Pros/cons between 04 vs 05

hcetzneb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First i want to thank all you guys for all the ?? i have asked (and will ask).

What are the major difffences between the 04 and 05. Ive read the tranny(6 speed) is diffrent and the front brakes.. but what eles.. The front brakes on the 05 looks like a easy swap from 04-05

Biggest difference is neither one is as good as a 2006..:D ................................all joking aside I would choose the 05 because of better brakes, wheel hop, 456 rear and other improvements...not to say the 04s were in any way less of a truck..

the badges are in a different place on the 04's;)

collectability (insert laugh here) might be worth more in the 04 because they were numbered:dontknow:

but i'd get an 05...what do i know, though

hcetzneb said:
First i want to thank all you guys for all the ?? i have asked (and will ask).

What are the major difffences between the 04 and 05. Ive read the tranny(6 speed) is diffrent and the front brakes.. but what eles.. The front brakes on the 05 looks like a easy swap from 04-05

Badges, front brakes and rear end gearing went from 4.10 to 4.56. The transmission was the same to my knowledge.

Silverback said:
Badges, front brakes and rear end gearing went from 4.10 to 4.56. The transmission was the same to my knowledge.
John is correct, IMO the 05 is a better buy.

According to an old member that had more than one of both 04s, and 05s, neither one stops any better. Nor I have seen any braking tests that showed 05s stopping any quicker than 04s.

The biggest thing is than 04 insurance is less.

Bill.

I believe the 05s have a knock sensor also.

05 - badges, knock sensor, tranny dampener, rear end gears, emmisions system, front brakes, harmonic balancer bolt...quite a few things actually..

RedSrt007 said:
05 - badges, knock sensor, tranny dampener, rear end gears, emmisions system, front brakes, harmonic balancer bolt...quite a few things actually..

I forgot about the knock sensor. :eek: Getting older.:(

What was changed with the emmisions?:dontknow:

mine was an 04 and the the brakes just felt different than my buddies 05. I like my 04 better in that sense. plus the mine felt like it pulled harder after 100 than his 05 but the 05 is a lot more fun for around town driving. looking back on it now I would have got an 05 just because how often are you over 100 in a big city.

heck I think i would get an 06 because I like the front end and dash a lot better

i got the '04 because thats the truck they set the speed record in. notice how they didn't try again with an '05? i wonder if it got heavier. with lower gearing in the rear i am betting an '05 would get worse fuel mileage...

scoobert said:
i got the '04 because thats the truck they set the speed record in. notice how they didn't try again with an '05? i wonder if it got heavier. with lower gearing in the rear i am betting an '05 would get worse fuel mileage...
because nobody challenged it;)

but...i bet the 05's get better mileage in the city mainly because of the taller gearing...it takes a lot to get them rolling, ya know?

does make you wonder, tho...

Thanks for the input.. I picked up the 04 mainly because of the gearing.. i do alot of highway driving and will be taking the truck to work a couple times a week so it will help with mpg..

Sorry but pet peeve of mine....Its NOT dampener its damper! You are correct however in that 05 did have upgraded tail housing and attached damper on the 6 spds. :p

Chuck B said:
Sorry but pet peeve of mine....Its NOT dampener its damper! You are correct however in that 05 did have upgraded tail housing and attached damper on the 6 spds. :p

My apologies..sheesh dont be such a dampener on things :p

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back