:
FF63CBAD-7F3D-4D3F-8756-0D0FBBB73DD6-9233-000006198B0915DC_zps88c42260.jpg

0488C568-FDC5-4DF1-BAD8-141DAA6A9DCF-9233-0000061990A36D53_zps5676cba7.jpg

Its implanted between my thumb and pointer finger. I cant even feel that its there and it works pretty nicely. I have a vew pictures of the implant going in, I did it myself so the photo quality isnt the best, but if people wanna see em Ill post em up. The wife didnt know I did it, figured shed kill me before I got the chance to do it, so I did it while she was out shopping then told her I slipped while turning wrenches and thats why I had a bandage on my hand lol.
This is the video taken about 30 seconds after the implant to test functionality:

The black lines on my hand were to mark out areas to avoid, tendons nerves and bones and such.

So there it is. Project Viper ICE and Project Proximity all buttoned up. Took a bunch of nerdiness and turning myself into a cyborg but shes finally done. Until I come up with another crazy idea.

RFID, Mark of the beast, it has begun :evil:
Good shit otherwise, impressed

Last edited:
Great idea and follow through bro! Wow! Is this why your tranny is acting up? You added 3,000 lbs of stuff to an already heavy quad cab? Lmfao
J/K :chain:

Thats crazy! Awesome job man. Not sure about the chip implant though, thats pretty extreme. I bet certain world leaders would love this thread.

Totally crazy idea!! But totally awesome!!!

Wow! Thats kinda crazy. Kinda cool, but crazy. Haha. Looks good though. I really like the touch screen idea. Would love to have that setup.

So, now I'm down to rip out my radio and throw in touch screen. I have a extra mobo with dual core amd and a shit load of ram with HD's and a ATI graphics card. So obviously my questions are about how you went about doing the system. You just run a OS on the HD to hdmi out to the screen to run whatever programs you want?

I know of the android app that does all the readings etc From the odb port, you just running that software?

I would look at some security for removal, or hiding that screen or I think someone might have a broke window and some missing gear soon

So, now I'm down to rip out my radio and throw in touch screen. I have a extra mobo with dual core amd and a shit load of ram with HD's and a ATI graphics card. So obviously my questions are about how you went about doing the system. You just run a OS on the HD to hdmi out to the screen to run whatever programs you want?

I know of the android app that does all the readings etc From the odb port, you just running that software?

I would look at some security for removal, or hiding that screen or I think someone might have a broke window and some missing gear soon

Yup, its running Windows 7, so when it boots it has the Windows welcome screen (for now) then automatically loads the software. and I ran a VGA cable to the monitor since its not pumping out any high def graphics or anything. I was thinking about just putting an android tablet in there and not building a computer at all, but I have a metric fuck-ton of audio files and I wanted to be able to truly multitask with media playing, gps, obd and whatever else might be running.

Can it still be started with the key? Or do we need to chop your hand off to borrow your truck? :chain:

lol keys still work =) made sure of that in case I had to take the truck into get serviced or something lol

What are the risk of having that thing in your hand? How deep of a cut did you have to make?

Yup, its running Windows 7, so when it boots it has the Windows welcome screen (for now) then automatically loads the software. and I ran a VGA cable to the monitor since its not pumping out any high def graphics or anything. I was thinking about just putting an android tablet in there and not building a computer at all, but I have a metric fuck-ton of audio files and I wanted to be able to truly multitask with media playing, gps, obd and whatever else might be running.

Ohhhh, so I guess to do anything real with the OS on the screen you would have to have a small wireless keyboard with mouse etc... how else would you type into the search bar for music lol. unless it has a keyboard that rolls onto the screen.

an android tab would have been a good idea, but like you said cant put a million songs without spending a few dollars on a high gb tablet. and the pure crazy factor of a full windows 7 computer running in your truck is better then a tab, i think :p

What you've done is interesting. Although, I'll be honest, the craftsmanship is quite poor.

Did you not mark out the locations of the switches to make them all straight, or did you close your eyes and start drilling holes?

How about the plastic piece around the touch screen, and or how the sneaky pete piece doesn't conform to the same shape as the recess in the opening. The centre item in the amp box is obviously crooked behind the glass.

Cool concept, but it could be done much tidier.

I guess some people have strengths and weaknesses. I could make you some perfect panels and what not, but hell if I could do the computer shit.

What you've done is interesting. Although, I'll be honest, the craftsmanship is quite poor.

Did you not mark out the locations of the switches to make them all straight, or did you close your eyes and start drilling holes?

How about the plastic piece around the touch screen, and or how the sneaky pete piece doesn't conform to the same shape as the recess in the opening. The centre item in the amp box is obviously crooked behind the glass.

Cool concept, but it could be done much tidier.

I guess some people have strengths and weaknesses. I could make you some perfect panels and what not, but hell if I could do the computer shit.

I have plans on remaking the dash peice, working on 3D modeling and printing it, possibly going to a 14" screen that'll control the HVAC so I can delete all the manual buttons and sliders

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back