Pulley issues continue to haunt me. Help!

Privatetoe82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have changed out my idler pulley 3 times now, and got a new water pump. Also a new belt. I had a pulley sqeek that went away for a little bit after each idler and after the water pump. But it continues to come back and haunt me. From what i can tell, it sounds like it may be either the power stearing pump or maybe the ac compressor pulley that is making the noise. Is it possible to change out the power stearing pulley without changing the whole pump? Im kinda just screwed if it is the ac compressor because i dont have tons of extra money to buy a new compressor. I mite also just try a new water pump and another factory idler, but i also dont want to just waste money changing out parts that i already just changed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you not replicate sound with belt off and spinning each pulley one at a time? You should be able to pinpoint it this way. Good luck, I know its driving you nuts:eek:

I always thought my problem was the Idler or Tensioner.... then the P/S pump blew replaced it and wham no more squeel.

I always thought my problem was the Idler or Tensioner.... then the P/S pump blew replaced it and wham no more squeel.

what he said!!...............or else there might be a belt misalignment ..........Have you checked your harmonic balancer bolt?

Well i put on my underdrive pulley, and made sure all those bolts where tight, and even double checked them not to long ago. So i dont think is the balancer. I really think it may be my power stearing pump. And if i am going to remove it anyway to replace the pulley, then i am thinking that i should probably just replace the pump as well. One less thing to worry about in the future.

go buy yourself some cheap stethascopes or how the hell ever ya spell it or get a 3 ft section of 3/4 heater hose, as the engine is running and you have to be VERY careful, set the hose on each accessory, that way you can pinpoint the noise, you put the hose on the accessory, your ear to the other end btw
but that way you can isolate the noise or the area.
we have had a few alternators make the noise

Spray some wd-40 on the face of the AC compressor and see if it will go away.

Well i think it may be my belt got contaminated. I used a wire brush to clean it while it was running, and so far it seems better. Ill know for sure over the next couple days with some more cold startups, cause thats when it happens.

Well i put on my underdrive pulley, and made sure all those bolts where tight, and even double checked them not to long ago. So i dont think is the balancer. I really think it may be my power stearing pump. And if i am going to remove it anyway to replace the pulley, then i am thinking that i should probably just replace the pump as well. One less thing to worry about in the future.

There are 6 bolts that hold the pulley to the balancer. There is one bolt in the middle that needs locktite Nd to. E bottomed out . And tight. Just check the belt alignment of the pulley's .

Well, it had gone away for about a week or 2. Now its back, so I dove into it again. The squeek is definitely coming from the idler pulley. Changed it out and got worse. Sanded dow the old one and it helped a little. One thing I did notice, if I ever so slightly use a screwdriver or something to push the belt a hair away from the motor, the squeeek totally goes away. Im talking maybe a millimeter that I move it. If that. Its just enough to have a little pressure. And if I do the same thing, but pushing towards the motor, it scrwems twice as loud. I noticed that my power stearing pump has a slight wobble to it. Seems to be tight though. Is there a possibilty that the powersteering pump or pulley could be could be very slightly off, causing the belt to rub on the idler in such a way as to cause it to squeek?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I just bought a new p/s pulley the other day from the dealer. It was 78 bucks, but seems to be a lot better quality than what was on it. The old one was chewing the belt a little bit on the edge, and I had a squeak, like you, that kept coming back. Idk if its fixed, haven't fired it up.

doesn't sound like you tightened the harmonic balance bolt!

Power steering pump from CARQUEST is like $80 here. Replace it and the belt with a good quality one. My truck had the same squeal and that fixed the problem on mine. Been over a year and still no issues. I would try a bypass belt before I replaced an A/C compressor.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back